DVDVR Message Board

MMA Talk.

The Natural

Holy shit, that really is an ECW promo. Weird lighting on the face and everything.

I cannot wait for Wandy to jump Chael's wrestling coach in a parking lot and tie him to a cross..

• Like 1

They sure seem to be with the Cormier is going down to LHW prior to everyone of his fights but he continues to fight at HW.  Can he realistically make 205 without totally becoming a zombie in the cage?  He had kidney problems 5 years ago trying to get down to a similar weight for the olympics which was 5 years ago.  So if he  couldn't make the cut anymore half a decade ago, is it really that raelistic that he'll eventually make the cut a half decade later?  If he really wanted to go to LHW he wouldn't be fighting Roy Nelson next.

I think he can make it but I don't think he can make it by just trying to cut the weight from his normal mark.  At least not without some performance issues.  I'd think it would take a matter of half a year or so of reshaping his body and adjusting his lifestyle and workout routines.  

From the info I could glean from rimz's tales in San Jose, Cormier and Javier Mendez like to get their grub on. Maybe I am underestimating Cormier's discipline (which you need in order to be an Olympian), but I don't know if that is something he wants to do at his age.

From the info I could glean from rimz's tales in San Jose, Cormier and Javier Mendez like to get their grub on. Maybe I am underestimating Cormier's discipline (which you need in order to be an Olympian), but I don't know if that is something he wants to do at his age.

Didn't his fellow Olympians even question his discipline?  Either way, he has nothing for Jon Jones at LHW.

I think he's a much tougher matchup for Jon Jones than any other current LHW challenger.  Glover is a wildcard.  I think the toughest test for Jones would be a guy who is stronger than him and that would put a lot of pressure on him in the clinch and that's Cormier.  Cormier obviously has great wrestling and he's a guy that always pressures guys in the clinch.  Anyone that can't execute that gameplan is going to get eaten alive in the standup because of Jones' reach and speed.  I don't think Jones is going to be taken down with a conventional shot and I don't think anyone is going to have success in the standup because of Jones' reach and because he's so diverse in his strikes.  I really don't think he's going to be seriously tested unless he fights Cormier at LHW or he moves up to HW although I'm still definitely interested to see what Glover can bring. 

Cormier has tiny little T-Rex arms.  He's not getting on the inside of Jones' reach.

On a completely unrelated note, I watched the Countdown to UFC 164 last night.  Josh Barnett is still insufferable and thinks he is hilarious.  Zuffa completely avoids mentioning how he lost the Heavyweight title.  This upcoming fight with Mir is gonna suuuuuck.

That's the thing, you can't play the game where you try to set up some outside shot with strikes against Jones.  He'd just have to go right at him and clinch.  But that's easier said then done when you get in the cage with Jon Jones.  The same could be said agianst Anderson.  Any success that Chael had against Anderson came when he just ran across the cage and went right at Anderson.  I think the same strategy would need to be used agianst Jones in which case it doesn't matter how tiny dudes arms are. 

Jon Jones would invite the clinch unlike Anderson. Anderson now basically uses the first whole first round as a feeling out process, which is a detriment to the judges and winning the fight. If you're a capable and solid wrestler, you can count on Anderson giving up that first takedown if you can legitimately get underneath his legs for a takedown. And if you just clinch with him, he'll stand against the cage with you trading knees to the legs. Jones, on the other hand, would love if Cormier came out and tried to play the strength game. Even if he did somehow manage to get him down, Jones would perhaps elbow the crap out of him from the bottom and get right back up. After one or two rounds, if he made it that far, Cormier would be on cruise control and get absolutely stomped in the striking department. As mentioned already, we don't even know how his body would react after ten minutes of that at 205.

Pat Curran vs. Daniel Straus on the Bellator PPV, Nov. 2.

They're not going to have anything worthwhile to headline any of their other cards.

Is Tito/Rampage going to be a 3 or 5 rounder?  Since I don't think having 4 five round fights on a single PPV leaves much room for any other fights on the card.

They already have three title fights. I can't imagine how disastrous it would be if you had a Strikeforce Nashville situation + another 25 minutes with two past their prime fighters.  

• Like 1