DVDVR Message Board

[Best Of] Top 110 Movies of 2010 - 2014

Chaos

22 minutes ago, The Natural said:

Yeah!

Yeah again!

I am serious though :). I just got back from Roo, and I can knock out a few each night. I'm taking off for most of the week exercise-wise so that I can recover from the Post-Roo sinus infection affectionately known as Bonnaflu.

• Like 1

Just now, Chaos said:

I am serious though :). I just got back from Roo, and I can knock out a few each night. I'm taking off for most of the week exercise-wise so that I can recover from the Post-Roo sinus infection affectionately known as Bonnaflu.

Feel better soon.

Well, I caught mistake and found one duplicate film I missed that bumped it into a much higher, more accurate position, but also means everything moved up about a spot, so the next few films will seem off because of it, but I'll correct everything before after I finish the list. Also, probably only posting this and one other tonight. Have had a long night but wanted to start 

Spoiler

rango-street-9.jpg

86.  Rango - 2011 -  Gore Verbinski (118 Points, 2 Votes)
High Vote - @The Natural - #21
IMDB

Rotten Tomatoes - 87%
Metacritic - 75

What Critics Said? 
Ignoring the weak storyline entirely, Rango is a joyously weird experience, far more concerned with texture and flavor than with elaborate narrative. - Tasha Robinson

What Letterboxd Users Said?

This is up there with Hertzfeldt's work for best contemporary animated film.

- Dan Doherty

• Like 1

This director is one of my favorite discoveries of this decade. I am surprised this film garnered a few votes to make this list. His other film would have been my only prediction for that. 

Spoiler

berenice-bejo-asghar-farhadi-the-past-4.

85.  The Past (Le passé) - 2013 -  Asghar Farhadi (118 Points, 3 Votes)
High Vote - @The Z #18
IMDB

Rotten Tomatoes - 93%
Metacritic - 85

What Critics Said? 
It’s almost impossible to describe the narrative specifics of The Past without making the movie seem ridiculously hammy. Indeed, several twists involving Samir, a dry cleaner with plenty of his own troubles, tip a bit into hoary melodramatics. - Keith Uhlich - Time Out New York

Damn! Iranian filmmaker Asghar Farhadi has crafted a drama in The Past that cuts deep. Having seen his film A Seperation I expected similar themes about culture and divorce, but what I got was a film about the choices we make in life and how they affect others. A film about how decisions that we think are personal can do irreparable harm to those arounds us

- Yorel1976

• Like 2

Farhadi is one of my favorite current filmmakers as well. I've only seen three films of his, but all three have been excellent. His older ones seem to be harder to find, but I can't wait to see his new one that just debuted at Cannes.

Spoiler

Berberian-Sound-St_2261783b.jpg

83 (tied).  Berberian Sound Studio - 2013 -  Peter Strickland (120 Points, 3 Votes)
High Vote - @Execproducer #18
IMDB

Rotten Tomatoes - 84%
Metacritic - 80

What Critics Said? 
Strickland's Berberian Sound Studio is one horror film that opts to skip the usual frolic among those metaphorical monsters in favor of a deeply unsettling dive into the subconscious.- Ian Buckwalter - NPR

I would say that Berberian Sound Studio would sit as a great middle part of a triple bill bookended by Mulholland Dr. and Blow Out, bridging the two perfectly. It shares the latter's delightful affection for the sound-making process but that's not all that Strickland has managed to pull off here. He manages to pull you along on a very simple journey only to have the nerve to ask you if you can carry the film the rest of the way.

- Settingsun

Spoiler

tinker-b.jpg

83. (tie)  Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy - 2011 -  Tomas Alfredson (120 Points, 3 Votes)
High Vote - @Control #23
IMDB

Rotten Tomatoes - 83%
Metacritic - 85

What Critics Said? 
It's a treat to be back in Le Carré's world, where amid the tangle of plots and counterplots there are moments of lucidity when you sit up and say, "I've got it now!" - David Edelstein

I must admit this is the biggest turnaround I have ever had from a re-watch. First time i saw it I really found this boring and pretty much hated it. Forced myself to watch it again on blu and made sure I payed attention and was fully rewarded. I really love this film now. Dont think I watched the same film but I did. Its brilliantly shot and the story is complex but really works well. So glad I persevered with this one.

