DVDVR Message Board

MMA Talk.

The Natural

So Cormier will hold Hendo against the cage for fifteen minutes then.

I was about to post the TL;DR version of this, but I thought I was being too contrarian. I see people all over Twitter saying Cormier is going to smash him, but the one thing I give Shogun over Cormier is that Mauricio is a more dynamic finisher. The reason for that is he is willing to completely sell out for a knockout or submission. That has been his MO for his entire career. This guy use to roll for kneebars and leglocks without hardly any setup at all.

When I thought there was a possibility of this fight in Strikeforce at HW, I saw it as a tepid 30-27 Cormier win. There has been little that has happened since then to change my mind. If you think Cormier is going to fight Henderson like he did Cummins, apparently you haven't seen the rest of Cormier's UFC run.

• Like 2

Yep.  I think it's bad for Hendo because like was mentioned earlier he had a chance to go out on top in some way if he left now.  I don't see Cormier knocking him out but I do see him making Hendo look terrible for an entire fight.  Hendo is still strong but he's not fast by any means.  If Cormier decides to utilize his wrestling ability there's really nothing Dan can do about it.  Jake Shields controlled him for an entire fight save for a few minutes in the first round.  Cormier will do the same.   

Guest Edwin

Guessing they're giving Ill Will a gimmie fight with hopes of a quick and ugly stoppage to build him up as a new future star possibly. It's the only logical thing to me.

Bellator imploded at the weigh ins today with two tournament fights cancelled.  Andrey Koreshkov vs. Sam Oropeza was cancelled due to Koreshkov having the flu; Jeremy Kimball vs. Dan Cramer was cancelled because Kimball missed weight bad.

Jake Shields has just joined the Fitch and Okami club.

Well isn't this a matter of his contract was up and they chose not to renew?

Honestly good riddance.  I don't hate Shields or anything but he's a one dimensional fighter and he continued to be a one dimensional fighter in the UFC.  Now don't get me wrong, he beat some talented dudes.  And he was so good at that one thing he was able to beat a lot of people, but when he runs into guys that are better at that one thing or more well rounded, he gets embarrassed.  He's never going to get any better.  Fighters don't really change or evolve at this point in their careers.  He got his chance against GSP and looked like utter dog shit.

UFC is heading to Auckland, New Zealand on June 28 with an event headlined by James Te-Huna vs. Nate Marquardt, the fight will be a Middleweight bout.

What did Auckland do to deserve that?

• Like 1

Jake Shields has just joined the Fitch and Okami club.

Well isn't this a matter of his contract was up and they chose not to renew?

According to folks, he still had one fight left.  His manager said they had no idea this would happen.

As expected, they pulled a fast one on Wanderlei and his match against Sonnen is now expected to be on UFC 175. The new main event for the Brazil show is JDS vs. Stipe Miocic, so UFC 173 takes another hit.

As expected, they pulled a fast one on Wanderlei and his match against Sonnen is now expected to be on UFC 175. The new main event for the Brazil show is JDS vs. Stipe Miocic, so UFC 173 takes another hit.

Dana (on Friday IIRC) said they were still moving stuff around.

Personally, I would kept Wanderlei vs. Sonnen in Sao Paulo. Even if they probably were scared of Sonnen winning, they're broadcasting TUF in Brazil on Globo. Why have the show on a top network in Brazil (Fight Pass in the U.S.) and then have the fight in the U.S.? IMO, the Brazil show is taking a bigger hit than 173. UFC 173 wasn't going to sell tickets anyway while the Brazilian fans would paid to see Wanderlei vs. Sonnen. With 175, it helps that they have two events that week along with the expo. I would've moved Wanderlei vs. Sonnen to 173 if JDS vs. Miocic HAD to be the main event in Brazil.