DVDVR Message Board

[Best Of] Top 110 Movies of 2010 - 2014

Chaos

Listening to the Day of the Dead compilation that just released and beer drinking may be to your benefit tonight.

Spoiler

b139be8a797451181980b387844c66c6.jpg?ito

98. (tie) Star Trek Into Darkness - David Field - 2013 (98 Points, 2 Votes)
High Vote - The Z #13
IMDB

Rotten Tomatoes - 87%
Metacritic - 72

What Critics Said? 
Abrams has a gift for making us feel as if Star Trek Into Darkness vaulted from our own Trek-ish daydreams. - David Edelstein

What Letterboxd Users Said?

Shut up critics, it's great entertainment!

- Rasmus Muller

Spoiler

lINCOLN_2474225b.jpg

98. (tie) Lincoln - Steven Spielberg - 2013 (98 Points, 2 Votes)
High Vote - Eva  #11
IMDB

Rotten Tomatoes - 91%
Metacritic - 86

What Critics Said? 
This is movie magic -- history coming to life, before our eyes.- Moira MacDonald - Seattle Times

Spielberg's most Fordian film writes a history of grand compromise and undercuts simplicity in an essential political moment.

- Peter Labuza

FWIW, I was the other vote on this one. I had low expectations for this film when i watched it, and it really wowed me. Joseph Gordon Levitt really is one of our generation's talented actors.

Spoiler

50-50-movie.jpg

98. (tie) 50/50 - Jonathan Levine - 2011 - (98 Points, 2 Votes)
High Vote - Hobo Joe  #7
IMDB

Rotten Tomatoes - 94%
Metacritic - 72

What Critics Said? 
Too pat and contrived to be the Oscar bell-ringer early reports have claimed, "50/50'' is most affecting when it shows callow young dudes struggling to come to terms with the ultimate party crasher.- Ty Burr - Boston Globe

Joseph Gordon-Levitt's character hit the spot where no other 'cancer' film could seem to hit. The rawness of his thoughts cut through the screen and got me thinking and realizing all whilst empathizing. And laughing (thanks, Seth Rogen).

- Humility Javier

6 minutes ago, EVA said:

Oof.  INTO DARKNESS is what happens when JJ Abrams goes wrong.

He walks a fine line with his shtick, and he mostly pulls it off.  But not in that one.

Finding a non-critic positive review for that one on Letterboxd was a bit of a challenge. I enjoyed it for what it was in theaters, but I have not watched it since seeing it there.

• Like 1

Spoiler

Tyrannosaur-poster-008.jpg

98. (tie) Tyrannosaur - Paddy Considine - 2011 - (98 Points, 2 Votes)
High Vote - ExecProducer #26, New Blood #27 
IMDB

Rotten Tomatoes - 83%
Metacritic - 65

What Critics Said? 
Tyrannosaur sounds like a particularly extreme work of British working-class miserablism, but Considine and his cast have no use for comfortable distance created by cliché..- Keith Phipps - The A.V. Club

Tyrannosaur is not a film you enjoy but a film you endure. It is deeply depressing and perhaps the most unrelentingly grim British film since Tim Roth’s War Zone- Humility Javier

- Adam Cook

7 minutes ago, Chaos said:

FWIW, I was the other vote on this one. I had low expectations for this film when i watched it, and it really wowed me. Joseph Gordon Levitt really is one of our generation's talented actors.

Reveal hidden contents

50-50-movie.jpg

98. (tie) 50/50 - Jonathan Levine - 2011 - (98 Points, 2 Votes)
High Vote - Hobo Joe  #7
IMDB

Rotten Tomatoes - 94%
Metacritic - 72

What Critics Said? 
Too pat and contrived to be the Oscar bell-ringer early reports have claimed, "50/50'' is most affecting when it shows callow young dudes struggling to come to terms with the ultimate party crasher.- Ty Burr - Boston Globe

Joseph Gordon-Levitt's character hit the spot where no other 'cancer' film could seem to hit. The rawness of his thoughts cut through the screen and got me thinking and realizing all whilst empathizing. And laughing (thanks, Seth Rogen).

- Humility Javier

This was very close to making my list.  I Could make a case for it over some of the ones that did.

• Like 1

Next up is our fist 100 point film and our first #1 overall vote of the ballot. We'll stop here for a bit in case that person wants to comment on their vote.

Spoiler

rwb.jpg

97.  Red, White, and Blue - Simon Rumley - 2010 - (100 Points, 1 Vote)
High Vote - @S.K.o.S. #1
IMDB

Rotten Tomatoes - 78%Metacritic - 81

What Critics Said? 
Without giving away too much, I offer two words of advice: Brace yourself.- David Lewis - S.F. Chronicle

Now I know what it feels like to be the victim of a hit and run. This film ran me over and left me to die on my sofa....

- DirkH

I deeply love all of my top 5 (Red White & Blue, Caterpillar, Exploding Girl, Fish Tank, and my #5 hasn't shown up yet) and they could've ended up in just about any order, but this one feels best at #1.

