DVDVR Message Board

[TV] MAY 2016 TV DISCUSSION

RIPPA

The axe is coming for shows

Amongst the stuff officially cancelled today

Castle

Nashville

The Muppets

Agent Carter (I am sure that is in the comic book folder)

The Family

Galavant

That's a huge shame about the Muppets. I actually liked the first season a lot and despite all the criticism it received I didn't think it would be cancelled so soon.

Don't care about Agent Carter. It wasn't quite as godawful as Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., but I can do very well without it.

Haven't watched any of the other shows.

No one was going to watch Castle without Kate to be there as Frank's moral compass and sounding board.

I'm happy that CSI: Cyber got cancelled.  I'm usually very tolerant of the computers = magic stuff on television and movies, but a lot of the shit on that show was fucking ridiculous. 

Hayley Kiyoko is usually the kiss of death for a lot of stuff, but that show was perfectly awful even before she got put on the cast.

We'll try it again over the summer. We didn't really make it to the establishment of the status quo first time through. We got sick of people floating around and didn't stick with it (despite watching just about every other Syfy show out there from Defiance to Magicians to Killjoys to Dark Matter). Enough of you like it enough that I'll force it through for a second shot.

They are really pimping the season finale of Hawaii Five-0 today on the CBS affiliate.  I don't think I've watched it regularly since they killed off the new Wo Fat.

I'm surprised it got renewed for another season.

000226023-the-rocky-horror-picture-show_

EW has a few photos from the Rocky Horror Picture 2 Hour special they are doing. That is the main one going around and I know how to generate hits.

The cast summary

Laverne Cox as Dr. Frank-N-Furter leads a cast that also includes Victoria Justice (Janet, “Victorious”), Ryan McCartan (Brad, “Liv & Maddie,” “Heathers: the Musical”), Adam Lambert (Eddie, “Glee”), Reeve Carney (Riff Raff, “Penny Dreadful,” “Spider-Man: Turn Off the Dark”), Staz Nair (Rocky, “Game of Thrones”), Annaleigh Ashford (“Sylvia,” “You Can’t Take It With You,” “Masters of Sex”), Christina Milian (Magenta, “Grandfathered”) and Tim Curry, the original Frank-N-Furter, who returns as the show’s Criminologist Narrator.

5 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Also cancelled yesterday

The Grinder

Grandfathered

Bordertown

Son of a bitch. I really liked The Grinder and Grandfathered. Thought Rob Lowe & Fred Savage played off each other really well.

Thrasher's King of the Road competition is airing on Viceland. If you miss Jackass, give it a whirl; some really gnarly skate tricks and of course people doing stupid stuff, like pissing their pants in a Walmart, stripping down and checking into a hotel only wearing stickers over your naughty bits, etc. Fucking skaters. They're all the same.

3 hours ago, Dewar said:

Son of a bitch. I really liked The Grinder and Grandfathered. Thought Rob Lowe & Fred Savage played off each other really well.

I wasn't a regular viewer, but every time I watched THE GRINDER, I thought it was really funny.

More cancellations

Undateable (NBC), Game of Silence (NBC), Telenovela (NBC), Crowded (NBC), Heartbeat (NBC), Second Chance (FOX)

Also I don't know when it happened but Person of Interest was cancelled

Was reading some things online about the Castle cancellation, specifically how much drama there was backstage between Stanya Katic and Nathan Fillion.  There have been rumors they didn't get along off-screen for years, and most of the stuff being said now is rumor, but, wow, a lot of it makes it sound like Fillion is a giant dick who was awful to her.

Wasn't Jack on Lost originally supposed to die in the pilot episode, and be played by Michael Keaton? Perhaps they didn't have his character figured out when they decided to make him a lead.

On 11.5.2016 at 4:48 AM, ivpvideos said:

(...)

Anyone watch Quantico? It is the worst show that I feel forced to keep watching just to see how many ridiculous twists and turns they are going to fit in

I watch it as well. What's worse than the show feeling like a Russo-nightmare (dream?) is that the characters seem to live in both time-layers (I could not think of a better term) in parallel without knowing what happened in between. Therefore the alliances are shifting in a non-sensical (I am currently catching up and was watching a show where Ryan started out as the bad guy both in the "6 months ago" layer and in the present layer and ended up as a good guy in boths).