DVDVR Message Board

MMA Talk.

The Natural

I honestly had no idea UFC over here cost that much. Not that I was desperate to go, but I'd have given it some thought next time they were at Wembley Arena for say, £40 or so. £97?! I'm amazed they sell any tickets! Some of the major US PPVs would at least go some way to justifying it, but paying that kind of money to see a one match card where the one match is Michael Bisping continuing to float around the lower reaches of the top ten seems like the mark of a lunatic with money to burn.

There is something truly bizarre in Meltzer saying Jones vs. Gustafsson was great, but not an all-time great like Frye vs. Takayama or Guida vs. Diego.

Yeah, particularly the latter fight. Here's my attempt (with little sleep) at the ten best fights in UFC history listed in the order they happened.

1. Randy Couture vs. Pedro Rizzo, UFC 33

2. Forrest Griffin vs. Stephan Bonnar, The Ultimate Fighter I Finale

3. Matt Hughes vs. Frank Trigg, UFC 52

4. Randy Couture vs. Tim Sylvia, UFC 68

5. Anderson Silva vs. Chael Sonnen, UFC 117

6. Frankie Edgar vs. Gray Maynard, UFC 125

7. Dan Henderson vs. Mauricio Rua, UFC 139

8. Chan Sung-Jung vs. Dustin Poirier, UFC on Fuel 3

9. Wanderlei Silva vs. Brian Stann, UFC on Fuel TV 8: Silva vs. Stann

10. Jon Jones vs. Alexander Gustafsson, UFC 165

• Like 2

Man, I remember when I got back into watching MMA seven or so years ago it was so easy to get caught up in everything that had taken place in the MMA world in the years that I'd missed and so easy to catch up on watching all the great fights that had taken place up to that point in time.  It would almost be overwhelming but would be so awesome to be at a point where I was just now starting to watch MMA because you could get caught up by watching an almost endless loop of all-time great fights because there's been so many of them now. 

pettis/henderson 1 remains the best 5 round fight i've ever seen. it's a damn shame the Meltz didn't mention it.

and while i may not personally agree, but rampage/hendo was considered one of the absolute best LHW title fights ever back when it happened. kinda weird to never see it mentioned anymore.

It's a card for the military so they can still hype up a Kennedy fight as the main event of a card like that.  Say whatever you want about Kennedy but he's an Army Ranger who was a member of the special forces, that's definitely a much better back story as a main event of a military card the some random chick fight.

It's a card for the military so they can still hype up a Kennedy fight as the main event of a card like that.  Say whatever you want about Kennedy but he's an Army Ranger who was a member of the special forces, that's definitely a much better back story as a main event of a military card the some random chick fight.

Well there was this thing called Don't Ask, Don't Tell......

Liz Carmouche is a marine and also main evented a UFC PPV in a title fight.  I just see her fight with Davis as more relevant in terms of rankings now than Kennedy vs. Natal.

I mean I'm not a big women's MMA fan, but it makes way more sense than "Hey...it's Tim Kennedy." If you want to get any major gay and lesbian interest group to cover another UFC show outside of UFC 157, this would be it. And the UFC has already covered it twice with her. Shit, the UFC could even run video packages of how "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" was a shitty piece of legislation and getting overturned was the best thing for the armed forces. Hell, the WNBA, the LPGA, and women's tennis don't even fucking do that type of stuff, have the courage to do it, or get the opportunity to do it. Plus, it would be a big FU to all those terrible coalitions or whatever stupid groups they are fighting.

• Like 1