DVDVR Message Board

MMA Talk.

The Natural

Thought we could use this thread for fight announcements, cancellations, news and opinions.

So UFC 162: Silva vs. Weidman. The show and the main event is something I won't forget. In the latter, Anderson Silva was KTFO by Chris Weidman. This was the first time Silva lost in the UFC having won 16 fights in a row, a reign of 6 years, 8 months and 22 days, most consecutive title defences with 10 and title defences, 10. All those are UFC records. In addition, it’s the first time Silva was ever stopped via strikes and Weidman went 10-0.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Hmmm. Can't edit my original to post to say Brian Stann has retired from MMA and Demian Maia vs. Josh Kocheck at UFC 163: Aldo vs. Korean Zombie is off. Koscheck is injured and Maia's been removed from the card

How can anyone say Silva won that round? All he did was clown him and make his way up from being on his back for a couple of minutes. The escape from the takedown was thrilling, but the takedown should trump the escape. It was an easy 10-9 round for Weidman.

Ok.  I had Weidman winning it too.  I just don't feel he's getting enough credit.  Silva goes in and fights the same way he's been fighting, and Weidman wins the first round and KOs him in the second.  But nope, it was a lucky punch, Silva gave the fight away, etc.  Like what else was Weidman supposed to do to impress people?

I'm mostly upset at that ridiculous Deadspin piece.  "Weidman waved his arms around and threw a shitty lunging left hook."  A punch that was so shitty it knocked out one of the greatest MMA fighters of all time.

10-9 for Weidman but I didn't feel strongly about it. I didn't think the first round went a long way in showing how the rest of the fight would play out. I was entertained by Silva clowning to end the first but when the second round started and he was still doing it..  I said it was a mistake. I didn't think THAT would happen but I did think Weidman would take him down and go up 2-0. It would have been very difficult for Silva to come back after being down 2-0.

Ok.  I had Weidman winning it too.  I just don't feel he's getting enough credit.  Silva goes in and fights the same way he's been fighting, and Weidman wins the first round and KOs him in the second.  But nope, it was a lucky punch, Silva gave the fight away, etc.

Silva gave the fight away, he was fucking about on a whole new level, way more than vs Bonnar.

I'm giving Weidman more credit for winning than Silva for giving it away.  Silva did not fight smart that is for sure and I don't think anyone with two eyes would debate that.  That bein said, Weidman did fight extremely well and had no problem with anything Silva was doing other than eating some leg kicks and taking a shot from halfway across the cage and getting stuffed.  Other than those two things it was all Weidman.  He fought like a man who wasn't scared or intimidated and stayed the course. 

Silva fought the way he did to that degree because he was frustrated in my opinion.  Weidman was landing punches on the feet pretty consistently well before the KO and that seemed to bother Silva and it's what I think caused his extreme level of mockery. 

There's two sides to that though because Weidman and Belfort fought Silva two completely different ways. The beginning of the Belfort fight was really slow and tentative and Silva was able to capitalize. Weidman went right at Silva and kept pressure on him the whole time whether it was with a takedown, attempting a takedown, clinches, or strikes. He kept coming forward and having success. He punched Silva in the face a ton of times in that fight and that's not something he's used to.

I really don't see Weidman tired in that fight.  He was fighting at a methodical pace and just pressing forward and fighting patient.  You look at it as him plodding around all tired when that wasn't the case at all which is why he was able to consistently land strikes at the end of the first and in the second round and able to dodge Anderson's strikes.  

I sat there in BW3 in dead silence while the whole restaurant around me lost the fucking minds. It was unreal. I was legit stunned at what happened and it occurred right after a friend of mine said that someday someone wouldn't fall for Silva's bullshit. God dammit Anderson...

I think he wins the rematch, but who knows. BTW, if you guys haven't watched it yet, watch the Anderson Silva video blog. Very interesting stuff. A good 6 or 7 minutes of seeing the gravity of Silva's fuck up weigh on him more and more.

As far as Jones vs. Gustafsson goes, is anyone interested in this fight? The more Gustafsson has fought the less I'm impressed by him.  I don't think he has anything at all for Jones.  I don't see Jones in danger at any point and by any means whatsoever in that fight.  

I think the LHW division as a whole is much weaker now than it's been in a while.  Outside of Glover and Lyoto, there aren't really any other guys I'd consider to be elite top level guys who could offer Jones any sort of trouble.  I think the division really needs Daniel Cormier. 

What a week for the board to die!  I won't even comment on Silva vs. Weidman for fear of "Are you f'n crazy" replies.

I hope Grant was paid well to be injured.  UFC is just getting blatant about this stuff.