DVDVR Message Board

[MOVIE] MAY 2016 MOVIE DISCUSSION

RIPPA

17 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

I find that weird, because isn't Encore older than Starz? Shouldn't it be the other way around then? Guess it depends on who bought who.

The were sister networks under the same umbrella but it is clear they thing Starz is the more recognizable brand

Starz announced that Encore channels will now be billed as Starz Encore channels, brought under the overall Starz umbrella. The most demonstrable change to viewers is that this rebranding also gives Encore subscribers access to Starz original series, including Outlander, Power, and Black Sails.

I am happy about this because I might check those shows out now.

I still find it weird that Comcast gives us Encore as part of the normal package and not as a part of the Starz package (since I don't pay for any movie channels anymore)

4 hours ago, J.T. said:

Yes, I love the Drive soundtrack.  It is the fucking bomb. 

TRON: Legacy maybe, but only because I am partial to Daft Punk's beats.

How do you feel about the Legacy R3C0NF1GUR3D album?

On ‎5‎/‎17‎/‎2016 at 11:53 AM, Curt McGirt said:

I just checked and we don't get the Starz package either -- we cut our movie channel package which nixed HBO, Cinemax, Showtime, Starz but left Encore, TMC, Sundance and IMC. It's weird. 

All of those channels have always been on the basic tier.  IFC, Sundance, and Turner have ads, so there is no reason to have them as pay channels.  Encore I figure was part of the agreement with cable companies to give content in return for promotion of their pay channels or something.  Encore is all older movies so it can't cost that much.  We have Charter and also get Retroplex and a couple of other movie channels on the basic tier.

It isn't pure old movies - as about once a month there is a "newer" releases.

Like that is where I first saw Captain America: Winter Soldier and Guardians of the Galaxy and both of those were within 6-8 months of being in the theater

And it just debuted Ant-Man and Inside Out

I haven't seen Lethal Weapon 3 in almost 20 years, so imagine my surprise when I just watched it and it's terrible. Like, one of the most insane big studio pictures ever made. It's the real life Jack Slater movie from Last Action Hero. 

It's kinda cheating to include jukebox soundtracks like Awesome Mix in the same discussion with original compositions like Tron: Legacy.  Two completely different things.  

And if you think Lethal Weapon 3 is mighty stupid... well, have you ever seen part 4?  Even as a 17-year-old, I damn near choked on my popcorn when the reflecting-laser gag happened.  

I remember enjoying the theater experience for that but when I was a kid I was a huge fucking action-adventure junkie and it saddens me that the genre has pretty much died out. I'd be about seven years old thinking Under Siege is the greatest movie ever.

I no longer think Under Siege is the greatest movie ever.  But it's definitely top 10.  ;)

• Like 1

Under Siege's awesomeness is directly proportionate to the amount that you're able to ignore just how blatantly they're ripping off Die Hard, which does all the exact same stuff but does it all better.  Of course, it is the BEST of all the Die Hard ripoffs which flooded the cinema for about a decade, so at least there's that.  

Action films aren't COMPLETELY dead, though: check out Turbo Kid, which I just saw today, and can be succinctly described as "Robert Rodriguez directs Cormac McCarthy's script of Kick-Ass Beyond Thunderdome... music by John Carpenter, makeup by Tom Savini".  It's like the greatest movie that Golan-Globus ever made, right down to having no less than Michael Ironside as the villain.  And it's also got probably the funniest, least forgiving take on the Manic Pixie Dream Girl stereotype (although I'd argue that what they eventually did with that character felt rather pointlessly cruel and nihilistic for such a goofy flick).  

• Like 3

The Nice Guys is a great time at the movies. Gosling's performance is basically Jim Rockford by way of Lou Costello, and it's priceless. Plus, Russel Crowe throws down with Keith David! 

• Like 2

So somehow in my mind, American Hustle and Now You See Me had merged into being the same film (because I'd not seen either of them). But it turns out that they're completely different. Oh, and the one that's supposed to be really good is actually rubbish, while the rubbish one is actually pretty good.

Why does David O Russell keep getting to direct movies? He's really not very good at it. I can see how actors like him, because he lets them improvise and create their own characters and so on... but between American Hustle and Silver Linings Playbook, he's gotten great casts together and wasted them on a boring story about terrible people. He needs to have more discipline in the editing or something, because it's just an overblown mess. Also, why does he have Jennifer Lawrence playing characters ten years older than her actual age every time? Does he think there are no talented actresses in their mid 30s?

9 hours ago, AxB said:

Also, why does he have Jennifer Lawrence playing characters ten years older than her actual age every time? Does he think there are no talented actresses in their mid 30s?

No

Though to be fair, I would say that this is a Hollywood problem and not one specifically with Russell