DVDVR Message Board

MMA Talk.

The Natural

If that Bellator PPV was like $10-$20 I'd buy it for sure. Anyone know what they will be charging? They cannot possibly be trying to get the standard $50 that the UFC does... maybe like $30?

And with Bellator settling on a price point of $35-45—depending on the distributor—for an event that, to be blunt, simply isn’t worth that kind of money, it’s hard to imagine the casual fan being intrigued enough to shell out.

• Like 1

If that Bellator PPV was like $10-$20 I'd buy it for sure. Anyone know what they will be charging? They cannot possibly be trying to get the standard $50 that the UFC does... maybe like $30?

And with Bellator settling on a price point of $35-45—depending on the distributor—for an event that, to be blunt, simply isn’t worth that kind of money, it’s hard to imagine the casual fan being intrigued enough to shell out.

Thanks. Missed that. Ugh... I dunno about $45. Guess it depends on how bored/drunk I am that night.

Woah. They're charging that much?

Jesus. Won't anyone ever learn from 2K Sports?

From MMA Payout:

MMA Junkie’s John Morgan tweeted the news of the poor ticket sales.  Bloody Elbow reported that the price point may be one of the reasons for the poor ticket sales.  Notably, a look at the tickets for the Bellator event has floor seats at $265 per seat.  In comparison, UFC on Fox 9 in Sacramento in December has floor seats for less, $260

I think that + the PPV price suggests that Bellator has the WWE's mentality of why they won't lower their PPVs to the price from 15 years ago. In order to be viewed as a top shelf product, they feel that they have to charge top shelf prices.

• Like 1

found out i have to work 11/2, so i guess i'll just be torrenting it the next day.  i think $30 would be the most your average person would pay.i know BWWs here played both of the Affliction events, so i'd guess they'll be showing this too.

found out i have to work 11/2, so i guess i'll just be torrenting it the next day.  i think $30 would be the most your average person would pay.i know BWWs here played both of the Affliction events, so i'd guess they'll be showing this too.

I would still call up to your local BWW and make sure that they are before you leave for the bar.  You don't want to show up at the bar and when you get there find out that some college football or hockey game is on all of the screens instead of the PPV you came to see.

so i guess that just leaves Aldo/challenger to headline the SB card?

pretty much makes Mir/Overeem the co-main by default.

Ding, ding, ding...we have a winner!  Totally strange how the SB card has gone from their huge show to nothing in the last few years.

Via MMAJunkie:

It's far from a lock, but Ricardo Lamas could finally get his shot at the UFC featherweight title in February.

UFC President Dana White today said the organization is "talking about" booking championJose Aldo (23-1 MMA, 5-0 UFC) vs. Lamas (13-2 MMA, 4-0 UFC) for its Super Bowl weekend card on Feb. 1.

"It's not done, but we're talking about it," he said. "But we talk about a lot of things."

Unlike past years, the UFC's annual Super Bowl card won't take place in Las Vegas. Instead, the pay-per-view event is slated for Prudential Center in Newark, N.J.

I'd buy it for $20.  Possibly $30 and that would be mainly to see Alvarez/Chandler go down live.  But any more than that is kind of ridiculous.  

$20 is a good deal. $30 sounds realistic.

I guess they are targeting the casual fans who don't follow MMA closely and are banking on them to be drawn in by the personalities of Ortiz and Rampage. It could work. But with so much free MMA available, I don't think the PPV is gonna do well.

UFC 164 did 270k buys with a lw title fight and Mir/Barnett underneath it.

Take the UFC name away and replace it with Bellator and no advertising and take away the two best lightweights in the world and replace them with two way past their prime LHWs and fill the rest of the card with names that casual fans don't know. You get a show that will only be bought by the hardest of the hardcore fans and you then lose a lot of them because you overpriced the show.

It's a show I'd like to see because of Alvarez/Chandler and slightly because of the spectacle of Ortiz/Rampage. But I'm not paying over a certain amount to see it.

I think given those circumstances they should be happy with 80k-90k buys, but Rebney wouldn't be happy with that from I've heard from Greg Savage. Apparently, they legimitately think they can achieve UFC basement numbers. It would be really interesting to know what the break even number is. If it is higher than 100k buys, then they have a real problem with their pay scale.

I don't think they'll get close to that. The Affliction shows did just under 100k and 150k and that was with a lot of advertising and at a time where ppvs were doing strong. Those cards had plenty of names on them as well. I don't see this show coming close to 100k.

They should have just planned on losing money on this show in the name of increasing their audience. Spend a shit ton on advertising, like plaster this thing everywhere and charge less than $20 for it and hope the fights are exciting. People that don't follow MMA closely but recognize Tito and Rampage can probably justify spending $20 on this. Certainly more than $44.95 or whatever. And when they tune in they get to be pleasantly surprised by Alvarez/Chandler before the freak show fight they spent the money on.

Affliction didn't have a TV deal though outside HDNet prelims. Also, they had those free posters and gajillion cards they gave away. I can't imagine how much money they lost on that. Anyway, at least Bellator can get 350k+ people to watch their product week in and week out. I don't know why with the card quality lately, but they can.

There was still a strong contingent of the PRIDE hardcore fanbase who bought the Affliction card because they viewed it basically as the next best thing to getting a PRIDE card after that promotion ended.  You don't have any fighters on this card that have the aura around them that Fedor had back then.