DVDVR Message Board

MAY 2016 NXT GENERAL DISCUSSION

RIPPA

Is anyone else just not feeling No Way Jose? He has pieces of like three different characters, and while all the pieces are good, I don't think they go together very well.

There's the theme music, which is very club/dancey, but he does almost mambo steps in the ring. WHY is he dancing so much?

His presentation is built around his heritage, but No Way Jose is sort of a generic moniker that plays on a stereotype at worst and is a dated turn of phrase at best. WHY is this his name? 

I like the baseball stuff, but combined with the dancing it feels like an afterthought. His windup punch should be his finish, not that cobra clutch slam.

I also don't like his gear. He's a handsome big dude, but he looks like he's just wresting in inside out windbreakers or scrub pants.

I am sure he will grow into the role as they figure out what works, but for the moment it seems like they took a bunch of ideas they thought would get over and forgot to have a cohesive character base to contextualize it all.

• Like 1

I actually thought that Nia's offense looked way better tonight. It helped that Asuka is really good at selling physically. When Nia shoved her, Asuka stumbled backward and flung herself around in an out-of-control way and really sold Nia's power.

The show was mostly a typical house show with a very good tag match between American Alpha and The Revival and a solid Finn/Joe main event. Bayley is magnetic live, just a tremendous babyface. It was really nice to see so many of these people live for the first time, and Nakamura's entrance live is must-see in particular. 

The only thing bad about it was the awful audience who shat on Tino Sabbatelli and Tucker Knight because Tino is green (not terrible or anything, just green) and who in general had the worst aspects of Full Sail crowds (the dipshit chanting, the attempts at cleverness) without any of the best aspects of those crowds (more patience with newer acts). I was sitting in front of three or four dumbshit smark types who were the absolute worst and thought that doing things like yelling "Minnesota Wrecking Crew!" over and over at The Revival was clever. Fuck those assholes. 

Oh, and The Drifter draws mega-heat as a heel and I hope he wins the NXT Championship at some point. Though I thought that a guy who is ostensibly a Steelers fan complaining about Seattle football fans being terrible was a bridge too far. I'll take the criticism from most fans, but not Steeler, 49er, or Patriot fans, not even if it's strictly kayfabe. No sir. 

Nia looks so tentative with any move that doesn't involve her falling. I think she's afraid of hurting people and whenever she can just think less and just act she does OK.
The crowd was definitely too clever for its own good at a lot of points.
Tino Sabbatelli should not be working face though. There's not a single likable thing about him.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Smelly McUgly said:

Dawson just did the Arn Anderson fake punch/DDT spot and now may be my favorite wrestler.

Dude, I was talking about that exact spot on the (long) drive down to Seattle. I was the person who squealed like a girl in the audience when that went down.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Oyaji said:

Dude, I was talking about that exact spot on the (long) drive down to Seattle. I was the person who squealed like a girl in the audience when that went down.

I actually heard you! Sadly, the crowd in general sort of missed it in the sea of awesome spots that the teams were running through at the end. I didn't think Wilder crawling under the ring to prevent the tag got the response that it deserved either. 

Hah, rad! You know, I missed the under the under the ring spot entirely. I guess I was completely focused elsewhere. That match was damn good though. Basically the Takeover match without the botches. 

My main criticism of the show is too many rest holds. Not every match needs a 2 minute chinlock, particularly when the crowd was not into them to begin with. Matches generally felt stripped down from the TV equivalents, which is to be expected. Oh, and booking two Oregon guys in Washington without a clear face/heel dynamic. That was rough. The Jax/Asuka match needs a lot of work before it's ready for the network too.

Fun show despite all that. Nakamura's entrance alone was worth it. Electric. Joe is love. Joe is life.

If you saw someone stand in the front and mark like a motherfucker on the Dawson spinebuster, that was me.  Jebus, that tag title match was sick.

Other than Tucker Knight vs. Tino (which should be in Florida right now, not Seattle) it was a great show.  The Paramount was an awesome building, fantastic atmosphere.  And I got a Bayley shirt and headband.

Well Knight is from Oregon (which you probably know) so that is why he is on the PNW loop.

Of course - since it is home town tour, they had him lose

4 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Well Knight is from Oregon (which you probably know) so that is why he is on the PNW loop.

Of course - since it is home town tour, they had him lose

Seattle doesn't like Oregon.  Knight was the heel in the match (which made even less sense since Tino is completely unlikable in-ring, but hey).

It was honestly the only match the crowd didn't like, and believe me, they let them know it.  Nothing really BAD, just not to the level of even the Jose vs. Murphy match, which had Randy Orton-level chinlocks from Murphy.

16 hours ago, Stevie Ray Von Erich said:

Is anyone else just not feeling No Way Jose?

I'm not that into him either. To me he's just a face version of the Drifter, a passable wrestler with a cornball gimmick. The whole presentation needs some serious refinement.

• Like 1

The one thing you can't deny about Jose is that he is over. The gimmick as is has a pretty low ceiling, but it's always good to have wrestlers that are over up and down the card. Even if he becomes another Ty Dillinger, that's still a worthwhile role.

Even though I find the Drifter boring personally, I don't object to his use as a JTTS. If the crowd cares about the jobber, they care more about the guy who's beating him, which is always a good thing.

Just finished seeing the Spokane event, figured was worth posting about. Drove up from Idaho (apparently the state is a lie? I won't argue it) with a buddy to see this show and visit one of our friends.

Show was fun, nothing stellar. Crowd was small and having an arena venue didn't help that. My buddy was aware of Samoa Joe and nobody else. He immediately described the Drifter as "hobo Jeff Jarrett". Was nice to see guys like Balor and Nakamura, who teamed against Dash and Dawson in a really fun match. Joe and Aries main evented, and while the match was good, neither of them seemed to really want to be there. They both quickly exited after the match.

Still, I felt I got my moneys worth and seeing it with a friend who also loves wrestling made it even better.

• Like 1

So the Joe/Balor match in Portland last night had Joe win being grabbing the tights which lead to a huge brawl

So then they had Regal do a video that is on the facebook page

http://www.pwinsider.com/ViewArticle.php?id=101992

So 11 AM on Tuesday on Facebook - they are doing a live video of Regal addressing Balor/Joe in regards to the Takeover match

The Portland show was a lot of fun. No Way Jose was super over. Match of the night was Alpha Males vs Revival. The Drifter had mega heat and was awesome. Joe vs Balor was good and was just heating up when they went for the finish, kinda sucked the air out of the crowd but the brawling after the show made up for it. Top to bottom a fun show.