DVDVR Message Board

MMA Talk.

The Natural

We are partly right, I just looked it up.  Going into the season he said they had a kid that could be the next Anderson Silva and from the way he talked about Junie early on everyone assumed that's who he was talking about but he never said who he was talking about.  At least not from the search I just did. 

Holy shit, I just remembered they were on the same season.  I was thinking they were on different seasons for some reason. 

I think that was one of the final seasons where everybody was really kinda pumped for watching TUF. It also featured Minotauro having the greatest reactions to Junie's ridiculous behavior. Ole Andy Silva no selling Bader's flush punches was also great.

I remember Junie being compared to Leben mostly. Those two would be excellent cellmates with Mayhem occupying the cell next door.

Holy shit. How has no one created a "Fighters House" TV show with some of these lunatics? 

I think this is more or less to see if he can still make 135 (or at least 136). Gagnon is a decent fighter, but looking like crap against him even in a win would pretty much send Barao to FW.

• Like 1

Rich Franklin Zone. He isn't fighting anyone close to the title.

I think they were trying to do Faber vs. Assuncao II but Faber didn't want that. They probably would sacrifice Assuncao especially if Cruz would be the presumed favorite over Dillashaw.

• Like 1

Erik Fontanez ‏@Erik_Fontanez 45s

Per @UFC, Urijah Faber vs. Cisco Rivera has been added to UFC 181.

Why is Faber fighting a dude who just lost his last fight?

Because he's beaten or finished everyone else in the top 10 except Barao.  

Do we need to see him rematch Michael McDonald, Mizugaki, Alcantara, Wineland, Assuncao?  All guys he's beaten and/or finished before.  

It's a tough situation with Faber now that Dillashaw is champ and he's beaten like everyone else in the division.  

A rematch with Barao makes no sense.  A rematch with Cruz can't happen unless Cruz wins this next fight and stays healthy.  But that's why this fight is happening.  There is literally no one else higher up for Faber to fight right now.

I think they were trying to do Faber vs. Assuncao II but Faber didn't want that. They probably would sacrifice Assuncao especially if Cruz would be the presumed favorite over Dillashaw.

Makes no sense to sacrifice Assuncao as a contender right now to Faber of all people with Dillashaw as champ.  Plus they fought once before and Faber finished him.  

I am saying that if you ultimately want Cruz vs. Faber III as an endgame, you position Faber as the rightful #1 contender by beating Assuncao again. But if neither party (Faber or Assuncao) wants the fight, they would be no reason to even to have Faber going against a young prospect who might be a legit guy like a Pedro Munhoz or Aljamain Sterling. That's what happens in a top heavy division with very little name recognition.

• Like 1

The problem is that Assuncao could always beat Faber in the rematch and ruin the endgame either way.  I think a third Cruz/Faber fight is inevitable before both guys retire at some point, whether the belt is on the line or not.  But I also think it makes little sense to book a Faber/Assuncao rematch now considering both guys place.  Assuncao is really the next top contender before Faber.

The problem is that Assuncao could always beat Faber in the rematch and ruin the endgame either way.  I think a third Cruz/Faber fight is inevitable before both guys retire at some point, whether the belt is on the line or not.  But I also think it makes little sense to book a Faber/Assuncao rematch now considering both guys place.  Assuncao is really the next top contender before Faber.

If Assuncao beats Faber, who has never lost a non-title fight ever, it does way more for Assuncao (and the UFC by proxy) than beating Bryan Caraway at 12:30 a.m. ET on a show without much hype. Right now, he is just a mandatory title challenger. At least in boxing, you get step aside money. Assuncao lost his title shot for free twice.

Going from whoever the hell Aljamain was fighting before he pulled out of his last fight to Faber is something I definitely wouldn't do. He should be styling on people like Frankie Saenz right now, which is what Sean Shelby has done.

Edit: He was suppose to fight Gagnon. That tells you exactly who they consider a real prospect and a fringe prospect right there. One is fighting the ex-champ in a comeback effort and the other is fighting a guy without a Wikipedia page.