Red White & Blue takes place in a very seedy, grimy part of Texas, and it's about three people, Erica, Franki and Nate.  I'm very limited in what I can say because there's a lot to spoil, but the setup is that Erica sleeps with both Franki and Nate, and things go downhill.  The star here is the writing.  It's a real tightrope walk, but they manage to have all three of these very damaged people come off as sympathetic or at least understandable, and they each have their good and bad sides.  It also has this habit of occasionally skipping plot points or leaving out details to keep you on your toes, forcing you to fill in some blanks on your own.  It probably won't entirely come together until a second watch, as there's a lot of "okay, I think this is what happened..." on the first viewing.  And there are some major, major gut punches.  It's not perfect - I wish the very last shot wasn't there - but I found it completely engrossing and extremely satisfying.

I'm just surprised we got any votes for Into Darkness,let alone two of 'em.  Even among people who liked the dubious-at-best reboot, it seemed pretty much everyone hated the sequel.  We've already had Wrath of Khan, what's the point of having the junior-high cosplay version?  

The most succinct description I can give of Lincoln is that I MIGHT have voted for it... but I honestly don't remember offhand if I did or not.  Like all post-millennium Spielberg, it's pretty damn good, but still not as inspired or unforgettable as much of his earlier work.  

I had no idea Star Trek Into Darkness was this disliked. I loved that movie.

I'm way more surprised that Lincoln got any votes. That ranks amongs the most boring movies I have ever seen. I needed around 12 hours to finish it, because I kept falling asleep and I wasn't tired at all, when I started watching it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, The Z said:

I had no idea Star Trek Into Darkness was this disliked. I loved that movie.

Actually, looking it up, you're shockingly right: it's got a dumbfounding 87% score on RT (higher than Cloverfield, Mission Impossible 3, and even Super 8) and scraped together a not-inspiring-but-still-respectable five hundred grand in worldwide sales, which adjusted for inflation puts it 4th out of 12 in the Trek franchise.  I find that surprising, because of the massively negative response I heard from, well, pretty much everyone I know and the small number of critics I pay attention to.  And I largely agreed with them, aside from a few admittedly badass moments like Khan just straight Hulking Up out of the Vulcan nerve pinch.  

I'm way more surprised that Lincoln got any votes. That ranks amongs the most boring movies I have ever seen. I needed around 12 hours to finish it, because I kept falling asleep and I wasn't tired at all, when I started watching it.

...just a guess, but you've never seen much of the works of Jim Jarmusch, Bela Tarr, Yasujiro Ozu, Wim Wenders, or Andrei Tarkovsky, have you?  

• Like 1

Why? Because you think the movies of those directors are boring or because you peg me as a guy, who only watches Hollywood movies?

I'm gonna assume you meant the former.

I've seen a good chunk of Jim Jarmusch movies and I've liked most of them a lot, didn't think any of them were particulary boring. The only Ozu film I've seen so far is Tokyo Story. That one is a bit long, but still nowhere near as boring as Lincoln. I have yet to dig into the other directors, but many of their movies have been on my watchlist for some time.

By the way, I did check my IMDB and I did still rate Lincoln a 7 out of 10. You can't deny Daniel Day Lewis' performance is great and I assume it's very historically accurate, it's just unbelievably boring.

LINCOLN is dope.  If anything, it's greatness was overshadowed by all they hype on Day Lewis's performance.  But the rest of that cast is basically the Character Actor All-Star Team, and they go hard as fuck, feasting on a fantastic screenplay by Tony Kushner that gave them amazing words to say and fun beats to play.

Also, not picking on Z, but just as an aside since he used the phrase:  I hear people say some variation of "I fell asleep and I wasn't even tired" all the time, and that's one of my pet peeves.  If you feel asleep, you were tired.  You may not have realized it, but you were.  "Falling asleep without being tired" is not something a well human body does.  That would be called narcolepsy, and it's a medical disorder, and no fucking fault of a movie.

1 hour ago, The Z said:

Why? Because you think the movies of those directors are boring or because you peg me as a guy, who only watches Hollywood movies?

I'm gonna assume you meant the former.

Mostly the former, but less "boring" and more "really slow", which I don't think are synonymous.  I just find it kinda weird that anyone would find Spielberg's work to be the most boring ever, especially with Tommy Lee Jones tearing shit up like only he can.  Admittedly the scenes with Lincoln's family were a chore to sit through, I kept wishing they would've cut that shit out and just spent more time on the political gamesmanship, but it sounds like you've actively enjoyed a lot of movies which moved a lot slower and had a lot less happening than Lincoln did.  

I don't usually have this problem with Spielberg movies. I actually was the only person in this poll, who voted for War Horse.

Maybe I'll have to give Lincoln another chance at some point.

• 2 weeks later...

A quick update for everyone. I intend to get as much of this knocked out in the coming days as possible. I leave for Bonnaroo in a week, and my hope would be near the end of this thing before then.

• Like 4

58 minutes ago, SolidGoldBomb said:

Just post the whole list man, no need to drag this out for months

It could get to where I do that. Tonight I am going to try and use the current format to get maybe 20-30 posted hopefully. Even more over the weekend. With traveling next week, I'm staying put outside of going on a supply runt his weekend.

Sadly, stuff just stays crazy busy for me lately

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Chaos said:

It could get to where I do that.

Hopefully it won't come to that as that will clearly kill any discussion of films that make the list. Having said that, the current pace is no friend to conversation either. Still appreciate your efforts.

• Like 2