DVDVR Message Board

MMA Talk.

The Natural

According to MMAJunkie, Eddie Alvarez has reached an agreement with Bellator to fight Michael Chandler on Nov. 2.

Looking forward to that as the first fight was the second best fight of 2011. Frankie Edgar vs. Gray Maynard II was my Fight of the Year.

I wonder what they settled on.  Or if the fact that they scheduled a PPV was enough to satisfy Alvarez.  Regardless, it's still extremely shitty that the dispute happened in the first place. 

This.

I wonder what they settled on.  Or if the fact that they scheduled a PPV was enough to satisfy Alvarez.  Regardless, it's still extremely shitty that the dispute happened in the first place. 

I don't think the fact they're going to PPV would be enough. Heck, they could've scheduled a PPV in between one of the seasons and the summer series when they still would have momentum. I think Bellator/Viacom made Eddie fold just because he saw they were so determined to put the screws to him. It happened with Zuffa and Randy Couture, but we saw that relationship never properly mend.

Ariel Helwani ‏@arielhelwani

And there you have it: Both ESPN and USA Today reporting that Chandler vs. Alvarez 2 for 11/2 is a done deal. Eddie is a free man ... sorta.

More from Ariel:

Ariel Helwani ‏@arielhelwani

One more note: last week, a solid source told me the deal was if Alvarez lost, he can walk away. If he won, he has to do the trilogy.

… per the contract terms. I just asked Alvarez about that, but he said he can't talk about the contract right now. So that's where we stand

From Mike Chiappetta:

Mike Chiappetta MMA ‏@MikeChiappetta

Terms of Bellator/Alvarez settlement not disclosed. I'm told it wasn't necessarily a match of the originally offered 8-fight UFC deal

Ariel Helwani ‏@arielhelwaninowOne more note: last week, a solid source told me the deal was if Alvarez lost, he can walk away. If he won, he has to do the trilogy.Ariel Helwani ‏@arielhelwani25s… per the contract terms. I just asked Alvarez about that, but he said he can't talk about the contract right now. So that's where we standMikeChiappetta MMA ‏@MikeChiappettanowTerms of Bellator/Alvarez settlement not disclosed. I'm told it wasn't necessarily a match of the originally offered 8-fight UFC deal

So I wonder if that means he's only got 1 or 2 fights with Bellator before he becomes an unrestricted free agent?  in other words he only agreed to return to Bellator to fight Chandler, no one else.

I doubt Alvarez would throw the fight as that would just ruin his career.  Not sure Bellator would give him such a limited contract either because what if he wins the title?

Either way, its disappointing this mess happened as Alvarez was basically unable to fight for over a year because of it.  

In other Bellator news, the last few episodes of FIGHT MASTER are being moved to Thursday post-TNA.  That is where it should have been from the start, but the geniuses at Spike felt it could stand on its own.

Ratings so low they have to move it off Prime time after a wrestling promotion that's already treading water doesn't sound very good for that show's future.

The male cast half of TUF 19 has been revealed.  Nope, don't know a single one outside of Cody Bollinger.

Male Bantamweight Fighters

Christopher Beal (7-0), 28, Somis, Calif.
Cody Bollinger (14-3), 22, Rancho Cucamonga, Calif.
Louis Fisette (6-1), 23, Winnipeg, CAN
Rafael Freitas (6-0-1), 29, Albuquerque, N.M.
David Grant (8-1), 27, Bishop Auckland, ENG
Tim Gorman (9-2), 30, West Des Moines, Iowa
Anthony Gutierrez (4-0), 22, Lee’s Summit, Mo.
Emil Hartsner (4-0), 23, Luberod, SWE
Joshua Hill (9-0), 26, Binbrook, CAN
Chris Holdsworth (4-0), 25, Woodland Hills, Calif.
Patrick Holohan (9-0-1), 25, Dublin, IRL
Sirwan Kakai (9-1), 23, Coconut Creek, Fla.
Daniel Martinez (18-4), 28, San Diego, Calif.
Matthew Munsey (4-1), 26, Hollywood, Fla.
Lee Sandmeier (9-0), 30, Knoxville, Iowa
Michael Wootten (6-0), 24, Liverpool, ENG