DVDVR Message Board

MMA Talk.

The Natural

UFC 144 did 375k buys

UFC 135 did 520k buys

UFC 130 did 300k buys

He is not a draw anymore. Further he finished his run in the UFC with 3 straight losses and hasn't had a significant win in over 4 years. It's over for that dude in terms of being competitive and being a draw.

You're crazy if you think 520k buy rate is a bad number. 

He will do a better than average number on TV and would probably add decent numbers if he was in the co main event as well. 

UFC 144 did 375k buys

UFC 135 did 520k buys

UFC 130 did 300k buys

He is not a draw anymore. Further he finished his run in the UFC with 3 straight losses and hasn't had a significant win in over 4 years. It's over for that dude in terms of being competitive and being a draw.

He will do a better than average number on TV and would probably add decent numbers if he was in the co main event as well. 

Dude, that was back when he fought Jon Jones for the title.  And that was outdrawn by five other events that year.  And it was over 3yrs ago.  He's not a draw anymore man.  And based on his current physical abilities that's not going to change. 

UFC 144 did 375k buys

UFC 135 did 520k buys

UFC 130 did 300k buys

Dude, that was back when he fought Jon Jones for the title.  And that was outdrawn by five other events that year.  And it was over 3yrs ago.  He's not a draw anymore man.  And based on his current physical abilities that's not going to change. 

If current physical abilities matter , explain to me why Jones and Rampage did much better than Glover  - Jones and Gus - Jones by a considerable difference .

Both had much better recent records than Rampage where he came off a decision against Hamil and Machida (where he was lucky to win).  

UFC 144 did 375k buys

UFC 135 did 520k buys

UFC 130 did 300k buys

If current physical abilities matter , explain to me why Jones and Rampage did much better than Glover  - Jones and Gus - Jones by a considerable difference .

Both had much better recent records than Rampage where he came off a decision against Hamil and Machida (where he was lucky to win).  

I would say a lot of that has to do with timing and the fact that there were 27 events in 2011 when Jones fought Rampage and 36 and 47 events in 2013 and 2014 when Jones fought the other two.  The market is saturated dude, events just don't draw what they used to.  520k ppv buys today would be a fucking monster number.  Back in 2011 when Jones fought Rampage it was slightly above average compared to the entire years worth of ppvs. 

Rampage was not a draw at the end of his first run in the UFC

Rampage lost his last three fights in the UFC before he hit the bricks

They show events every week now, sometimes two on the same damn day

So, short of a title fight in which the prospect of a title fight and the current champion would be the draw, Rampage isn't going to be a big deal.  Even less so after he gets into the cage and is in a snoozefest or gets dominated. 

They run so many events that having a guy whose name people recognize on a PPV card is worth the headache. He isn't going to be fighting for titles but third from the top on a PPV will help bolster the card

Thats exactly what I was talking about.

No one should expect him to draw outrageous numbers , with a good opponent , he can defiently add to a event.

Damn, it's almost like Sophocles is writing the professional career of Dominick Cruz.  

So...Raphael Assuncao.

According to Jeremy Botter, Assuncao is dealing with a broken ankle.

Shit, they may as well have TJ go to Colorado to train with Bang and have Faber stay in Sacramento to train with Kampmann. I don't know if Buchholz or Fabio Prado want to pick sides on who to corner, but it makes sense to go ahead and do that bout. When stuff like this happens, it becomes the elephant in the room.

Would Faber and Dillashaw really go along with that right now?  

Honestly, I don't want Barao to get another shot right now anyway.  But I worry that's what the UFC will do next.

As Epwar has pointed out before, got to give Urijah his annual title shot :) .

Now would be the time (Sorry for the Time is Now cliche/pun) to do so. From a personal friendship standpoint, it's not going to do them any favors. However, from a UFC business standpoint, they have to play them against each other somehow.

While I don't think Barao is some beaten/shell of himself like some people think, I still think he should get another win to solidify another shot at the belt. If Dillashaw vs. Barao I was some PPV blockbuster, you would immediately run it back. However, the UFC has a better option (the one that doesn't include DJ leaving Flyweight) in Dillashaw/Faber. Probably not as feasible as the Barao rematch, but it should be at least put on the table.

Plus, the UFC probably (dare I say definitely) wants to find a way out of having Faber just be the prelim headliner. I know he doesn't have a problem with it, but I know the UFC wants to find a better use for him. Faber-Rivera II is not exactly hot shit that needs to happen now either. Not that they need one, but this is their "Get out of Jail Free/Give Urijah Another Title Shot" card. If Urijah suddenly loses a fight, all this goes out of the window. I  know they don't want that.

It doesn't look like UFC will get the BW title back to being the linear champion any time soon, it's the only division other then WW where that exists anymore.

Aldo is obviously the linear Featherweight champ.

Cain is the linear Heavyweight champ.