DVDVR Message Board

Annual WWE Future Endeavoring Thread

Anyone remember short lived WWECW ring announcer Lauren Mayhew?  I loved her announcing because she had her own cadence and she's been the only ring announcer they've had in the last 20 years that wasn't doing a bad Howard Finkel impersonation.  Plus she always announced the champ as your ECW Champion instead of the ECW Champion which I love.

• Like 1

Agreed, pretty sure Bauer even said he had confirmed it with "sources in WWE" or something. Glad Lilian is staying, always liked her a lot.

I also thought Lauren Mayhew was great in her brief stay. Good singer too when they did the anthems.

I love when random little ring announcer things catch on, like Tony Chimel's "Rated R Suuuuuuuuuuuuuperstar" intro for Edge. I think it's Eden lately that's been doing a pretty good intro for Kevin Ohhhhwens.

On the latest Cabana podcast, Justin Roberts talks about getting chewed out by Vince for "going into business for himself" when he would intro John Cena.  Roberts said he'd always try and hold the "CEEENNNAAA" until Cena hit the ring.

• Like 1

Chimel had a good "Jaaaaahn Cena" too.

When they fired/didn't renew Roberts, I remember reports saying they were going "in a different direction." It seemed like that meant "young pretty women," but they've really homogenized how everyone sounds since then too. Didn't really hit me until I listened to Melissa Santos in LU, but no one in WWE as any unique little quirks anymore. Everyone gets introduced the same way from NXT all the way up the line (with the exception of name changes like Cass). I wonder if they have a voice coach or somebody that wrote a master list of intros with inflection cues and everything.

22 hours ago, Wyld Samurai said:

All this talk of announcers makes me miss Gary Michael Cappetta and Dave Penzer.

Cappetta was great. I didn't like when Eric brought in Penzer. I can't remember who's podcast it was, one of the main ones, but Gary made for a great guest. Worth listening to. 

You know who was a bad announcer in Wrestling? Michael Buffer. He was worse in the early UFC though. It's odd because he's great in his real job in Boxing... and Jimmy Lennon Jr is just as good no matter what he's announcing. But take Michael Buffer out of a boxing ring and for some reason he goes terrible.

Li'l Bro Bruce is better.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, AxB said:

You know who was a bad announcer in Wrestling? Michael Buffer. He was worse in the early UFC though. It's odd because he's great in his real job in Boxing... and Jimmy Lennon Jr is just as good no matter what he's announcing. But take Michael Buffer out of a boxing ring and for some reason he goes terrible.

Brett the Hitman Clark is in full agreement with this post. 

Michael Buffer has a great voice, but you can tell he didn't know shit about wrestling. Also whoever wrote his cue cards was terrible too. If he had to read special rules or stipulations it was always super awkward like English wasn't his first language or something. I guess if he wrote his own cards, he was really terrible.

On the good side, nothing beats Howard Finkel introducing the Undertaker or declaring a NEEEEEEWWWWW World Wrestling Federation champion.

• Like 2

My favorite Michael Buffer memory was watching Nitro with my dad as a kid and my dad just shitting on Buffer.

"The main event is starting with 9 minutes to go until 11? It'll take this fucker 9 minutes just to do the introductions!"

• Like 6

Meltzer on his radio show last night did say that there were people in the WWE who believed (and told him) that Lillian Garcia was indeed let go.

He said Garcia was one of the names he was told was coming in the 2nd batch of folks (that ended up being Brawler, Christian)

He said he asked the WWE officially and they never got back to him

15 hours ago, AxB said:

Is there another case where the lesser known brother is clearly and totally better than the more famous brother?  There are plenty of Billy Ripkens and Frank Stallones out there, but Bruce is head and shoulders better than Michael.

On 5/14/2016 at 6:27 PM, nofuture said:

On the latest Cabana podcast, Justin Roberts talks about getting chewed out by Vince for "going into business for himself" when he would intro John Cena.  Roberts said he'd always try and hold the "CEEENNNAAA" until Cena hit the ring.

That was great. "GOD DAMMIT YOU'RE JUST TRYING TO GET YOURSELF OVER."

Gary Capetta was awesome.  Did he start every intro with "wrestling fans..." or just the major ones?

There was one guy who did the call for, I want to say, the Starrcade cage match between the Rock & Roll Express and the Andersons and he was insane.  He took this deep hoarse breath between every other word.  "Ricky (suck wind) and Robert (gasp) The Rock (suuuck) and Roll (gaaaasp) Express!"  IIRC, he even added his own little flourishes, referring to the RNR as "THE VASTLY POPULAR."

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

He said Garcia was one of the names he was told was coming in the 2nd batch of folks (that ended up being Brawler, Christian)

Is this just a formality on his active wrestler deal, or is he out completely? I'm worried about the future of the E/C show...