DVDVR Message Board

MMA Talk.

The Natural

Also, if I was a camera operator on the show, I'd probably spend quite a lot of time focussing on Rose.

No doubt, agreed, but focusing that much on her gave it away she was going to take it.

Also Tecia's second chance is next week against Bec who she should handily beat. I fully don't expect another upset specially considering she's fighting Bec who's probably the most overrated fighter on the show.

Guram Gugenishvili was killed in a car crash.  He was M-1's Heavyweight champ and they wanted him to be the heir to Fedor.  You might remember the M-1 shows on Showtime ran Guram is coming ads...and then he never debuted.

The UFC card in Broomfield for 2/14 has 3 official fights so far: Max Holloway vs. Cole Miller, Zach Makovsky vs. Tim Elliot, and Ray Borg vs. Chris Kelades

Rick Story vs. Brandon Thatch is rumored but not confirmed yet.

Bellator is going to be my favorite promotion in 2015. Its so fucking carny over there right now. With Scott dead-set on making WMMA 145 a reality, the Bonnar/Ortiz antics, disgruntled W. Silva, the rise of Michael Paige, and past their prime fighters like Rampage still talking shit- its going to be amazing. Sign me up for every show.

Not sure what the structure of UFC's deal is, but they really should just cut ties with him and let him do what he wants.

It doesn't really matter. He won't be able to fight anywhere in America.

Also Pancrase has signed Will “The Kill” Chope who they're heavily pushing.

I am not sure what Wanderlei can do for Bellator. People don't watch him for his oratory skills. I just take it as "Hey, Wand's coach has his gym in SoCal so why not capitalize on that and his name." Because there is pretty much nothing they can do with him that would be beneficial for Bellator.

• Like 1

I am more worried about Cain than I was ever was with Cruz. Cruz had hand issues in the past but he didn't have a really big chunk of time out of the cage until after UFC 132. There are a ton of guys right now that are snakebit and then a major injury really hampers their ability to make it into the cage. At some point, they usually get back on the horse and have no problems over the next 3-4 bouts. They just aren't current UFC champions or top fighters. Cain goes beyond that because he either goes into a fight with a major injury or he leaves with one. Then, add in the fact that wrestling night at AKA is very physical and Cain has injury history with both legs. It's a recipe for disaster every camp. It may be time for the UFC reassess how they are going to utilize him in the future. Stripping him of the belt would only be one part of it.

• Like 1

I am more worried about Cain than I was ever was with Cruz. Cruz had hand issues in the past but he didn't have a really big chunk of time out of the cage until after UFC 132. There are a ton of guys right now that are snakebit and then a major injury really hampers their ability to make it into the cage. At some point, they usually get back on the horse and have no problems over the next 3-4 bouts. They just aren't current UFC champions or top fighters. Cain goes beyond that because he either goes into a fight with a major injury or he leaves with one. Then, add in the fact that wrestling night at AKA is very physical and Cain has injury history with both legs. It's a recipe for disaster every camp. It may be time for the UFC reassess how they are going to utilize him in the future. Stripping him of the belt would only be one part of it.

I have the same concerns about Chris Weidman right now.  Seems he is constantly getting injured as well.  

Not sure what the structure of UFC's deal is, but they really should just cut ties with him and let him do what he wants.

It will be a lot of fun to see what they do, esp. after Dana's rant about Bjorn holding fighters who don't want to be there and saying, "We don't do that!"

• Like 1

It seems like everybody on the roster is getting injured non-stop. 

Yeah, indeed. So does this go back to there essentially being no quality control when it comes to gyms and training camps, or is UFC that unlucky and has a bunch of snakebit fighters on top?

It seems like everybody on the roster is getting injured non-stop. 

Yeah, indeed. So does this go back to there essentially being no quality control when it comes to gyms and training camps, or is UFC that unlucky and has a bunch of snakebit fighters on top?

Eh, it's a bit more than that essentially IMO. Most of the top coaches have been around for awhile. I believe Michael Carroll (either him or one of the other MMA statistician guys) tabulated data and found out that the Alpha Male camp pulled out of fights the least over a certain period of time. But it's not like Alpha Male is known for their ability to only go hard during padwork. Guys from outside the gym (I remember Nam Phan being one) talked about how they got beat up going into the room because it's so high level. However, I would attribute some of their success to the fact that they haven't let the size of their team swell to late era Xtreme Couture. If they were like ATT where there was a new guy wearing their gym patch on their shorts every UFC show, Alpha Male would eventually get up there in terms of people getting injured. Then it is pretty much a percentage game.

Since I brought him up in passing already, I will use the Rafael Cordeiro example. Jordan Breen always alludes to a certain coach and how he is shocked at some of the stuff that goes on in their gym he has witnessed. I'm 99.9% certain it's Rafael Cordeiro. The thing is, when his fighters fight, you're never going to doubt whether they left it all in the cage. I would use the Ann Wolfe/James Kirkland boxing example, but Cordeiro has a track record of success with more than one fighter. He actually has trained champions and trains title contenders. Shit, he's cornering guy in a UFC title fight THIS WEEKEND. I am also certain that many top coaches would never approve of his methods. That's pretty much a good reason so many people split off from Chute Boxe years old and did their own thing. That and giant management rifts. However, the latter can be accredited to Rudimar mainly. But how is someone like Fabricio Werdum able to make it to the fight and Cain Velasquez doesn't?

Moreover, MMA culture is just vastly different now. Your gym is your gym. It's not like fourteen or fifteen years ago where one gym would train with another gym. It still goes down but it's usually small gym to big gym (i.e. some broom closet in the midwest to Coconut Creek). It's not like when the Minnesota and Ohio guys were going down to train in Bettendorf after fighting each other in Extreme Challenge and wherever else Monte Cox reigned. The Tri-Star/Grudge/Jackson's thing is pretty much over with too. Travis Browne just left Jackson's to go to LA, but he isn't like "Hey, I am going to come back eventually". It's more like "Edmond is the fucking greatest coach EVER!' and "I didn't get enough attention in ABQ". Point being that fighters get in where they (believe) fit in. Their careers have pretty much overshadowed the meaning behind why and where they train. Firas isn't going to change the fact Miguel Torres is done as a fighter. But that's the culture. Firas trained GSP. "I" believe I can be champion. Let me train with Firas. If Greg Jackson and Winklejohn were just two bums that owned a gym somewhere out in the desert, Alistair Overeem wouldn't train with them. Thus, Overeem wouldn't roll up into Jackson's and injure Jon Jones back in August. Even if it was just something ordinary and/or a freak accident, Overeem comes from a culture vastly different than one you'd find in the states. I don't want to put a negative connotation behind it, but it is what it is.

• Like 1