DVDVR Message Board

MMA Talk.

The Natural

It's the best thing for all parties. Fox had to dump Sonnen, being so closely tied in with the UFC. ESPN's MMA coverage is just about nil, and adding Sonnen helps them, even if it's just a tiny bit. I also think his PED past helps him (oddly) at ESPN, because with their 800 talking head shows, he could get into some interesting discussions without trying to step on the toes of his former employer.

I am not sure what Wanderlei can do for Bellator. People don't watch him for his oratory skills. I just take it as "Hey, Wand's coach has his gym in SoCal so why not capitalize on that and his name." Because there is pretty much nothing they can do with him that would be beneficial for Bellator.

Isn't Bellator the Seniors MMA Division of the UFC?

ESPN has hired Chael Sonnen to be an MMA analyst.  And people wonder why the sport is on the fringe nowadays.

Because nothing says fringe like being hired by the preeminent sports broadcaster in the country.

• Like 1

I am not sure what Wanderlei can do for Bellator. People don't watch him for his oratory skills. I just take it as "Hey, Wand's coach has his gym in SoCal so why not capitalize on that and his name." Because there is pretty much nothing they can do with him that would be beneficial for Bellator.

Isn't Bellator the Seniors MMA Division of the UFC?

Disqualifying a cease-and-desist Bellator most likely received, the whole not being able to fight due to indefinite suspension rules that out. Hence, why I said that.

ESPN has hired Chael Sonnen to be an MMA analyst.  And people wonder why the sport is on the fringe nowadays.

Because nothing says fringe like being hired by the preeminent sports broadcaster in the country.

I doubt they are magically going to start covering the sport any more than they barely do now.  And hiring the modern era's most caught PED abuser pretty much indirectly slams the sport that is barely seen as legitimate among ESPN viewers now.  It is like hiring Pete Rose to cover baseball or Lance Armstrong to cover cycling.  "But he is soooooooooo personable and brings the ratings," cry the Chael fans.  No he's not and no he doesn't.  All he brings are poorly recycled wrestling promos and a huge negative stigma about the sport.  

January 24th in Stockholm, Gustafsson vs Rumble. Love that fight.

The show will take place at Tele2 Arena, which seats between 40-45k (probably configured to about 30k). Also, it will take place during regular US primetime hours.

Cro Cop/Aoki open weight fight and Cro Cop/Fujita III are rumored for INOKI BOM-BA-YE on NYE. A rematch with Ishii was the original rumored fight, but Ishii that has been pulled out all together since Ishii suffered a rib injury.

January 24th in Stockholm, Gustafsson vs Rumble. Love that fight.

The show will take place at Tele2 Arena, which seats between 40-45k (probably configured to about 30k). Also, it will take place during regular US primetime hours.

Does this mean it will be on Fox Sports 1?

Hope Rumble or Gustafsson don't get injured.

I had no idea WSOF signed Kalindra Faria. I thought the UFC would eventually snatch her up when she left 125. She is one of the few female fighters I watch not because I have to. But yeah, the Branch vs. Okami and Aguilar vs. Faria bouts could be brutal to watch from an entertainment standpoint.

Fox. McGregor vs. Siver is the FS1 show for January.

Hope they can sell out that show then.  

I imagine the show being in a stadium in Sweden and on Fox was probably a good way to convince Gustafsson and his manager to take the fight.

Fox. McGregor vs. Siver is the FS1 show for January.

Hope they can sell out that show then.  

I imagine the show being in a stadium and on Fox was probably a good way to convince Gustafsson and his manager to take the fight.

Knowing how things can go, you don't really want to be on the shelf forever. I know how guys might not want to tempt fate, but the Manuwa fight was in March. If Jones vs. Cormier ends up in a controversial decision and public opinion demands a rematch, Gustafsson is fucked six ways from Sunday. He would've been out of a legitimate fight for about a year and half. At least with this, if Jones or Cormier fall out of the fight, he can be on standby for a title shot or interim title shot. Either way, he gets paid if he stays healthy.

• Like 1

Jacare vs. Yoel Romero at UFC 184

Looks like Thatch will fight Wonderboy Thompson instead of Rick Story on the Broomfield card

I was really hoping for Jacare/Rockhold 2 but this should be a much easier path for Jacare to get a title shot.

Rockhold gets the Machida/Dollaway winner?