DVDVR Message Board

MMA Talk.

The Natural

Nate Diaz now training with Team Alpha Male.

He really adds a different type of douche to that crew.

I don't know what makes them douchebags. They have been one of the consistently tight knit units (and better performing teams in Zuffa) since they all came together. They actually acknowledge their weaknesses unlike many other top camps, who would rather hire their homeboys to be coaches until they disband. I've never heard one outside fighter that trained there for extra help have anything not positive to say about them.

• Like 2

So now it appears they are setting up Chael Sonnen vs. Rashad Evans.  Oddly, the people who hated the Sonnen vs. Phil Davis fight think this is a great fight.  I think it stinks just as much (esp. after Rashad's last few fights).

Well Rashad Evans is a bigger name, and Evans also beat Phil Davis and is a former champion so there's that.

Sonnen / Evans is now official.  They are the co-main on UFC 167 with St. Pierre / Hendricks.

Anthony Pettis's 1st title defense will be against TJ Grant once Pettis recovers from his knee sprain.

I believe that Pettis/Grant will take place sometime around January or so is my speculation.  With Jones/Teixeira taking place at the Super Bowl card, especially now that the SB card this year is in Jersey right near the SB itself.  Probably will do something like Johnson/Benavidez on the TUF Finale card and Faber/Edgar for the FOX December card(FOX card is probably going to be in Sacramento).

http://www.mmaweekly.com/peggy-morgans-tuf-18-fighter-blog-week-1-this-is-going-to-be-a-bloodbath

Adding to the sense of confusion was that instead of walking in to see Ronda Rousey and Cat Zingano, as we had expected, we found Ronda and Miesha Tate waiting for us. The world of Women’s MMA is relatively small and many of the fighters there knew Miesha personally. Some were happy to see her there. Others were not. If you think Ronda’s reaction to learning that Miesha would be coaching opposite her was extreme, you should have heard Tara LaRosa: “What the (expletive) is that (expletive) doing here?”

I'm rooting for Sharbait from the men and don't have a pick yet from the women.  Would love Roxy, but she's gonna get roughed up sooner or later.

TUF from last night pulled the worst ratings in the show's history (both for individual shows and debuts).  

Not their worst individually:

http://www.mmajunkie.com/news/2012/12/the-ultimate-fighter-16-ratings-episode-no-12-draws-678000-viewers

Damn, I stand corrected.  Is it crazy I barely remember TUF 16?

TUF 16 was pretty forgettable so its understandable.  Colton Smith doesn't look like he will be amounting to much as it is.

Honestly I like the Overeem/Mir fight a lot.  There's a good chance we will see a fun knockout.  Either guy can arguably be cut with a loss and be main eventing the next Bellator PPV lickety split.

TUF from last night pulled the worst ratings in the show's history (both for individual shows and debuts).  

http://www.mmajunkie.com/news/2012/12/the-ultimate-fighter-16-ratings-episode-no-12-draws-678000-viewers

TUF 16 was pretty forgettable so its understandable.  Colton Smith doesn't look like he will be amounting to much as it is.

Ricci vs. Smith is the only TUF final I haven't watched. That's saying something.

• Like 1

Honestly I like the Overeem/Mir fight a lot.  There's a good chance we will see a fun knockout.  Either guy can arguably be cut with a loss and be main eventing the next Bellator PPV lickety split.

I honestly couldn't even tell you who Colton Smith is, and I watched most of that season. Yeah. At least mixing in the women breaks things up a little bit and brings in some "familiar" names that could have an impact relatively soon as opposed to what we've seen from TUF veterans lately.

• Like 1