DVDVR Message Board

MAY 2016 NXT GENERAL DISCUSSION

RIPPA

Our NXT Discussion has became enough to warrant monthly threads.

As touched on at the end of the last thread - last night's show

Here are full results from NXT Live in Cocoa Beach, FL on April 30 2016.

Tom Phillips is your host for the evening. Andrea D'Marco is your ring announcer. 

- No Way Jose def. Mojo Rawley. An decent opener. Crowd was very much into both guys and the match started with a dance off between the two. As the match progressed, we got to see a little bit more of a heelish Mojo Rawley. It's not full blown evil, but he wasn't the same fun loving guy either. Not sure if it's his best fit, but it's an interesting experiment. Either way, No Way Jose got the win and the crowd loves him.

- Patrick Clark def. Dan Matha. Another fun match, albeit kind of short. Matha has that build WWE loves, being that he's about 6'7. He's got some personality and skill for someone who is still very new in the business. Clark played the underdog trying to overcome having his arm worked on. He eventually pulls out a win. On a side note, Clark wears the most over the top set of tights. They're long white tights with a huge American flag, an eagle, and Clark's face all airbrushed on it. It's kind of amazing. 

- Carmella def. Aliyah. Another solid match. Not quite as good as their tv match, but still entertaining. Aliyah seems so much more comfortable working as a heel. She looked solid tonight. The one criticism I have is that she throws the worst looking kicks of anyone I've seen in NXT. She could do to tighten those up. Here theme music is pretty awful too. I hope she finds a better one soon.

- Tino Sabbatelli def. Chris Girard. This was a really good match. These guys had some good chemistry and it was a fun back and forth match. Girard is so solid, but Tino more than held his own. I can't say enough about how far Tino has come over the last few months. His in ring work is much more crisp and he's more comfortable taunting and jawing and doing the kinds of things a heel should do. Girard is also really finding a groove in these matches. He could really show himself off to the world, either in NXT soon or as part of the Global Cruiserweight Series. 

- Mikey Knicholls and Shane Veryzer def. The Authors of Pain  (Sunny Dhinsa and Gzim Selmani). This was surprisingly fun and an interesting choice for a match to go on before intermission  (a prime spot on these house shows). Knicholls and Veryzer  (aka the Mighty Don't Kneel) looked fine as the babyfaces working front underneath. I was especially impressed by Dhinsa and Selmani. They may not be Giants as far as height goes, but they both have very thick builds and very physical style. For being so new to working live events, they looked very comfortable as dominating heels. Besides the kind of awkward team name, they could be a very interesting addition to the NXT Tag division that is in desperate need of new blood.

- Asuka and Adrienne Reese def. Nia Jax and Mandy Rose. Another really fun match. Most of the match was the heels working Reese over, but it never dragged. Nia has grown so much as a worker, but she's also very good at taunting from the apron. Plus, Mandy more than held her own. There are still the occasional rough moments, but for how new she is to the business, she's actually quite impressive. I really enjoyed this. I really hope Reese gets her chance to impress on NXT TV soon.

- Elias Samson def. Noah. Noah, who also works under the names Noah Kekoa and Noah Potjes, is working a gimmick of wanting to be friends and freaks out when they turn him down. Samson has nuclear heat. Before the match, he told the crowd he would play them a song. He was booed with every single word he said. Only Eva Marie gets more heat. I guess Cocoa isn't much of a music town. As for the match, it was short and kept mostly to the basics, but fine for what it's intended to be, and that's being a break before the main event.

Main Event: Finn Balor, Manny Andrade and Tye Dillinger def. Samoa Joe and The Revival  (Scott Dawson and Dash Wilder). Holy crap was this fun. The crowd was red hot for the match. As always, the Revival brought it in a position of importance. Each guy looked good, but especially Dillinger who worked the majority of the match. Dawson always gets credit as the workhorse of the group, and he is amazing, but Dash Wilder should never be undersold. He absolutely is a major cog to that group. He is so solid in the ring and absolutely amazing at taunting and working a crowd into hating him. This was just so much fun and had a great ending. Finn dropped Dash, Andrade hit a beautiful twisting dive onto Samoa Joe outside, and Dillinger super kicked Dawson onto Dash. Finn hit the Coup de Grace on both Revival members. The three heroes received their adulation at the end, but Finn and Manny made a special point to put Dillinger over and they played Tye's music, even though he didn't get the pin.

• Like 2

You can really tell that Patrick was the one they wanted to win Tough Enough

Granted he was already a wrestler but he is by far the furthest along of all the male TE guys

Heck - I don't even think the winner exists after his Twitter incident

The tour begins on June 2 at The Old National Events Plaza in Evansville, IN.

June 3 they run The Nashville War Memorial Auditorium in Tennessee,

The tour wraps on Saturday, June 4, at Center Stage in Atlanta, GA.

