DVDVR Message Board

MMA Talk.

The Natural

Why would you say that? Because of his history of turning down fights?

Machida is bigger, stronger, faster, has better wrestling, good BJJ, and is a better striker with knockout power.

I think Diaz is smart enough to know he needs to come back to a winnable fight considering he is 1-2 in this UFC run. This fight is not winnable for him.

Machida is bigger, stronger, faster, has better wrestling, good BJJ, and is a better striker with knockout power.

I think Diaz is smart enough to know he needs to come back to a winnable fight considering he is 1-2 in this UFC run. This fight is not winnable for him.

I don't think any of those reasons would factor into Diaz not taking the fight.  I've never known Machida to have any kind of "wrestling" per se either.  He's a bigger guy, that's about it. I don't think for one minute that Diaz wouldn't expect to win that fight, not that he would though.  I think his only reasons for not taking the fight would come from him being an eccentric nutjob, not having to do with the opponent. 

I don't think any of those reasons would factor into Diaz not taking the fight.  I've never known Machida to have any kind of "wrestling" per se either.  He's a bigger guy, that's about it. I don't think for one minute that Diaz wouldn't expect to win that fight, not that he would though.  I think his only reasons for not taking the fight would come from him being an eccentric nutjob, not having to do with the opponent. 

I suppose I should have said Machida has excellent defensive wrestling. Diaz isn't Phil Davis or Jon Jones so he's not taking Machida down to work his BJJ game was my point.

It has been almost exactly 5 months since he last fought. If he was even remotely interested in any fight, we would have heard by now. Funny how the whole aura about Diaz is that he doesn't need to show up to do media because he will show up to the fight. Well, he isn't showing up to fight either.

Bellator keeps digging its own grave.  Doug Marshall is out of his title shot against Shlemenko.  So what do they do?  Give the title shot to Brett Cooper, who just got KTFO in his last fight.  And, yes, this is a week removed from Bjorn mocking Dana for giving Chael a title shot off a loss.

• Like 1

But they have a system to decide new title challengers.  It's a system that makes about as much sense as TNA's rankings, but they have executives and fighters vote based on win/loss records and voting and all that jazz!

What happened to matchmaking not deciding who gets title shots?  I thought you had to earn your title shot?  I thought fighters determined their own destiny in Bellator?

Vitor and Hendo are in different stages of their careers then when they fought the first time on the first Pride card in the US.  Hendo was one of the top LHWs back then at the top of his game while Vitor was on the verge of going down to MW and working through a tough spot in his career.  But the roles have reversed since then and Vitor is red hot right now while Dan is going through the twilight of his career with tons of injury problems.  I think Vitor takes the rematch.

Yeah, this is just lazy matchmaking.  Henderson in his last two fights hasn't looked so great, just stalking forward with his right hand cocked and headhunting.  Of course, 90% of folks are going, "THIS IS AWSOME! PRIDE RULZZZ!"

It is lazy matchmaking. But at the same time they have to feed someone to Vitor "we're not hiding him in Brazil" Belfort without killing off any more potential title challengers at MW or LHW.

I guess Sonnen could have worked too. Going with Hendo/Vitor probably means they've convinced Wanderlei to fight Sonnen.