DVDVR Message Board

MMA Talk.

The Natural

A fight that'll be on a card that no one will watch and one on here gives a crap about, Ken Hasegawa will be making his US debut against Matt Thompson at Titan FC 31.

Also that dude who's friends with Rory McDonald, Mike Ricci will be fighting Yoshiyuki Yoshida who I'm sure you probably remember or have seen in various UFC highlights choking out War Machine for the Titan FC LW title on the same card.

Cody McKenzie missed weight on his first attempt for the upcoming one night eight man tournament he's going to be in, so he donated blood to lose the remaining weight and that eventually helped him make weight.

Cody McKenzie missed weight on his first attempt for the upcoming one night eight man tournament he's going to be in, so he donated blood to lose the remaining weight and that eventually helped him make weight.

I would think that would be extremely dangerous but trying to lose tons of weight in less than a day in any fashion can't be safe 

It also did him no favors as he loss in the first round of the tournament by submission to Brock Larson in the second round of the fight who then lost to Roan Carneiro by unanimous decision in the finals of the tournament.

Nam Phan choked out Yuki Baba in the first round yesterday at Pancrase 261 in Japan.

He's 2-0 now post UFC winning 2 fights in Japan last time having knocked out Kenichi Ito also in the first round.

Also Satoru Kitaoka beat Richie Whitson by unanimous decision in the Pancrase World Slam LW tournament semi final.

just watched the Battlegrounds PPV event and i loved everything about it. the fights were all at least decent. the announce team of JR & Chael was phenomenal. i had a blast watching it and hope for more.

Man, I couldn't disagree with you more. Ross was just plain horrible. It was like he was watching his first event, and was handed a wikipedia page on every guy. Chael was decent, but all he was doing was a comedy routine basically. Nobody was calling obvious set ups for subs, and then the sub would happen right after. 

just watched the Battlegrounds PPV event and i loved everything about it. the fights were all at least decent. the announce team of JR & Chael was phenomenal. i had a blast watching it and hope for more.

Man, I couldn't disagree with you more. Ross was just plain horrible. It was like he was watching his first event, and was handed a wikipedia page on every guy. Chael was decent, but all he was doing was a comedy routine basically. Nobody was calling obvious set ups for subs, and then the sub would happen right after. 

i feel like JR was terrible at first, but after an hour or so found his rhythm. You could tell he has never been an MMA guy tho.  Chael mixed it up between comedy and analyzing, which i found to be in great balance. i can see how someone could not want that much comedy, tho. 

Didn't watch the Battleground show, but I did catch the time he did the Golden Boy Live Memorial Day show. Granted there was no one really noteworthy on the show, I could tell he was really fascinated with the whole storytelling aspect of it. That's the problem though. There wasn't anyone on the Golden Boy show on the level of a Brock Larson or Jucao except Rocky Juarez, who is about 6 years removed from his prime. Sometimes, there isn't a narrative there to tell. The first bout he called on that show was a 3 or 4 round women's amateur fight between two random enlisted girls. Somehow, JR had to make that much bigger than what it was. I know he is willing to start over since I heard him say it in the interviews with Meltzer prior to both those shows. However, at his age and experience level, it's hard to go from high level events to low level cards. It's even harder when it's going from fake sport to real sport.

I really didn't even consider giving the Battlegrounds PPV a watch. The card didn't really have any noteworthy fighters, fights or potential fights to really garner my interest. Roan Carneiro, Brock Larson, Cody McKenzie and Luigi Fioravanti maybe some of the most uninteresting fighters I can think of.

There's also rumors that DEEP is running an MMA event on NYE at the Saitama Super Arena. The DEEP boss Saeki Shigeru already said he's looking to co-promote with Pancrase and Shooto. Also Shinya Aoki already threw his name in the hat of fighters looking to fight on the card and INOKI BOM-BA-YE is also on NYE in Japan which will feature Cro Cop vs. Satoshi Ishii II.

I love how nobody had a clue til a few hours before the show. Way to go UFC.

Ariel tweeted it several hours before the show. Maybe the people from Bloody Elbow thought he was joking, but it definitely happened. Stupid Fraser Coffeen from BE put up the episode discussion thread for Felice/whatsherface an hour before the show and confused me. I had to turn it to FS1 to make sure. I saw they were replaying the episode from 2 weeks ago with Lightskin Supreme (Rose) arguing about that silly junior high notebook game they were playing. You would think someone from Bloody Elbow would tell one of their writers about that or at least follow Ariel or one of the official UFC twitter accounts (who all tweeted the show was going dark).

Apparently, WSOF isn't going to PPV anytime soon. I guess no one bought the bait. If you want to improve your rep for potential big names FAs, going back on promises that obviously weren't going to pan out will cause the opposite of what you want to happen. Funny how that works.

• Like 1