DVDVR Message Board

[MOVIE] MAY 2016 MOVIE DISCUSSION

RIPPA

I liked  American Hustle, but then I'm a sucker for history type movies. Didn't even finish Silver Linings, I hated it so much. Haven't seen Now you see me, but i really do not like Jesse Eisenberg. . .

The worst thing about Now You See Me is it's a movie with Jesse Eisenberg and Woody Harrelson and it's not Zombieland 2. Oh, and it's a twist movie, but much like The Prestige (another magic-themed movie with Michael Caine), it spells that out in the first scene.

I enjoyed I Heart Huckabees a lot when I was in high school and super, super high. It would probably be a bummer now. It's hard to believe the dude built a pretty prestigious career on Spanking the Monkey. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AxB said:

The worst thing about Now You See Me is it's a movie with Jesse Eisenberg and Woody Harrelson and it's not Zombieland 2. Oh, and it's a twist movie, but much like The Prestige (another magic-themed movie with Michael Caine), it spells that out in the first scene.

It's a heist/con film with magicians. If course there's a twist.

It's a perfectly mediocre pleasant distraction. Ocean's 11 with magic tricks (okay, probably more Ocean's 13, it's nowhere near good enough to be 11)

Just watched "Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story" for the first time since it was in theaters. That movie is so, so, so, so great. It's one of the funniest movies I can remember watching. It's so slept on. I don't think I've ever actually talked with anyone other than my wife about what an amazing movie it is. John C. Reilly deserved every award.

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, Greggulator said:

Just watched "Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story" for the first time since it was in theaters. That movie is so, so, so, so great. It's one of the funniest movies I can remember watching. It's so slept on. I don't think I've ever actually talked with anyone other than my wife about what an amazing movie it is. John C. Reilly deserved every award.

The Beatles stuff always kills me, so fucking funny.

• Like 1

The Revenant was... okay. 

Spoiler

Beautifully filmed, amazing vistas all over the place, solid acting (with Tom Hardy doing his best impersonation of Sgt. Barnes/Tom Berenger in Platoon). But why DiCaprio didn't die of hypothermia about a dozen times, or at least lose limbs due to frostbite, is beyond me. Along with a whole lot of his other happenstance resurrections. I can buy that shit in First Blood when it's a Green Beret in Washington in modern times, not so much when it's a fur trapper in pre-industrial Montana/South Dakota. And that look at the camera at the end made me love the fact that DiCaprio vomited bear liver or whatever making it because that's what I wanted to do when he did that.

All that aside, clearly a film that should be seen in a theater, and the denouement (despite my complaints) was pretty good.

• RIPPA locked and unpinned this topic