DVDVR Message Board

MMA Talk.

The Natural

Yes, because Grant is just willingly stepping aside from 2 straight potential title fights...

It's a bit too early to do a super fight for Pettis, he just won his title he should have to defend his title a few times first.  It's one thing when he wasn't the champ going down in weight to challenge Aldo.

• Like 1

The tricky thing about booking FW title shots right now is that Mendes is the #2 ranked FW but Lamas and Swanson deserve the title shots more.  You'd figure that Aldo/Lamas would be going down early next year.  But with Mendes, Lentz and Edgar all booked up I don't know who that leaves for Swanson to fight in the mean time.

there was a local MMA show here this weekend. i got there in time to see the 2 main events (was actually going for the after-show concert, but was glad i got to see as much as i did). first went to a 5-round decision and was fairly uneventful. the 2nd ended in the first after an armbar from the guard.

after the main event, i heard numerous people complaining that they only threw a couple punches and then "started hugging on the ground". one person actually was arguing that the person on top won, because the other guy was "just laying on the ground". this was someone that PAID to go to the show. made me shake my head, so i had to share.

there was a local MMA show here this weekend. i got there in time to see the 2 main events (was actually going for the after-show concert, but was glad i got to see as much as i did). first went to a 5-round decision and was fairly uneventful. the 2nd ended in the first after an armbar from the guard.

after the main event, i heard numerous people complaining that they only threw a couple punches and then "started hugging on the ground". one person actually was arguing that the person on top won, because the other guy was "just laying on the ground". this was someone that PAID to go to the show. made me shake my head, so i had to share.

You might hear that at a UFC event as well.

Yeah, I'm always surprised at how some enthusiastic fans are so disconnected with the sport.

I can't remember if I told this story or not, but last year during the Cain/JDS rematch I was at a BWW with a friend to watch the PPV.  He ran into some of his friends there and we sat with them.  There was one guy who was seemingly holding court as the resident MMA expert.  My ears pricked up when Joe Lauzon came out and I heard him say, "This guy is mostly known for being a brawler."  Ohhhhhhhh-kay.  I just ignored the stuff he was saying until I heard, "Honestly, none of these guys impress me when you compare their records to Frank Dux."  I'm like, "WHAT!?!" and he says, "You know who Frank Dux is, right?"  I go, "Yeah, the inspiration for BLOODSPORT but it has been proven most of his stories were fake and embellished."  He wouldn't believe me and kept saying I didn't know what I was talking about.  LOL.

Yeah, I'm always surprised at how some enthusiastic fans are so disconnected with the sport.

I can't remember if I told this story or not, but last year during the Cain/JDS rematch I was at a BWW with a friend to watch the PPV.  He ran into some of his friends there and we sat with them.  There was one guy who was seemingly holding court as the resident MMA expert.  My ears pricked up when Joe Lauzon came out and I heard him say, "This guy is mostly known for being a brawler."  Ohhhhhhhh-kay.  I just ignored the stuff he was saying until I heard, "Honestly, none of these guys impress me when you compare their records to Frank Dux."  I'm like, "WHAT!?!" and he says, "You know who Frank Dux is, right?"  I go, "Yeah, the inspiration for BLOODSPORT but it has been proven most of his stories were fake and embellished."  He wouldn't believe me and kept saying I didn't know what I was talking about.  LOL.

If ever there was a post to for Rimz to give his standard "watching MMA with other people is the worst" reply, this is it. People like that almost make me ashamed, or at the very least, they make me uncomfortable. I've been around people like that who think they're smart on wrestling, but it's also like they don't realize it's a work...Then there's all the different kinds of MMA fans who have the dumbest reasons for saying, well, anything. I have a friend who has the dumbest reasons for hating Brock Lesnar. It's usually "he's such a dick and is so disrespectful," or "he's just an unprofessional jerk who wants to hunt and doesn't want to ever stick with any one thing." And anytime a fighter I'm a fan of gets brought up, duder falls back on, "Yeah, but you're a Brock Lesnar fan." I don't even know what the fuck that means.

Maybe Rimz was right.

The sport is basically a dickhead fighting a dickhead on command of their dickhead boss, for the entertainment of thousands of dickheads.

It's funny because I find that most MMA fans in Calgary are the same assholes who like successful NFL teams. Congrats bud, when you decided you wanted to be an NFL fan you chose the Steelers because of your strong family ties to the area, and not at all because they won a lot.

That is literally the oddest fight I can think of them giving Condit or Brown.  I'm glad to see Matt Brown get a higher up fight, but he's been subbed a whole bunch.  And Condit gains absolutely nothing by beating a guy not in the top 10.  

• Like 1