DVDVR Message Board

[MOVIE] MAY 2016 MOVIE DISCUSSION

RIPPA

1 hour ago, Tabe said:

I hated that movie. It was waaaaaaaaay too crude for the way it was marketed and not nearly funny enough. I was really disappointed - I had pretty high expectations. 

I'll give you the poorly marketed angle, despite liking most of Will Ferrell's output, I basically avoided this because it was advertised/billed as a Family Friendly comedy, and it was much more crude than I was expecting.  I like the more crude Ferrell, in all honesty, but I like it when they go full-on foul-mothed Ferrell or family-Ferrell, none of this half-assing it.

Random thought: But how much did Mark Hamill improve as an actor over the years, though? 

He was kinda wooden and stiff in Star Wars, got way better come TESB and ROTJ and come the end of The Force Awakens the dude is basically stealing the show with one jaded, unhappy, stoic, haunted look.

His voice over work has been spectacular too. 

I watched Splice earlier. It's kind of a road to hell being paved by good intentions story, like a compassionate scientists trying very hard to not be mad scientists (and failing at every turn) deal. Good monster design too. Get's a bit twisty towards the end though. Sudden shift of pace when it decides it wants to have a horror/ action movie climax even though it had been more building to an emotional (rather than physical) climax. It's good though.

I watched Oblivion a bit ago. It wasn't very good at all. I think if this had never come out, Edge Live of Die Tomorrow Repeat might not have done so badly business-wise, because people had already seen a Tom Cruise Sci-fi movie where his love interest is a British actress young enough to be his daughter and it was boring. It was one of those films that is both original and good, but the parts that are good aren't original, and the parts that are original aren't good. And I'm not sure it actually made sense in terms of it's own internal logic either, but it's not interesting enough to waste energy thinking about, so never mind.

On ‎5‎/‎15‎/‎2016 at 10:42 PM, Niners Fan in CT said:

Does any movie in recent history have a better soundtrack than Drive?  Now some car commercial is using "Real Human Being"  and it's stuck in my head all over again.

Soundtracks:

Purple Rain

Trainspotting

The Crow

8-Mile

Grosse Point Blank

Menace 2 Society

Sid & Nancy

New Jack City

Judgment Night

Original Soundtracks:

Any orchestra conducted by John Williams

Any orchestra conducted by Hans Zimmer

Any orchestra conducted by Danny Elfman

Nah, he was right, though all the cited soundtrack are aces too. I'm biased though, because I listen to Kavinsky and College in my day to day life and Cliff Martinez is my favourite film (and television, his work on The Knick is amazing) scorer.

I find that weird, because isn't Encore older than Starz? Shouldn't it be the other way around then? Guess it depends on who bought who.

And yeah I dig the Drive soundtrack. That new Maniac soundtrack was pretty great too in the icy '80s synth mode.

20 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Okay let me rephrase. Does anyone else love the Drive soundtrack? 

Yes, I love the Drive soundtrack.  It is the fucking bomb. 

On ‎5‎/‎15‎/‎2016 at 10:42 PM, Niners Fan in CT said:

Does any movie in recent history have a better soundtrack than Drive? 

TRON: Legacy maybe, but only because I am partial to Daft Punk's beats.

• Like 1