DVDVR Message Board

MMA Talk.

The Natural

Plus, we can't act like Rampage left the UFC four or five years ago. This dude was a UFC fighter a little over a year and a half ago.

Yeah but it was after a steep decline where he was constantly complaining and going out of his way to try and get fired.  

I can venture to guess that going to Bellator was probably a reality check for Rampage and they did not fulfill the promises that were made to him.  All the pro wrestling co-promotional BS went south.  PPV plans went south outside of the one event.  Viacom probably didn't get him all the movie and TV opportunities he wanted.  

Toward the end of his UFC run he was constantly complaining about getting less money, when most of fault can be squarely put on his own shoulders. 

I could see him getting matched up with the Igor Pokrajac's of the world or a rematch with Shogun instead of more relevant fighters.  

As a fighter, I think he is still in steep decline. The first part of the Beltran fight and the entire fight with Mo is my proof.

If I was him, I would've stayed with Bellator just because the matchmaking will keep him in the game for awhile. If Coker and Rich Chou were dirty, Tito and Quinton would be fighting Mo and Newton respectively. However, that's not Coker's direction at the moment.

I guess it all boils down to if Joe Silva wants to play the "Shot MMA fighter/nostalgia division" game. Shogun-Hendo II wasn't really a bad fight all things considered (especially when you look at Tito-Bonnar). The outcome was always going to be depressing though.

• Like 1

Ariel Helwani @arielhelwani 56s56 seconds ago

I'm told the main issue here is Rampage is claiming Bellator refused to provide the PPV #s for the Lawal fight …

Ariel Helwani @arielhelwani 36s36 seconds ago

… which they were contracted to do. So when that became clear, he terminated the contract. More in here: http://www.mmafighting.com/2014/12/20/7429221/rampage

Is the UFC doing this on purpose so that they look like less of a monopoly when Bellator win back Rampage? Will this somehow help their case?

Maybe. Who knows? However, I think the monopoly issue is just part of the whole case.

That wouldn't be a bad idea.  It's better than putting these older guys in with fighters at the top of the division.  Of course, getting any of these fighters to admit they don't have what it takes to compete at the top of their division anymore is a whole different story.  

But Henderson has proven not to be a draw so  I highly doubt Henderson being separate will do anything. I think UFC should cut its losses with guys like Rampage, Shogun, and Henderson. As UFC is keeping them around, I prefer if those 3 fighters (and the Noguerias) are relegated to fighting only guys in ranked 11-20 ( I know UFC has a public ranking of  15). I think that will be a more interesting use then pretending these guys are draws. Nogs and Shogun in Brazil perhaps and Rampage on a smaller stage, but Henderson has proven not to be a draw and its getting pretty sad to watch him fight.

Rampage is a draw. That's why the UFC want him. It's like saying why would they sign Punk. If you don't get either of the signings your silly. People are far more likely to watch a Fox card headlined by Rampage compared to one headlined by Benson Henderson etc.

UFC 144 did 375k buys

UFC 135 did 520k buys

UFC 130 did 300k buys

He is not a draw anymore. Further he finished his run in the UFC with 3 straight losses and hasn't had a significant win in over 4 years. It's over for that dude in terms of being competitive and being a draw.

UFC 144 did 375k buys

UFC 135 did 520k buys

UFC 130 did 300k buys

He is not a draw anymore. Further he finished his run in the UFC with 3 straight losses and hasn't had a significant win in over 4 years. It's over for that dude in terms of being competitive and being a draw.

I could see a Rampage drawing intrigue from casual viewers (is that even a thing in MMA anymore?) on a FOX main event. I'm assuming he want all his fights on PPV though, so he can get points.