- thegreatsd

Spoiler

23BABADOOK2-articleLarge.jpg

82. The Babadook -  2014 -  Jennifer Kent (122 Points, 3 Votes)
High Vote - @S.K.o.S. #22
IMDB

Rotten Tomatoes - 98%
Metacritic - 86

What Critics Said? 
So many horror films trade depth for a thrill. The Babadook has both. It dispenses with cheap scares and draws tension from a slowly enveloping dread. And when you think you know where it’s going, that’s when it goes in for the kill.  - David Rooney

As the years pass and time lapses, I can see The Babadook destined to settle in my memory as the film that introduced a refreshing and restorative concept in horror and succeeded immensely in being both hearty and hair-rising at the same time.

- Peaceful Stoner

Spoiler

24ENTER-1-articleLarge.jpg

81. Enter the Void -  2010 -  Gaspar Noé (124 Points, 2 Votes)
High Vote - @New Blood #16
IMDB

Rotten Tomatoes - 71%
Metacritic - 69

What Critics Said? 
A picture that's by turns inventive, tender and boring, and one that uses a variety of novelty point-of-view techniques: If Penisvision isn't your thing, then Vagin-o-rama just might float your boat. - Stephanie Zacharek

This piece of art will assault your senses, pierce your soul and hijack your emotions. The vibrant neon cinematography and explosions of color and sound create one of the most alive and creatively passionate portraits of life and death I have ever seen

- PinheadLarry145

Spoiler

Untitled16.jpg

80.  MacGruber - 2010 -  Jorma Taccone (126 Points, 2 Votes)
High Vote - @Jingus - #19
IMDB

Rotten Tomatoes - 47%
Metacritic - 43

What Critics Said? 

Today we dig anti-comedy, thinking that we discovered the joke, and director Jorma Taccone understands that odd tone of straight-faced, almost surrealist bluster. - Amy Nicholson - Boxoffice Magazine

There's a certain charm to Forte's titular character, who is basically the worst and most annoying person on the planet, and he is offset well by Ryan Phillippe and the ever-wonderful Kristen Wiig.

- Sienna D.

Without looking at the list, this could be the highest ranked poorly received critical film on this ballot.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Chaos said:
  Hide contents

Without looking at the list, this could be the highest ranked poorly received critical film on this ballot.

On this one: motherFUCK the critics, they were all a bunch of total goddamned idiots.  Macgruber was brilliant and hilarious, the best parody of 80s-style action movies since Hot Shots Part Deux.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jingus said:

On this one: motherFUCK the critics, they were all a bunch of total goddamned idiots.  Macgruber was brilliant and hilarious, the best parody of 80s-style action movies since Hot Shots Part Deux.  

It's funny because I remember the buzz around the movie being positive, so I was shocked to see the low ratings. I rented it and for some reason never watched it.

21 hours ago, Chaos said:
  Hide contents

23BABADOOK2-articleLarge.jpg

82. The Babadook -  2014 -  Tomas Alfredson (122 Points, 3 Votes)
High Vote - @S.K.o.S. #22
IMDB

Rotten Tomatoes - 98%
Metacritic - 86

What Critics Said? 
So many horror films trade depth for a thrill. The Babadook has both. It dispenses with cheap scares and draws tension from a slowly enveloping dread. And when you think you know where it’s going, that’s when it goes in for the kill.  - David Rooney

As the years pass and time lapses, I can see The Babadook destined to settle in my memory as the film that introduced a refreshing and restorative concept in horror and succeeded immensely in being both hearty and hair-rising at the same time.

- Peaceful Stoner

My wife started watching Miss Fisher Mysteries and I'm absolutely shocked that it's the same lead actress. Makes me appreciate her in this even more--and I was already impressed.

21 hours ago, Chaos said:

Hide contents

tinker-b.jpg

83. (tie)  Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy - 2011 -  Tomas Alfredson (120 Points, 3 Votes)
High Vote - @Control #23
IMDB

Rotten Tomatoes - 83%
Metacritic - 85

What Critics Said? 
It's a treat to be back in Le Carré's world, where amid the tangle of plots and counterplots there are moments of lucidity when you sit up and say, "I've got it now!" - David Edelstein

I must admit this is the biggest turnaround I have ever had from a re-watch. First time i saw it I really found this boring and pretty much hated it. Forced myself to watch it again on blu and made sure I payed attention and was fully rewarded. I really love this film now. Dont think I watched the same film but I did. Its brilliantly shot and the story is complex but really works well. So glad I persevered with this one.

