DVDVR Message Board

MMA Talk.

The Natural

He did already guaranteed they were all in the UFC on the 1st episode though. Plus, I believe they have those contracts they acquired prior to the show. Now that this also hasn't happened before, but it would very bad PR to go back on both of those promises. With the way they've been treating Invicta (and essentially saving the company), I seriously doubt that occurs.

Is it just me, or does Melendez talk just a little too much about scoring points and winning rounds? He comes across like he puts more thought into his game-plans than Pettis [that could be editing, I suppose] but he never seems to mention the other ways a fight could end.

Well he hasn't finished a fight in about 3 and a half years ;) .

I mean against Henderson, he played it very safe.  He figured he was up on the rounds, took his foot off the gas and because of that lost the biggest fight of his career and didn't become UFC champion.  

I know the "don't leave it in the hands of the judges" thing is stupid and a pet peeve for many.  But when a fight is close, sometimes you have to do something big to leave no doubt in someone's mind that you won.  That doesn't necessarily mean getting the finish, but just doing a big move be it a big slam, a knockdown, or the Showtime Kick or what have you.

Is it bad that I'm totally out of TUF again? I just can't do it. o

Not really. For other seasons, it was different reasons. But I don't like faux Bad Girls Clubs vibe from the show this season. I know that's how it's going to be with a bunch of women between the ages of 18-35, but it's too high school clique-ish for me. In my opinion, that stuff played with Real World vs. Road Rules ten years ago. Personally, I don't give two shits who Rose Namajunas does or doesn't like. They're basically asking everyone to watch a bunch of undertrained women sit around and gossip for 25 minutes, train for 10 minutes, and the fight for the remaining 15-20 minutes. It's brutal when you're not expecting some knockouts or anything violent but athletic at the same time. And that's on a channel no one really watches in the first place. I'll sit through some bullshit to watch Uriah Hall send someone into the next galaxy. Just please don't make me watch an Oxygen reality show followed by 10-15 minutes of pedestrian fighting.

• Like 1

Conor McGregor has been nothing short of magnificent on the UFC 178 Embedded videos. This guy is straight out of a Guy Ritchie or early Matthew Vaughan movie. I don't usually fall into the UFC fan/MMA writer talking point machine, but they NEED him to win on Saturday.

Is it bad that I'm totally out of TUF again? I just can't do it. o

Not really. For other seasons, it was different reasons. But I don't like faux Bad Girls Clubs vibe from the show this season. I know that's how it's going to be with a bunch of women between the ages of 18-35, but it's too high school clique-ish for me. In my opinion, that stuff played with Real World vs. Road Rules ten years ago. Personally, I don't give two shits who Rose Namajunas does or doesn't like. They're basically asking everyone to watch a bunch of undertrained women sit around and gossip for 25 minutes, train for 10 minutes, and the fight for the remaining 15-20 minutes. It's brutal when you're not expecting some knockouts or anything violent but athletic at the same time. And that's on a channel no one really watches in the first place. I'll sit through some bullshit to watch Uriah Hall send someone into the next galaxy. Just please don't make me watch an Oxygen reality show followed by 10-15 minutes of pedestrian fighting.

Even worse than Bad Girls Club, they are basically doing the Oxygen show Fighters Girl that was a TUF rip-off itself which featured Felice Herrig on it.  It also aired 7 years ago. :-(

I forgot about that show completely. For some reason, my mind made it a web show.

An addendum to what I stated earlier:

If the girls didn't do the cheesy pose for the belt in the intro, you would have absolutely no idea these girls are fighting for the highest prize in the sport. They've totally taken away to context of what the fighters are competing for. Tecia Torres lost in episode one and she has only spoken once on camera since then. She was one of the odds on favorite to win, and she has been relegated to playing the background for stretching panties across a painting on the wall. All that time with Felice and Angela Hill can be spent, ya know, actually talking about how Tecia and Emily lost out on the biggest opportunity of their lives. But hey, I ain't no fancy TV producer.

Thiago Silva's UFC contract has been terminated. 

I'm sure I'm not fully up to date on this... but has new information come to light that has led to this? Last I saw, he was freshly and unjustifiably rehired. Did they just have a moment of clarity?

His estranged wife released some videos where he is apparently high on cocaine and is brandishing a gun.  This was like days after the UFC reinstated his contract.  

I guess Bethe if they want Ronda to fight Brazil, but who knows with all that can happen? Alexis Davis didn't even touch her and Ronda still had to sit on the shelf. Personally, I wouldn't plan that far ahead and piss off potential customers.

I know Dana probably doesn't want to give Bethe a title shot yet, but there's really no one else with a solid enough streak to justify receiving a title shot over her.

re: UFC Fight Pass

is there a website that lists all the archived shows available on it?

i know you can see day-to-day updates of the WWE Network so was wondering if there's something like that for Fight Pass.

I don't think Fight Pass has daily updates listed but they have these two links on the front page.

http://www.ufc.tv/category/ufc-fight-pass-exclusive-main-events

http://www.ufc.tv/category/recent-events

re: UFC Fight Pass

is there a website that lists all the archived shows available on it?

i know you can see day-to-day updates of the WWE Network so was wondering if there's something like that for Fight Pass.

I don't think Fight Pass has daily updates listed but they have these two links on the front page.

http://www.ufc.tv/category/ufc-fight-pass-exclusive-main-events

http://www.ufc.tv/category/recent-events

thanks, but i was more looking for when the upload some of the older stuff.

specifically looking for full events (including prelims) of strikeforce and affliction.