DVDVR Message Board

[TV] MAY 2016 TV DISCUSSION

RIPPA

55 minutes ago, Randy said:

What was the point of the last ten years of The Simpsons?   It was awkward and unfunny.

ftfy.

• Like 1

On 5/13/2016 at 8:07 PM, RIPPA said:

The axe is coming for shows

Amongst the stuff officially cancelled today

Castle

Nashville

The Muppets

Agent Carter (I am sure that is in the comic book folder)

The Family

Galavant

Nashville was a guilty pleasure of mine...I don't even like country music and I have no idea if the main character was supposed to be sympathetic, because, as written, she was a horrible person.  But it was definitely falling off a cliff and I won't exactly be sad to see it go.

The Once Upon A Time season finale two parter was fucking dope.  The introduction of Mr. Hyde and all of the other possible stories, Paul Bunyon, Don Quixote, Gulliver, the Three Musketeers , etc had me geeking out. 

Holy Tacked On Endings, Castle.

You all didn't think you'd get cancelled, but you filmed those last 60 seconds in some alternate studio just to cover your bases, didn't you?

16 hours ago, ChesterCopperpot said:

Yess

I still miss Shayla and her cowgirl waitress outfit.  :(

The absence of any footage of White Rose is disconcerting.

I'm assuming the new cast members are FBI agents or sinister MIB types.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, zev said:

Holy Tacked On Endings, Castle.

You all didn't think you'd get cancelled, but you filmed those last 60 seconds in some alternate studio just to cover your bases, didn't you?

Yeah, they filmed two endings.  The other ending was some wacky cliffhanger presumably designed to write out Beckett since Stana Katic wouldn't have returned if the show had been renewed.  No idea how they would pull that one off.  They'd already run far too many goofy angles to keep Beckett and Castle temporarily apart (amnesia, black ops threat, F BI job, etc.) and killing Beckett seems way off tonally for this show. 

Then again, it seems like they forgot what made the show work quite a while ago.  I thought the finale was awful.  The show worked best when it was a Moonlighting-style light procedural with a lot of sarcastic banter and two characters who didn't quite like each other.  The show worked least when they got caught up in this wacky far-reaching conspiracy angle against LokSat and his merc army.  The gun battle at the beginning just made me roll my eyes.  Of course, i think gun-toting PI Rick Castle was a bad idea in general that robbed the character of a lot of his charm.

It didn't help that Castle and Beckett seemed like they had less chemistry together late in the show's run.  Having two leads who supposedly hate each other will do that, I guess.

I would have preferred to see them just investigate a murder last night.

• Like 1

I might restart The Wire thread if you guys are gonna keep talking about it.

Also - we have a Mr. Robot thread around here somewhere that I probably should find for folks.

• Like 1

I debated which thread to put this in but I will stick it here

I don't have high hopes. But hey - Zack Morris collects another paycheck

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

I debated which thread to put this in but I will stick it here

I don't have high hopes. But hey - Zack Morris collects another paycheck

Unless you have a purple headed cylops for a pitcher beaning everyone, no buys. . . .

Well, it's a nice idea..

But asshole former closer is almost right.  There's a 50/50 shot of the entire league figuring out the movement and timing of the screwball and turning her appearances into batting practice.  But being a FOX show, it's more likely to turn into Rivera's Cutter and be damn near impossible to hit her entire career.

Course, that is forgetting how much throwing a screwball destroys a pitcher's arm and hence why no one throws it anymore.

filmmaker Kevin Smith has revealed that he will be taking the plunge into television full time by announcing he’s developing a television version of the cult classic film The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the 8th Dimension. Smith revealed on his Hollywood Babble-On podcast (via EW) that following his episode of The CW series, he’s set up three different projects, one of them being an adaptation of the MGM film.
In describing the potential series, Smith said: “Basically, you just do the entire movie for season one, and then season two you finally do the sequel we’ve all dreamed about,: Buckaroo Banzai Versus the World Crime League.”

Smith confirmed that he’s closed his deal to develop the series and that they’ll be taking the project to networks within the next month to find a home for it. He also revealed that he’d reach out to the film’s original writer Earl Mac Rauch to help with the series and that he’d like to cast (Peter) Weller as the unseen villain Hanoi Xan, who he describes as “The Joker” to Buckaroo Banzai’s Batman.

I see in one of the new shows for the Fall - Kiefer Sutherland is playing a cabinet member who becomes President because everyone else is killed

They are calling it Designated Survivor

I guess this is his way of playing Jack Bauer without being Jack Bauer

Well, it's being done by someone who may possibly "get it", so it's possible not to hate it, but the original is much beloved by it's fans, so yeah.

I have been wanting to see Buckaroo fight the World Crime League since the ending credits rolled when I first saw the movie in its original theatrical run. I've actually had recent conversations with people about which original cast members were around and could maybe reprise their roles.

But Kevin Smith...no. Go ahead and count me in as one of the folks who doesn't see how he would work.

And what's this I'm reading? It wouldn't be till the second season of a series...and it would just be Gotham Lite? So what happens if it gets canceled after season one? You still get no WCL.

I was kinda okay with it and basically willing to comically ignore all the time travel issues but then that bad CGI at the very end of the video made me sad

I am already not pleased but that video was about 10 seconds away from me flipping tables. It's a good thing they showed the mom still being alive