- thegreatsd

Gary Oldman can be such a glorious ham, but this is such a restrained performance. I'm totally uninterested in the mystery aspect of the narrative, but completely captivated by the cinematography and the performances.

and Christ, what a cast.

• Like 1

Spoiler

argo-trailer-ben-affleck.jpg

78 (tied).  Argo - 2012 -  Ben Affleck (128 Points, 2 Votes)
High Vote - @The Natural - #9
IMDB

Rotten Tomatoes - 96%
Metacritic - 86

What Critics Said? 

Argo is a triumph. It has tension, sincerity, mystery, artistic responsibility, entertainment value, technical expertise, a narrative arc and a thrilling respect for the tradition of how to tell a story with minimum frills and maximum impact. It's a great footnote to history, one of the best films of 2012 and a sure-fire contender on Oscar night. - Rex Reed

Tighter editing and deeper character development would have given this otherwise intelligent-yet-conventional political suspense thriller a more timeless appeal. Ultimately, Argo ends up being a fairly overrated Oscar-baiting crowd-pleaser with sparks of unrealized potential.

- bulgar

This is one I probably should give a second viewing. I was indifferent on it the first go around, and I was not a fan of it winning Best Picture.

• Like 1

Spoiler

much-ado2.jpg

78 (tied).  Much Ado About Nothing - 2012 -  Joss Whedon (128 Points, 2 Votes)
High Vote - @Jingus - #1
IMDB

Rotten Tomatoes - 84%
Metacritic - 78

What Critics Said? 

The performances are strong enough ... to almost completely compensate for the tossed-off nature of the movie, which basically amounts to a bunch of close friends getting together to stage a reading. - A.O. Dowd

Contemporary, but timeless. Like the play itself. Black and white was a great choice. Like everything about Whedon's direction, it was about bringing attention to the text. If there were Shakespeare novices in the cast, I couldn't tell. And conversely, I wouldn't even say that any of the performances stood out as exceptional. They spoke the speech well - the lot of them - trippingly on the tongue. If Whedon dropped the ball in any way, it was his handling of the soldiers' return from "war." It was left unclear what if any war - or even if the characters were in any way soldiers. I didn't really care. Better vagueness then some attempt to link the characters to some real world conflict

.- Sam Van Hallgren

• Like 1

96. INHERENT VICE

This is  a strange little flick.  It's almost like taking 'The Big Lebowski' and re-imagining it not as a straight comedy.  I keep meaning to rewatch it.

95. THE OTHER GUYS

I LOVE this film.  Seeing it at the drive-in the first time was such a wonderful experience as we were all basically expecting Will Ferrell Comedy #5A and instead got this insane action comedy/satire hybrid that pokes fun at the genre but doesn't skimp on the stunts or action and has a devilishly weird sense of humor: the police chief who quotes TLC lyrics, the Jeter plot-point, the strange commentary on US economics.

91. NEBRASKA

Terrific little flick about families, relationships, and getting older.

90. THE FIGHTER

Christian Bale's character is SO CLOSE to being quirky enough to be annoying but he walks that tightrope and just as you think he's maybe gone way too over the top, you see the real-life guy and realize that he kind of underplayed him.

89. WE ARE THE BEST

Wonderful coming-of-age film about three girls who form a punk band because they're unpopular.  Their first gig is one of my favourite scenes of anything from this decade.

88. EDGE OF TOMORROW

I like this movie, but I'm probably the only person who preferred Cruise's other sci-fi dystopia film 'Oblivion' to this one.  I just found the relationships more believable, the story more compelling, and the score way better.

81. ENTER THE VOID

I'm not sure if I voted for this one this time around (Might have gotten lost in the shuffle) but I should have because the first, and only, time I saw it was an experience unlike any I've had.  Relentlessly arty and pretentious, but genuinely inspired and...different.  It takes the Tibetan Book of the Dead and seeks to act it out by following a recently-deceased man around as he struggles to make sense of it all.  It's the kind of film where a character takes MDMA and we then sit there and watch him trip through CGI effects for a few minutes.

