DVDVR Message Board

MMA Talk.

The Natural

Love the Lawler/Hendricks fight, so I hope it sticks and no one gets hurt.

Honestly, all this hullabaloo and drama and this is just what they should've just done like a month ago after UFC 167.  We didn't really learn anything other than something is driving GSP crazy he won't tell us about.  Or he can't take the pressure of being champion anymore.  OK whatever.  I'm still suspicious that it has nothing to do with his health.  I'm not saying he is terminally ill, but maybe wear and tear has set in and he has something that maybe could lead to CTE.  Think about all the injuries and knockouts fighters get not just from fighting but training as well that we don't see or hear about ever. 

At the start of this, White really should've just said, "It sucks but I will talk to GSP.  If he is leaving for a while indefinitely, he will relinquish the title and Hendrix will fight someone else for the vacant title."  He made it sound like it was GSP's choice to relinquish the title or not when that's all on the UFC.

Oh well. I'm just glad we have a title fight, and don't have to wait any longer. Sucks GSP will never be able to beat Silva's title records now, or try too. 

I was thinking about that last night and today, would GSP have equaled or beat Silva's record for title defenses. Real shame we won't know.

Nevertheless, if GSP got the W or Johny did you can easily argue that either of them won the fight.  So Johny is viewed as being a guy who possibly could beat GSP so if he becomes the new champ he won't be necessarily viewed as a paper champion having never fought GSP and only getting the belt because of his absence.

• Like 1

Yeah, I don't think he would've either. I used to think Jones would for sure, but now it looks like he could lose (Gus) or will be gone from the division. 

Agreed. Jones vs. Gus 2 is a fight I'm looking forward to. Gonna be tough to top their terrific first fight.

It sounds like that the UFC is getting rid of the Primetime shows because of low ratings. This would have been the best time to sneak two seperate shows in on Fox for both of the top fights for UFC 168.

Ratings are down over 60% on The Ultimate Fighter.  The Fight Nights debuted at 1.7 million and have plunged as low as 539,000. Dana will keep parroting the "it takes time" line, but by the time the 7 year contract with Fox is up, they will be back to the levels they left Spike on.  EDIT: And their biggest draw just left them high and dry.

GSP probably is their biggest draw, but it's not as if he was ever going to fight on free TV. Are TUF ratings down since the move to FS1, or since they left Spike? And what would be the plan if they got rid of the Fight Night cards? Just TUF, UFC on FOX, and PPVs?

• Like 1

Prime-time numbers, FS1 was averaged 457,000 in November, 215,000 in October, and 246,000 in September, and it's highest ever viewership was 2.18M. So even if Fight Nights draw as low as mid-500,000 that's still a significant amount above their average viewership. And apparently TUF and its prelims and drew 1.13 million and 938,000 viewers, respectively. That's more than twice the FS1 monthly average. Ratings for the entire FS1 network aren't great, but it seems that UFC broadcasts are pulling their weight.

Prime-time numbers, FS1 was averaged 457,000 in November, 215,000 in October, and 246,000 in September, and it's highest ever viewership was 2.18M. So even if Fight Nights draw as low as mid-500,000 that's still a significant amount above their average viewership. And apparently TUF and its prelims and drew 1.13 million and 938,000 viewers, respectively. That's more than twice the FS1 monthly average. Ratings for the entire FS1 network aren't great, but it seems that UFC broadcasts are pulling their weight.

Not when you compare them to what they did on FX just 6 months ago.  Hell, the next fight night with Bigfoot vs. Hunt did just over 700,000.  It is a sad world when more people saw Pena vs. Rakoczy than the HW FOTY.  Their incessant "start and rebuild" over the 18 month period has just confused viewers.  

GSP probably is their biggest draw, but it's not as if he was ever going to fight on free TV. Are TUF ratings down since the move to FS1, or since they left Spike? And what would be the plan if they got rid of the Fight Night cards? Just TUF, UFC on FOX, and PPVs?

TUF on FX was down from Spike except for the Chael/Jones season.  The huge drop occurred with the move to FS1.