DVDVR Message Board

MMA Talk.

The Natural

pretty much Sonnen is their leading candidate for every fight at this point. he's more marketable than the other 95% of the roster combined.

Except for the fact that he doesn't really bring the ratings like Dana and Meltzer wish he did.

He brings higher ratings than most others in the organization.

It would be a way to get around the TRT issue, since neither of them would get the exemption.

Sonnen gets approved for TRT every fight.  He's approved for it for his upcoming fight with Shogun. 

On Vitor, I think people really are jumping the gun on him fighting in Brazil and never in the states again.  You take Kizer saying he didn't think they'd be able to grant Vitor a TUE in Nevada or him having a hard time getting a TUE and went a step further to he'll never fight in the states again.  I don't think that's necessarily the case.  I don't know that it would be easy for him but I don't take that as "never".  Nate Marquardt tested positive for steroids in the past as well and eventually went on to get approval for TRT and even after that when he had approval for TRT he tested higher than the limit and still got approval for TRT again after that. 

I can't imagine those two are that tight.  I'd love to see Rashad do the stanky leg again. 

If I'm not mistaken, the only official Blackzilians coach that trains Vitor is Pedro Diaz. I think his other trainers are his Brazilian homeboys he brings to every gym because he doesn't like paying gym fees.

What's crazy is that not only is Vitor still around and fighting and relevant, but he's one of the best MW's in the world and he was there in the early days of the UFC.  He fought fucking Tank Abbott and Scott Ferrozo and he's still around today.  The only other guy I can think of that's still around and semi-relevant is Dan Henderson.  

http://deadspin.com/in-lieu-of-ufc-highlights-embarrassing-videos-of-a-ufc-1015341046

I normally like Deadspin, but this is one of the most butthurt, crybaby reactions to the UFC ever. He practically channeled John McCain and every uninformed boxing reporter that wrote stories about the UFC when it started booming. Just pathetic.

Yeah, I saw Marchman bitching on Twitter. Grantland and Deadspin waste too much money (by too much, I mean anything over $5) on people writing 2-4 shitty paragraphs. This is a good example.

What's crazy is that not only is Vitor still around and fighting and relevant, but he's one of the best MW's in the world and he was there in the early days of the UFC.  He fought fucking Tank Abbott and Scott Ferrozo and he's still around today.  The only other guy I can think of that's still around and semi-relevant is Dan Henderson.  

Josh Barnett could go on that list, maybe.

WORLD SERIES OF FIGHTING is having their fourth show this weekend.  Yes, it appears Elsalvajeloco's prayers for Ray Sefo vs. Dave Huckaba have been answered.

Main Bouts (on NBC Sports Network):
-Tyrone Spong (1-0) vs. Angel DeAnda (11-2)
-Marlon Moraes (10-4) vs. Brandon Hempleman (9-1)
-Ray Sefo (2-1) vs. Dave Huckaba (20-5)
-Tyson Griffin (16-6) vs. JZ Cavalcante (17-7-1)
-Nick Newell (9-0) vs. Keon Caldwell (9-1)

Preliminary Bouts (on WSOF.com):
-Jorge Santiago (25-11) vs. Gerald Harris (21-5)
-Antonio McKee (28-5-2) vs. Lewis Gonzalez (8-0)
-Lew Polley (12-4) vs. Hans Stringer (21-5-2)
-Joe Murphy (6-1) vs. John Robles (7-1)
-Isaac Gutierrez (5-3) vs. Victor Valenzuela (12-6-2)

Barnett's last top ten win was in December 2006.  You're not relevant when you're dusting off Brett Rogers and Nandor Guelmino.

That's an interesting point of view especially considering you rank Hector Lombard among the top ten MW's when he hasn't ever had a single win over a top ten fighter in his career.  

The guy is relevant.  He fought in the Strikeforce HW grand prix and went to the finals where he lost a decision to Cormier.  He can't help how the bracket fell.  

If there is any division in MMA where someone can make an immediate impact in one fight, it's the heavyweight division. Fedor Emelianenko hasn't had a quality win in four and a half years and could be a top 5 fighter if he unretired and signed with the UFC tomorrow. 

I live in SoCal. I live less than 10 miles from the venue. It's not remotely on the radar. It's also in a lousy venue which they'll likely claim is L.A. like when TNA came to friggin' Irvine.