DVDVR Message Board

MAY 2016 WRESTLING DISCUSSION THREAD

Enzo's injury reminded me of a hit Trent Green took when he played for the Chiefs. It was against the Bengals, I'm sure you can find it on youtube. Good to see he's up and out of the hospital.

Has there been any more talk of a brand split?  The further down the road they go with this angle, the less I think it actually results in a brand split.  Which will make everything involving Shane pointless and annoying.  I think we get Shane vs. Hunter in a match at Summer Slam.  Ugh. 

I really don't want to see a brand split.  Unless they start doing Smackdown live, it's never again going to be on equal footing with RAW and if they intended to do a live show, they probably would have started when SD switched back to USA.  The previous brand split gave us meh RAW sports entertainment shows and very good runs of Smackdown as the wrestling show.  It also gave us horrific brand split PPV's and the annual rape of Smackdown where anyone who managed to get over was drafted back to RAW and the Smackdown gm drafted Hornswoggle and the Great Khali as replacements.

Davey Richards is teasing that he is going to retire from wrestling so I am sure it will be something wacky like I RE-SIGNED WITH TNA!!!

It's probably time.  Seems like he's been working two or three other jobs and he claimed last year that he scored high enough on the MCAT to get into a good medical school.  And his wrestling career has gone from being next big thing on the indys and touring Japan to.... going nowhere fast as a tag wrestler in TNA.

That said, he's claimed retirement a few times before so I won't be surprised if the big announcement turns out to be something else entirely.

2 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Also weird coincidence

As noted on Twitter - probably the last time the WWE had to stop a match for injury like that was Vaudevillians vs. Jason Jordan &. "Mr. Sasha Banks" Mikaze

Mikaze got knocked out and they stopped the match (though it never aired on TV)

And now that I think about it - I think Mikaze was forced to retire and that is now why he works behind the scenes

IIRC, Mikaze already had the backstage costumer job before the injury.

• Like 1

Also remember with Richards - he just had a kid with Angelina Love

So that could be a factor too.

Of course as I said - this is wrestling so I expect some sort of HAHAHAHAHA!!! Y'ALL ARE MARKS!!!! type tweet by the end of the day

1 hour ago, nofuture said:

That doesn't solve the fact that they don't know how long Enzo will be out, especially with the PPV in 3 weeks.

If he can't go, just feed the Vaudvillans to New Day at Extreme Rules and that buys Enzo another month to recover.

It really wouldn't be the worst thing for this to cause their tag title win to be postponed until SummerSlam, because that would be fucking huge in Brooklyn.

Based on their interview with Steve Austin and given Enzo's attitude about his broken leg, it could be the best thing for him that he was knocked out.  If he hadn't been, he probably would have kept going and the injury could have been worse.

1 hour ago, (BP) said:

Davey will never be the wrestler Terry Funk was, but he can retire as many times as him. 

"Terry Funk ain't wear no mouthpiece!" - Jay Briscoe

2 hours ago, nofuture said:

That doesn't solve the fact that they don't know how long Enzo will be out, especially with the PPV in 3 weeks.

Option B have Sami Zayn fill in for Enzo. They beat the Vaudevillians easily and then Sami can do double duty at Extreme Rules if need be.

4 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Just clarify - it could still be very serious.

No one knows how long he will need to recover.

As Meltzer pointed out last night - a severe concussion was the reason Christian was retired. (He cited a UFC fighter who has been out over a year but I am blanking on who). He could be back next week too.

But we should probably be careful about saying "nothing too serious"

I know almost nothing about concussions, but if it was potentially that serious, wouldn't they have kept him in the hospital overnight? 

36 minutes ago, mattdangerously said:

I know almost nothing about concussions, but if it was potentially that serious, wouldn't they have kept him in the hospital overnight? 

That is totally up to the doctors/hospital. Since the tests came back that he didn't have neck damage they clearly thought he responded well enough to go.

By the reports from yesterday - Enzo responded well. His short term memory loss "wasn't bad" (he supposedly remembered everything up until the match started until he woke up in the backstage area).

The issue with a severe concussion (or any concussion) is what happens the next time you suffer one. And it is easier to suffer one once you have had one. So obviously - pro wrestling raises that risk anymore.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Phantom Lord said:

But man, Thank God Enzo is all right. The way he was motionless on the floor was just scary. I can just see him being all "I'M FROM STATEN ISLAND. IT TAKES A LIL MORE DEN DAT TO PUT A GEE LIKE ME DOWN...HOW YOU DOIN"

I was thinking something like "One second I was in the ring... next second there was these bunch of doctors askin' me 'How you doin'"

3 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

That is totally up to the doctors/hospital. Since the tests came back that he didn't have neck damage they clearly thought he responded well enough to go.

By the reports from yesterday - Enzo responded well. His short term memory loss "wasn't bad" (he supposedly remembered everything up until the match started until he woke up in the backstage area).

The issue with a severe concussion (or any concussion) is what happens the next time you suffer one. And it is easier to suffer one once you have had one. So obviously - pro wrestling raises that risk anymore.

Plus you might feel fine that night, but problems can pick up the next morning/next time you start to do physical activity.

If only Bob Barker had guest hosted Impact instead of RAW, Davey could've gotten proper advice and made that dogged decision a lot quicker.

• Like 1