DVDVR Message Board

MMA Talk.

The Natural

TUF from last night pulled the worst ratings in the show's history (both for individual shows and debuts).  

Not their worst individually:

http://www.mmajunkie.com/news/2012/12/the-ultimate-fighter-16-ratings-episode-no-12-draws-678000-viewers

Damn, I stand corrected.  Is it crazy I barely remember TUF 16?

TUF 16 was pretty forgettable so its understandable.  Colton Smith doesn't look like he will be amounting to much as it is.

Ricci vs. Smith is the only TUF final I haven't watched. That's saying something.

Well, that final I do remember as Dana was so goddamn pissed that Smith ruined their Ricci plans.  

Wait someone doesn't think team alpha male are a bunch of dbags? That name alone earns them almost Cobra Kai level hate.

My one take away from the new TUF is that there must have been a giant box of free Pride t-shirts right when you walked in the door.

Would anyone else like to see another season in the style of the comeback season? Veteran fighters getting a second shot?

Also, I think this season is going to make Rousey look really bad, and I've been a fan. Just the way she has been reacting to the press and the way she looks in the coming attractions, she just looks emotionally unstable in everything I've seen.

When was the last TUF season that didn't have poor ratings and people talking about what a waste of time it was? Everyone's sick of the formula, and all too aware that any especially exciting prospects wouldn't get put through the whole process in the first place, but I still enjoy it to be honest. I also don't understand why people don't like Ronda Rousey. She's probably somewhat if not entirely nuts, but at least she's interesting. To be honest, I assumed she was bullshitting about thinking she'd been replaced by Tate. She knew full well that Zingano had been replaced by Tate, was confronted with the thought of having to spend weeks in close proximity to someone she couldn't stand, and pretended she thought she was getting kicked off the show to save face. Before sulking through most of the qualifying fights. Still, the standard of acceptable erratic behaviour for male fighters is sky high, so it'd be a bit of a double standard to hold it against her. Unless you're one of those people who hates every fighter, which is fair enough.

I look at it this way if you see 100 douchebags and 98 of them are men, the 2 women are going to stand out a lot more.  I don't Rousey is a douche but she thinks everyone hates or is out to get her and has developed an extremely defensive complex. Maybe that comes with being the most important woman in MMA.

The problem with Meisha is that she thinks everyone likes her and it gives off a real mean girl vibe.  It also doesn't help that almost nobody in the business likes her husband. 

Matt Grice, a legend in Oklahoma high school wrestling who has had two stints in the UFC, was scheduled to undergo brain surgery tonight after being rear-ended at a stop light.

Grice, 32, was hit from behind at a red light in Pottawatmie County in Oklahoima and was scheduled for surgery tonight at OU Presbyterian hospital.

Grice is the only high school wrestler in the history of the state of Okahoma to win Outstanding Wrestler three times, and when you consider the wrestlers that have come out of the state, that is quite the statement.

But injuries plagued him in college. He's now 15-5 as an MMA fighter, and works as a police officer in Oklahoma City as his regular job. His last fight was a loss to Dennis Bermudez on Feb. 23 in Anaheim, Calif., which was one of the most amazing fights so far this year.

Fuck. Best wishes to Matt Grice, his family and friends.

Donald Cerrone vs. Evan Dunham on the GSP/Hendricks show (which is the 20th anniversary of the UFC celebration show).

Interesting.  Dana makes a match out of two guys whose last fight consisted of getting their asses whipped by Rafael Dos Anjos.

So far I am hating the 167 show on paper, which means it may turn out to be pretty good.  I'd rather see Sonnen fight Wandy since you can almost see the lovely specter of hate standing between those guys.

The only thing that remains to be seen is what will Brian Ebersole etch into his chest hair.