RE: Those who avoid spoilers

I do. It's pretty easy to do after the first couple of days and just avoid the spoiler threads here completely until that show airs. I like to watch the shows unfold "live" and be surprised at the matches that happen on the shows and see the angles develop. However, it's next to impossible to be 100% spoiler free when somebody new shows up or something major happens, especially when WWE spoils those things themselves. I avoided all the spoiler threads here leading up to the Mania Weekend Takeover event, but I had found out what all the matches were well in advance just through individual posts and comments in other threads along the way. It's not something I take super seriously like Ted Mosby trying to avoid Superbowl Spoilers, and if I find something out beforehand I'm not upset and devastated, but I go in to each weekly show as fresh as possible and I like it that way.

I am thinking that the WWE is finding it must help their viewer numbers to promote a surprise as it happens

It clearly is a new change in philosophy because the first time I remember it happening was with Aries earlier this year.

Now that is in regards to a person debuting.

Obviously Joe's title win was treated as an event as it happened. I think there was confusion initially because people thought they were going to show the whole match on TV (which turned out to be incorrect)

One of the few times in life where it's helpful to have an awful memory - I'll look at the spoilers the day they happen, but by the time it gets to being shown on TV, I generally forget about what happens.

Not sure how people feel about this, but I never really liked Austin Aries. I always felt that he was a poor man's AJ Styles even when he was on a team with Matt Sydal who was essentially better and cheery AJ Styles. I don't understand the hype around and I've tried to like him but I don't get him or his offense or his skill-set. Everything about says "well I am mediocre, but I look like the swarmy douche who goes clubbing all the time so I guess I'm cool."

• Like 1

I find that when Aries is firing on all cylinders that he brings a certain urgent physicality to his matches that I really like but he hasn't really done that yet in NXT and may never get a chance to. He's no AJ I'll give you that, but I do think he's more rounded than Sydal.

• Like 1

On 5/2/2016 at 2:53 PM, RIPPA said:

The tour begins on June 2 at The Old National Events Plaza in Evansville, IN.

June 3 they run The Nashville War Memorial Auditorium in Tennessee,

The tour wraps on Saturday, June 4, at Center Stage in Atlanta, GA.

So, what's the deal with this presale.  How do I go about getting tickets during it?  And does it really matter?

17 hours ago, Kyuubi said:

Not sure how people feel about this, but I never really liked Austin Aries. I always felt that he was a poor man's AJ Styles even when he was on a team with Matt Sydal who was essentially better and cheery AJ Styles. I don't understand the hype around and I've tried to like him but I don't get him or his offense or his skill-set. Everything about says "well I am mediocre, but I look like the swarmy douche who goes clubbing all the time so I guess I'm cool."

I always liked Aries more than Styles in ROH. Aries was also tearing it up in TNA while AJ was doing his awful emo heel character. The last few years AJ has been on fire, and I haven't seen that much from Aries. However, if history repeats itself Aries will get over, and have a successful run because that's what he's done his whole career. He may need to turn heel for that to happen in NXT. I don't think Joe was doing all that hot as a baby face either, but the heel turn really helped.

21 minutes ago, Trocar Slush Weasel said:

Man, that Atlanta presale was such a shitshow.  I guess I should feel lucky I got any tickets, let alone 2 tickets together.

That reminds me - someone pointed out that currently 1/4 of all the tickets for Takeover and the accompanying TV taping are on sale on Stub Hub for like a 300% markup

You would think they would try to start implementing measures to prevented the scalpers but clearly they are happier with the notion that their events sell out in 45 seconds.

Ugh, this is why I default to unorganized indy shows. To make a long story short, the first time NXT came to Philly it sold out quickly and tix went on StubHub for big bucks. The second time I really wanted to go, but tix sold out again in an instant, 6+ weeks or so before the event. I checked periodically but prices remained high. Four or five days before the show, prices started dropping. The ringsides remained unavailable but all the others went down, even to below face value. I got two tix with great sightlines for original price (plus those ridiculous fees). On the day of the show, prices went down even more, and there were scores of folks smart enough to wait outside until the card started and get in for free to fill empty seats. Lots of ringside seats were comped by the venue or for the workers, and not filled with fans of NXT.

My conclusion is the same as RIPPAs. For the second show here, the fans snagged the seats they wanted, and all the others were bought by resellers. There was not a great demand after the initial sale, so they started dumping them. The event sold out but it was at least half of the seats were bought by pro/semi-pro ticket brokers, who offered them at the last minute below net cost. I think the seats would have been a SO with the walk ups but this vulnerability to the brokers (who I think often have an "in" to get seats in bulk below retail), as well as the annoying on-line buying rituals and exorbitant tafiffs, makes my senior-sense activate.

old & in the way,

RAF