DVDVR Message Board

MMA Talk.

The Natural

I can't keep up with ufc as it is. That 2015 schedule makes me cry. All these shows are going to be even more watered down garbage.

There's always Bellator/Strikeforce 3.0 for you.  No more tournaments, and lots of tomato can fights for Lashley and King Mo.  

Bellator has released Rick Hawn which imo is a bad move. Hawn is a very good fighter.

Titan FC has already shown interest in signing him.

Hawn would be a good, solid gatekeeper in the UFC. He is good enough to send WWs that don't belong there packing. If he goes to Titan, he'll just be another guy. At almost 40, it's either shit or get off the pot. Titan will always be around for lower level fighters, but his skills will erode faster than he probably expects.

I think releasing Hawn was a mistake.  He was one of the promotion's more seasoned veterans that had become fairly well established there, not to mention he won two tournaments in two different weight classes there.  I realize the tournament system is obsolete there, but he could've been a decent name to have around to bolster the mid-card of other fight cards.  How many fighters actually have 9 wins in Bellator?  You can probably count them on one hand.

Randa Markos beat Felice Herrig by reverse Crippler Crossface submission. I had hoped that, with the show being in it's later stages and everyone's personality established, they would have got to the "Ladies and Gentlemen, the reality TV portion of this season has now concluded, please stay tuned for an exciting MMA tournament" bit of the show, but not yet. You'd think taking two weeks off for Baseball would have forced them to compress things a bit though, wouldn't you?

Good point, but that's the format they always do. Even with the live season on FX, it still felt like a fight being propped up by 30-35 minutes of house drama. In this case, it's "Mean Girls 3: The Reckoning" and being played out in every aspect. Fortunately for them, they were able to gets the ratings up a bit for last night's episode.

Anyway, Belfort passed his 11/1 random urine and blood drug test.

• Like 1

They've changed the narrative of the season quite abruptly though. Up until this week, the story was "Team Pettis are a united force, while Team Melendez are torn apart by personality clashes (because some of them are massive bastards)". And now suddenly it's "Look at all these horrible, divisive people".

Not that anyone really watches TUF for the reality TV aspect. Except Ricky Gervais.

They've changed the narrative of the season quite abruptly though. Up until this week, the story was "Team Pettis are a united force, while Team Melendez are torn apart by personality clashes (because some of them are massive bastards)". And now suddenly it's "Look at all these horrible, divisive people".

Not that anyone really watches TUF for the reality TV aspect. Except Ricky Gervais.

Well, this week was the first quarter-finals and Rose is the only one left from Team Melendez. Thus, everything went into Tecia being sleep deprived and Felice/Carla against Randa.

Side note: Tecia is so muscular that she is hilariously bow-legged. That Oompa Loompa walk through the hallway was unintentionally funny.

• Like 2

Personally, I've enjoyed the fights and the season overall.  Don't get why the drama always ticks everyone off.  Even male fighters tend to be a catty, sensitive bunch and it's been that way for years.

because it was awesome when it was Chris Leben. Plus he punched a door and slept on the lawn.

It just depends on the situation. I think Rose was able to kinda get herself over and stand out on the episode she fought. However, before that, I was like, "she seems like an incredible bitch". I am not a big fan of the whole "Thug Rose" persona thing, but now I can see why people would like her on the show. With guys, you can just play it off as being jocks and dorks. I didn't really watch the season with the bantamweight women, but this season feels much more visceral. Even when whatsherface said she had the torn ACL that may not be torn in reality, Rose still reeled off a snide remark. I mean I really don't care for the whole ladylike thing, but the thing in the van where Carla and Randa did the "got to have the last word" bit could potentially alienate the people who actually watch the show. At some point, you would want them to drop whatever issue they have.

If you're going to edit the show, you do need a clear babyface who everyone is pulling for. No one is a true babyface. At best, they are a tweener. Even adorable, cute-as-a-button, sounding like the voiceover at the end of The Piano Joanne Calderwood seems very rough around the edges. Personally, I found that endearing though.

I can see a lot of the stuff as competitive spirit (which is good because that was my main complaint early on), but I can also feel the "This is personal" vibes.

Yeah, not sure what's worse.

Felice and Carla acting like Nickelodeon bullies or Leben punching a glass door, sleeping on the lawn and Diego Sanchez wanting to fight aliens.

Jo Jo is a sweetheart.