80. MACGRUBER

The first time I saw 'MacGruber' I was a little baffled by it.  But every time I watch it, it gets funnier and funnier.  Just this past January it was dragged back into the spotlight when W magazine asked the Best Actress nominees what their favourite love scene was and Saoirse Ronan named MacGruber as her favourite.

78. ARGO

I loved this when I saw it in theaters but never liked it as much on 2nd/3rd viewings.  I mean, I still liked it, but watching it in theaters for the first time I found myself on the edge of my seat, my stomach in knots, over the last 20-30 minutes.  It may not have been totally factual, but it was moviemaking tension as an art form but you can never recapture that feeling on rewatches.  Also Alan Arkin was a lot of fun.

• Like 1

Much Ado is one of those films which I think was actively hurt by the behind-the-scenes marketing and gossip.  "Joss shot the entire thing in ten minutes with a bunch of his friends in his living room!" does a vast, vast disservice to the unbelievable amount of care which the images were composed.  Even aside from the entire Shakespearean and Whedonesque aspects, this is a visually gorgeous film, one of those sadly all-too-rare arguments that we should really have a lot more black-and-white movies still being made.  And then the verse itself was handled with a casual competence that you almost never see in American productions of these plays, with even many of the verbal punchlines landing perfectly and everything being completely understandable without needing subtitles or holding a book of the play, as is sadly necessary all too often with this material.  It's not just the best movie Joss has ever made (by a huge margin), it's easily the very best adaptation of Shakespeare into modern-day setting that I've ever seen.  This was an INCREDIBLY well-made movie, from all artistic and technical aspects, and the way everyone just shrugged and went "fuckin' meh" at this dazzling little diamond of a masterpiece is absolutely infuriating to me.  If this has been a Sundance premiere from some random nobody, everyone would be creaming their goddamn drawers about this exciting new talent.   

17 hours ago, Chaos said:
  Reveal hidden contents

argo-trailer-ben-affleck.jpg

78 (tied).  Argo - 2012 -  Ben Affleck (128 Points, 2 Votes)
High Vote - @The Natural - #9
IMDB

Rotten Tomatoes - 96%
Metacritic - 86

What Critics Said? 

Argo is a triumph. It has tension, sincerity, mystery, artistic responsibility, entertainment value, technical expertise, a narrative arc and a thrilling respect for the tradition of how to tell a story with minimum frills and maximum impact. It's a great footnote to history, one of the best films of 2012 and a sure-fire contender on Oscar night. - Rex Reed

Tighter editing and deeper character development would have given this otherwise intelligent-yet-conventional political suspense thriller a more timeless appeal. Ultimately, Argo ends up being a fairly overrated Oscar-baiting crowd-pleaser with sparks of unrealized potential.

- bulgar

This is one I probably should give a second viewing. I was indifferent on it the first go around, and I was not a fan of it winning Best Picture.

I think it was hurt by being compared to Zero Dark Thirty, coming so soon beforehand.  ZDT felt like a properly-sober Best Picture candidate, while Argo was more of a Hollywood-ized lark.  

1 hour ago, S.K.o.S. said:

I've always been too intimidated to watch TTSS.  Should probably force myself to get around to it.  

Ditto.  I'm sure it'd be fine if I actually just paid attention, but "you've got to pay SO MUCH attention to this movie!" is not a marketing tool which sounds terribly enchanting at first glance.  

• Like 1

I watched TTSS for this project and was reasonably underwhelmed.  Just nothing particularly held my attention and aside from a couple entertaining sequences it was just kinda there for me.  But, to be fair, I recently realized how much I dislike most spy movies.  The whole "Who's side is he/she on? Who's playing who?" thing just completely bores me.  Right on down the line from TTSS to James Bond, most LeCarre stuff etc. etc. just bores me.

On 6/19/2016 at 0:05 AM, caley said:

80. MACGRUBER

The first time I saw 'MacGruber' I was a little baffled by it.  But every time I watch it, it gets funnier and funnier.  Just this past January it was dragged back into the spotlight when W magazine asked the Best Actress nominees what their favourite love scene was and Saoirse Ronan named MacGruber as her favourite.

She wins. Great movie! MacGruber sex scenes are legendary.