DVDVR Message Board

MMA Talk.

The Natural

Meltzer reports that UFC 161: Evans vs. Henderson did 150,000 buys, setting the all-time low for PPVs since 2005.  Also, he pulled one of his classic Meltzer moves by readjusting UFC 162 from 800,000 buys to 550,000 buys.  Eh, what's 250,000 here or there?

Wowsers at the Evans vs. Hendo buyrate. First card in Manitoba, hit by injuries and sucks. Calgary revisited.

Personally I think they need to quit doing so many title fights on FOX and have them on PPV cards solely.  Should probably continue the smaller guys title fights on FOX but other than that they should be co-headlining on PPV in an attempt to bolster the PPV cards.  At the current PPV price I feel like the cards need to be pretty strong to justify paying for it and a lot of times they're not much better than the ones on regular TV. 

Bolster may be a bit of a strong word for a bunch of dudes that can't draw. How many buys is Demetrious Johnson vs. John Lineker really adding to a show despite the potential to be fight of the night? I think they made a commitment to Fox to have title fights if they could and found a loophole by giving them Ben Henderson and Demetrious Johnson. The problem with taking those fights away is it will be hard to differentiate main Fox programming from the shows on Fox Sports 1 and not in a good way. You can't go from Velasquez-Dos Santos I to random superfight that may or may not do barely acceptable numbers on Fox. I don't it's a wakeup call because you had many instances since they moved from Spike where people just decide to skip the paid shows. They're backed into a corner one way or another.

It also doesn't help when no one knows who the hell the challenger is.  John Moraga's two previous fights on the UFC were literally the opening bouts on the each show.  He went from curtain jerker to main event.

Bolster may be a bit of a strong word for a bunch of dudes that can't draw. How many buys is Demetrious Johnson vs. John Lineker really adding to a show despite the potential to be fight of the night? I think they made a commitment to Fox to have title fights if they could and found a loophole by giving them Ben Henderson and Demetrious Johnson. The problem with taking those fights away is it will be hard to differentiate main Fox programming from the shows on Fox Sports 1 and not in a good way. You can't go from Velasquez-Dos Santos I to random superfight that may or may not do barely acceptable numbers on Fox. I don't it's a wakeup call because you had many instances since they moved from Spike where people just decide to skip the paid shows. They're backed into a corner one way or another.

That's why I said they should probably keep the smaller guys on FOX.  I think title fights at 155 would be fine as a PPV co-main though.  I think a PPV card with a LW title fight and Evans/Hendo is a lot more appealing than Evans/Hendo as the main and a fight like Stipe Miocic vs Roy Nelson as the next fight down. 

Why won't/can't Dana make all PPV main event 5 rounds, title or not? Henderson v Evans was just getting good when it ended. . just make it well publicized that exception for PPV and BOOM! more excitement. . .

Why won't/can't Dana make all PPV main event 5 rounds, title or not? Henderson v Evans was just getting good when it ended. . just make it well publicized that exception for PPV and BOOM! more excitement. . .

Evans vs. Hendo wasn't the planned main event. It was only moved to the main after another fight (can't think of it now) was canceled due to injury. But as the bout agreements to Evans vs. Hendo had already been signed and they had only been training for a 3 round fight, it stayed that way. If it had been the planned main event from the get go, it would have been 5 rounds as all non-title main events have been since UFC 138.

Man, I don't think Anderson is infinitely better than Vitor.  I think Vitor was too patient in the first fight and got caught.  I'd love to see a rematch.  And if Weidman wins, that's a no-brainer.  Vitor is clearly the second best MW and has been for years.  He's only lost to Anderson at 185 and all his wins are basically highlight reels.

Silva's fighting Weidman in December.  Vitor wouldn't get his shot until a year from now so Dana gave him someone he can beat.

He could have given him anyone.  He beats everyone else at MW.  

He's been spoon fed guys he can beat in his own country.

You're crazy dude.  Who do you put ahead of him?

Since losing to Anderson he's fought:

Sexyama, who was shit.

Rumble, who was well on his way to being the joke he is now.

Bisping, who might as well have been created solely for Vitor to fight and look good doing so.

Rockhold, who even if he does turn into something was at a huge disadvantage coming in to the UFC after a year off and weaker competition.

He hasn't fought Weidman, he hasn't fought Sonnen, he hasn't fought Okami. In the past there were higher seeded guys he could have fought that have since lost, such as Munoz and Boetsch. He's been fed guys that would cater to his style, and he's fighting them jacked up to the gills in the only place he's allowed to fight. It's ridiculous.

Shitting on Bisping and Rockhold and then you bring up Munoz and Boetsch.  Come on.  The reason he hasn't fought the other guys you listed is because they weren't trying to have him fuck up other potential title fights for Silva.  Those guys don't beat Vitor.  

Shitting on Bisping and Rockhold and then you bring up Munoz and Boetsch.  Come on.  The reason he hasn't fought the other guys you listed is because they weren't trying to have him fuck up other potential title fights for Silva.  Those guys don't beat Vitor.  

I'm saying he's always fought guys below the top contender level, and he's never fought a guy like Chael or Weidman or Okami who would probably smother him. And pre-Weidman Munoz could have smothered him too.

And pre-Weidman Munoz could have smothered him too.

Not with that porous defense and wet papery chin.

And pre-Weidman Munoz could have smothered him too.

Not with that porous defense and wet papery chin.

It would be the battle of the biggest quitters. WHO WILL MANAGE TO REPEL THEIR NATURAL INSTINCT TO GIVE UP FIRST? FIND OUT ON PAY PER VIEW

What are you basing this on though? This idea that he's easily smothered. You've got to go back a lot of years before you get to a fight where he was controlled to a decision and these middleweights aren't going to do it.