DVDVR Message Board

MMA Talk.

The Natural

Having watched TUF, that was anything but a Champion's performance by Carla. She's very lucky that she fought Tecia in a 2-round TUF bout, and not a five-round title fight. And comparing Tecia vs Randa to Tecia vs Carla, either Torres improved her counter wrestling an awful lot in a little over a month, or Randa is much better than everyone thought she was.

Rose... if her response to being nervous and short of confidence is to throw lots of high kicks, throw power punches while leg-grabbed and go for flying armbars in the clinch, what's she going to do when she's confident of an easy win?

I know no one gives a shit about it anymore, but there haven't been any details released about the next season of TUF, have there? I know they usually start it up in Aprilish, but I can't even remember hearing rumblings for the next coaches/weight classes.

I know no one gives a shit about it anymore, but there haven't been any details released about the next season of TUF, have there? I know they usually start it up in Aprilish, but I can't even remember hearing rumblings for the next coaches/weight classes.

They may be doing Blackzilians vs. American Top Team next. Maybe it's a Fight Pass only thing. I dunno.

They may be doing Blackzilians vs. American Top Team next. Maybe it's a Fight Pass only thing. I dunno.

TUF Florida?

You mean Viacom?

If Viacom was still interested in TNA, they would've scrapped it for parts.

Coker is making these moves because he couldn't get Kimbo or Gina Carano. UFC most likely isn't releasing Cung Le from his contact. So the only way to make it like Strikeforce (and PRIDE) is to sign wrestlers because the actual MMA free agency market stinks. They aren't going to be able to compete with the UFC on a top fighter-for-top fighter level.

At the 30 minute mark now. It started getting brutal when Joe goes into the Cain spiel twenty or so minutes in.

I'm about the same as you. He keeps comparing his skills to Jones, Cruz, Cain... It's like those are the best guys. I get that he's concerned for Brendan, I'm just more shocked at...why are you doing this on a podcast? 

I'm not saying Joe Rogan is wrong...but Schaub is hardly the only guy like that in the UFC.  

Just saying, the sport is always going to have middling or less than elite guys.  And a lot of guys at heavyweight are always going to get knocked out.

Matt Mitrione is hardly an elite fighter, and he's been knocked out by Roy Nelson.   Mark Hunt before his recent one had one of the worst records and losing streaks ever.  His UFC debut he was submitted by Sean McCorkle.  

If you interview the guy on his podcast, I don't think its your job to rail on the guy and tell him he's shit and that he's getting brain damage.  

If he gets Shogun on would he give him the same schpiel?  Fact is Shogun is not elite anymore and has tons of vulnerabilities.  His chin is shot and he's getting knocked out a lot more now.  

If you interview the guy on his podcast, I don't think its your job to rail on the guy and tell him he's shit and that he's getting brain damage.  

I would agree with that except for the fact that there is no set criteria for a podcast. Rogan isn't trying to protect some type of journalistic integrity. From a "we're just being conversational" perspective, the informal nature of podcasting protects Rogan. Unfortunately, what's going to make Rogan look like a douchebag is Schaub had NOTHING once he stopped explaining what happened in the Browne fight. Forget what you just brought up about other guys not being elite or w/e. If Schaub had even mentioned the fact Rogan just gleefully interviewed a man who said himself that he has 13 concussions, it turns into another conversation entirely. That or they eventually have an argument that automatically ends his (Schaub) UFC career.

People joke about UFC brass telling Rogan to retire people in the cage post-fight. But this is the other side of that coin. There is no crowd to cheer for you when you say you're going to continue fighting on and Rogan has to stand there with a dumb look on his face trying to process it. This was Rogan without the entire UFC figure facade.

The entire podcast was Schaub's idea to get critiqued live on air, as opposed to in private and then joke about it on Joe's podcast. I mean Schaub for a long time has sounded like his shit doesn't stink when the reality is that he is not a good fighter. The troubling thing is that he can't recognize that at all. Joe gave it his best shot at being honest and you can tell he really cares about Schaub. At some point, I feel like those two will have another conversation where Schaub will admit he wasn't able to see things that way because his mind was set a certain way.

As for Punk, he's not friends with Punk, or at least he isn't like he is with Schaub. His duty was to hype Punk. What difference would it have made if Schaub brought that up? Rogan would just say he had to hype the guy up. This would be entirely different if Joe EVER mentioned CM Punk ONCE on his podcast and hyped him up there, but he never has. If Joe knew anything about CM Punk, which he probably doesn't because he knows incredibly little about pro wrestling, then I'm sure he would have had his reservations. 

Joe has been getting more and more concerned with brain damage within the last year or two. I can't see him calling UFC fights for much longer because I think it's going to be too hard for him to take. And in Schaub, I don't think he wants to see something bad happen to him. Schaub unfortunately still thinks he's the shit and it may be too late until he realizes Joe was right.

As for Punk, he's not friends with Punk, or at least he isn't like he is with Schaub. His duty was to hype Punk. What difference would it have made if Schaub brought that up? Rogan would just say he had to hype the guy up. This would be entirely different if Joe EVER mentioned CM Punk ONCE on his podcast and hyped him up there, but he never has. If Joe knew anything about CM Punk, which he probably doesn't because he knows incredibly little about pro wrestling, then I'm sure he would have had his reservations.

What I am saying is there is an inherent contradiction anyway. Not only is his job to hype CM Punk, it's also his job to hype Schaub. So what is he going to do when Schaub has another fight on a PPV or main Fox show? He is going to pretend like Schaub actually has a shot to win, which apparently he does not feel anytime he goes out there with someone half decent. And looking at his record, he is going to fight someone like that 9 times out of 10. So if Schaub calls him a "two faced piece of shit company man", then he could've stopped at least some of bombardment he got. But hey, he got what he wanted.

Also, Rogan does not have to know about pro wrestling to know about Chris Benoit. If he can make the correlation with concussions with Terry Norris, then he can do with pro wrestling. He doesn't know about Rafael Nadal, but I'm pretty sure a 47 year old man can see pro wrestlers ain't playing tiddlywinks out there.

I've listened to every JRE and Joe barely knows who Benoit is. Anytime Benoit has come up, Joe either doesn't know his name or I think the one time he said a wrestler shot his family and then himself. Just listened to the CM Punk part too and yeah, wow, Joe has NO IDEA who CM Punk is when he speculates Punk is possibly doing this because he needs the money. That's the part of Joe that I hate. I wish he would check himself on that shit sometimes. Whatever though.

Anyway, I see what you're saying. I mean, Joe doesn't NEED to hype Schaub. There's plenty of fighters Joe doesn't hype up at all.

I really hope that Schaub realizes that he isn't an elite fighter. He really thinks he's constantly on the verge of a title shot though, and doesn't even think of Struve who is a better fighter than Schaub, has rattled off a bunch of wins in a row (before being derailed) and was just barely close to a title shot. If Schaub could think of that in regard to himself, then he would see that he's MILES away from ever getting a title shot.