DVDVR Message Board

[TV] MAY 2016 TV DISCUSSION

RIPPA

On ‎5‎/‎21‎/‎2016 at 8:47 AM, RIPPA said:

Of course - all I can focus on is the dude diving through a window to catch a falling baby...

Denzel getting an Oscar for being a bad guy traumatized so many people that they made the rogue detective white and the rookie a black guy?

Bill Paxton being awesome may overcome this show not having Eva Mendes naked in it, but can it overcome this?

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

I did watch the McGoohan ep where hes the military school commander, for which he won an Emmy. I would presume thats a top ten episode, along with the aforementioned Jack Cassidy episode and of course the Johnny Cash one.

itried to watch the one set in London with Honor Blackman and Richard Basehart, but Columbo in England was just weird. 

If you look closely in the Basehart one you will see Arthur Malet, the graveyard keeper from HALLOWEEN.

On my list of favorite Columbos

Catch Me if you Can with Ruth Gordon as the most likable killer on the show

Suitable for Framing with Falk's acting coach Ross Martin with maybe the best final trap

Etude in Black with Falk's old pal John Cassavetes who is just pure arrogance and charisma

Any Old Port in a Storm with Donald Plesance who is a very sympathetic killer

An Exercise in Fatality with Robert Conrad as a supreme douche (one of the few where Columbo shows his temper)

A Stitch in Crime with Leonard Nimoy (another one where he gets angry)

Fade In to Murder with Shatner is a great one where he actively sympathizes with the Killer and Shatner is a 9/10 on the Shatner scale

Forgotten Lady with Janet Leigh is the saddest of them all

The Greenhouse Jungle just to watch Ray Milland be droll as all fuck

Any of the Robert Culps: Death Lends a Hand, Double Exposure, The Most Crucial game

Any of the Jack Cassidy's but especially Now You See Him where he plays a magician.

God there are so many. Just watch them straight through, man.

The Americans will have a 13 episode 5th season in 2017.

It will then have a 10 episode 6th season in 2018 which will be its final season

7 hours ago, Matt D said:

Limitless is down. Only CBS drama that I've ever cared about. That channel is the worst.

Eh, I can understand CBS' decision.  Limitless had a great time slot (NCIS and NCIS: New Orleans) and delivered very average ratings.  Over the 2nd half of the season, it was watched by roughly half the number of people that watched NCIS: NO.  It's viewership over the 2nd half of the season was about 60% of viewership during the first half.

CBS is fairly strong right now. They can afford to shed the marginal performers.  The last several eps drew about 6 million viewers on a night when the first two hours of CBS primetime draw 13-15 mil.  If they did renew it, it would end moved to a weaker night and ratings would be even weaker.

I thought for a second NCIS: New Orleans couldn't really be a show, then I remembered it was and it had Scott Bakula. Then I got mad all over again that in an age where everything is brought back I can't get more gosh darn Quantum Leap. 

• Like 1

Man, I watched the final season of Getting On and it's so friggin good.  I legitimately laughed out loud at least 4-5 times over the last two episodes.  Everyone plays their roles so perfect, and Niecy Nash and Laurie Metcalf are on another level entirely.  If one of them doesn't win an Emmy this year, I'll be so bummed.  Metcalfe's performance is so amazing: a completely unlikable woman who gradually wins you over with just how out-of-touch she is.

Watching AMC, I always see commercials for "Turn" and "Hell on Wheels" despite having never met anyone who watches these shows and never reading about any sort of critical acclaim.  How are these programs still on?  Are they part of some elaborate tax dodge scheme?

We love Hell on Wheels. It's not perfect and it jettisoned some key characters too early, but it's a lot of fun, and the main character is a great combination of badass and horribly put-upon sad sack. 

• Like 2

is The Night Of on HBO just another version of True Detective? I guess it's an American version of a British show, where each season follows a different crime or something? The teasers intrigue me, and it's doing a good job of not giving me any information about this new show so now I kind of have to check it out because I'm curious.

And speaking of HBO... I want the new season of Ballers like, right now. But, more importantly... WHEN IS THE LAST SEASON OF LEFTOVERS STARTING???

On May 24, 2016 at 2:23 PM, piranesi said:

If you look closely in the Basehart one you will see Arthur Malet, the graveyard keeper from HALLOWEEN.

On my list of favorite Columbos

Catch Me if you Can with Ruth Gordon as the most likable killer on the show

Suitable for Framing with Falk's acting coach Ross Martin with maybe the best final trap

Etude in Black with Falk's old pal John Cassavetes who is just pure arrogance and charisma

Any Old Port in a Storm with Donald Plesance who is a very sympathetic killer

An Exercise in Fatality with Robert Conrad as a supreme douche (one of the few where Columbo shows his temper)

A Stitch in Crime with Leonard Nimoy (another one where he gets angry)

Fade In to Murder with Shatner is a great one where he actively sympathizes with the Killer and Shatner is a 9/10 on the Shatner scale

Forgotten Lady with Janet Leigh is the saddest of them all

The Greenhouse Jungle just to watch Ray Milland be droll as all fuck

Any of the Robert Culps: Death Lends a Hand, Double Exposure, The Most Crucial game

Any of the Jack Cassidy's but especially Now You See Him where he plays a magician.

God there are so many. Just watch them straight through, man.

I just found there's a Columbo podcast that reviews every episode using the tried and true expert/novice pod format. 

www.columbopodcast.com

Like all Americans, I'm using this long holiday weekend to work through my TV backlog, and I finally caught up on season 2 of HALT AND CATCH FIRE.  And it was GREAT.  Apparently 2015 was the year of kickass sophomore seasons, as this, FARGO, and THE LEFTOVERS just ruled everything.

I loved how much they were able to improve the show simply by shifting the roles around a little bit.  Donna being the Clark spouse working on a cutting edge product while Gordon has to figure out how he fits into HER life for a change was such a smart move (although if there was a lowpoint to the season, it was Gordon's latter episode mental breakdown, which was agonizing to sit through sometimes).

What I loved most of all was how much drama they conjured up out of everyone (rightfully) not trusting anything Joe says or does after what happened last season, even though we the audience can see that he really IS trying to do right by everyone for a change.  And then it gets paid off beautifully at the end when...

Cameron and Donna fuck HIM over by giving him the Sonoris virus under false pretenses and destroy Westnet, which pushes Joe back to the dark side for next season.

Can't wait for season 3 this summer!

• RIPPA locked and unpinned this topic