DVDVR Message Board

E3 2016

RIPPA

So if I read this right, all the new XBOX versions are gonna play nice together, in terms of online play.  Really hoping that's the case, or getting a few of us online at the same time will be next to impossible, with everybody on different systems.

There's no way I'll own a TV that can take advantage of the Scorpio anytime soon, so I'm sticking with my original XBONE.  Though it would almost be worth it to get one just to see how much fun it would be trying to connect the thing to the 13 inch rabbit ear TV I have in my office.  It would probably take a dozen adapters get that shit to work.

Looks like that stock tumble after the announcement of PS4 Neo was premature. 

Sony is making the best case as to why you should be excited about VR. 

Software sales drive hardware sales and VR can be the thing that convinces people to make an investment in a Neo and the associative peripherals.

As someone who gets horrible motion sickness from first person games, this shift to VR saddens me.  I've played every Arkham game, but I know I'd only get through a minute or two of Arkham VR before I need to throw up.

9 minutes ago, Andrew POE! said:

All Microsoft has to do is sell Halo and they will maintain their existence with Xbox. Or offset it with selling Windows 10 PC's.

They will have to do way more than that since this year they pretty much conceded the early share of the VR market to Sony.

I appreciate Microsoft building me a current gen console I can afford, but that is not exactly a forward thinking business model.

Scorpio is obviously built with VR potential in mind but WHERE ARE THE APPS AND THE PERIPHERALS~?  Every VR title that Sony showcased is a convincing argument from nearly every genre you can imagine to invest in that hardware.

26 minutes ago, Vgmastr said:

As someone who gets horrible motion sickness from first person games, this shift to VR saddens me.  I've played every Arkham game, but I know I'd only get through a minute or two of Arkham VR before I need to throw up.

VR games will always be a niche.  VR is there to sell the potential of ER.

God of War, Spiderman, and Horizon: Zero Dawn are day one purchases for me.

Maybe Detroit too if I can get over David Cage's shitty dialogue. 

PSVR can suck it, on the other hand. 

This is the 2nd year in a row that my wife watched the Xbox and then Sony because she loves watching the game trailers even though she never plays anything but like Burnout.

And it's the 2nd year that the Sony conference completely had her freaking out and wanting to buy a new console even if just to watch the games like stories.

That's great for me! And I have Sony's expertise at putting on a real goddamn show to thank for it.  Dvorak and Tchaikovsky and every single game they showed hooked both of us in more than anything in the XBOX show.

And that was without them even mentioning No Man's Sky!

I am all the way in on HORIZON at this point.  And I've never played the God of War series, but I'm intrigued by this new iteration that was apparently ghostwritten by Naughty Dog.

And I'll be damned if that Arkham teaser didn't have me completely rethinking my "Nope, not for me" stance on VR.

7 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Detroit was the one game I didn't like. The concept was kind of cool but the graphics and dialogue were just ugh.

I totally get this, but I liked the parts of L.A. Noire where you looked for clues and grilled people, and this looks like that except with multiple narrative pathways, so I guess I'll have to endure the terrible, sub-Heavy Rain dialogue. 

I guess the only thing I have to say is I made it through all of those press conferences and don't really want to play anything anyone talked about. As in, I was plotting on buying three games in the future (Last Guardian, Pokemon Moon, Destiny expansion) and they failed to add anything through all of that. I guess I'll have to go look up what Devolver Digital has at their mini event? And also I have a vague curiosity in Zelda, but not exactly hope.

Credit is due for We Happy Few and Resident Evil though. Those games look great, I just can't handle horror.

4 hours ago, piranesi said:

So does anyone yet know enough about the Neo to be able to say if I would end up being a chump to drop $$$ on a PS4 this year? 

Is it basically the same deal as the Scorpio?

Are the VR games going to suck without it?

The Neo will probably get announced closer to the release window.....I imagine we're going to hear about the Neo at PSX this year. I have a feeling that yes, VR games will suck without the Neo. Also, I really don't feel that there's anything that makes me want to get a PSVR. It feels like tech demos, not actual games.

Sony at this point really doesn't need to do anything to win this generation but the more I reflect about their conference last night, the more I was disappointed that the games I'm really excited about (God of War, Days Gone, Detroit, Death Stranding, etc.) do not have release dates. That's the one thing that Microsoft has over Sony is their AAA games have more specifics when they are announced; they just don't have enough of them. I don't get why Microsoft doesn't look at their first party studios and do moves like what Sony did -- Sony has a studio that made Syphon Filter and PSP/Vita games making a blockbuster action game.

To give an example -- Black Tusk (or The Coalition) had that amazing stealth demo at a previous E3. If that was a demo at Sony, it would have been an actual game. But at Microsoft, it gets cancelled and Black Tusk becomes "the Gears of War studio."

Essentially, I would love to see Microsoft have a first party game that's ghostwritten by Naughty Dog.