DVDVR Message Board

MAY 2016 WRESTLING DISCUSSION THREAD

2 hours ago, (BP) said:

Finn painting the demon face on the briefcase would be pretty cool. Hopefully he wouldn't do his full entrance during a cash-in because it would give the champ like 15 minutes to run away. 

Eh, he can just play his entrance theme and Roman stop what he's doing and stand around hypnotized for 15 minutes, so it works out.

49 minutes ago, sydneybrown said:

I so wish whoever gets the case just immediately bashes Roman in the head with it and cashes in right then and there (whether they win or lose) so we can maybe go a whole year without it being around.

They won't give up their get out of booking jail card that easily.

1 hour ago, sydneybrown said:

I so wish whoever gets the case just immediately bashes Roman in the head with it and cashes in right then and there (whether they win or lose) so we can maybe go a whole year without it being around.

I'd just like someone to do nothing but go around and bash Roman in the head with a briefcase for a year. That's how you get someone over. Walk in, bash 'em, leave. No promos, no explanations.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, sydneybrown said:

You don't like the MITB gimmick?!

It's one of my favourite concepts WWE has come up with.  It can get a guy over as an up-and-comer/future main eventer more than anything other than a Royal Rumble win (And those aren't given out easily anymore).  Plus it creates an elevated level of excitement every time the champ gets beat down with the crowd buzzing for the cash-in.  And when the guy cashes in the MITB, the whole crowd is completely electric for it, whether it's Dolph Ziggler or The Miz cashing it in.  If it were up to me, I'd do more MITB stuff, maybe have a MITB women's match on the show as well.  

About the only thing i don't like about the MITB gimmick is that the winner has to be called "Mr. Money in the Bank" until they cash it in, and that just reminds me of Michael promoting his son and calling him "Mr. Manager" and George Michael going "I'm Mister Manager" until Michael says "It's just manager" on 'Arrested Development'.

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, rzombie1988 said:

I'd just like someone to do nothing but go around and bash Roman in the head with a briefcase for a year. That's how you get someone over. Walk in, bash 'em, leave. No promos, no explanations.

I'm sorry you're racist against Samoans.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sydneybrown said:

Already been done

CMA9qVOW8AAIGRb.jpg

• Like 4

This doesn't really apply to anything or anyone specific in WWE right now, but I always thought a cool thing would be a single camera shot that follows the winner to the back, where he immediately waffles the champ from behind, throws him over his shoulder (or on a stretcher), brings him out, dumps him in the ring, and pins him at the MITB event itself. The surprise cash-in has jumped the shark, unfortunately. I think what LU does with the Gift of the Gods being it's own secondary title and MITB wrapped into one (which I think TNA might have also done with the X Division title a few years ago, but I stopped watching TNA regularly by then) is a fresher take on it.

I'd also like to say that I think it's bullshit they don't do more with the idea of having matches to qualify for the MITB match. I think more emphasis on those would give it an old school KOTR feel, and make the match seem more important-- like Royal Rumble in the summer

• Like 1

20 hours ago, twiztor said:

warning: long winded post ahead. it deals with my pro wrestling viewership and Owen Hart. i'm going to spoiler tag it for anyone that doesn't want to deal with one guy's emotions.

Reveal hidden contents

background: i'm a wrestling fan. i'm 33 years old and live in Iowa. i grew up watching wrestling sporadically (my dad didn't necessarily care for it and my mom thought it was more of a punchline than a profession). I'd catch it randomly at friends' houses, or through uncles who were fans, etc. i remember Hogan slamming Andre. i remember siding with Macho Man when Hogan tried to steal his girlfriend. i remember being a big Ultimate Warrior fan. But all of these things came from bits and pieces, not from following week after week. this is how i "watched" wrestling until i was a teenager. I had never seen a complete episode of Raw. i'd rent Coliseum Videos from the local movie place. i'd watch Superstars if i happened across it. Wrestling was not prescription viewing.

All that changed in 1996 (i would've been 13). A friend pointed out that Razor Ramon was showing up on this new show, WCW Nitro, and that i should check it out. I did, and i was hooked. I watched WCW every single week, catching Saturday Night and Worldwide whenever i could, up until the 1/4/99 show with all the bullshit of the Hogan/Nash 'fingerpoke of doom'. Around the 1998 Royal Rumble, i also started to watch Raw (this is when my local broadcast location started carrying USA). I would watch Raw live at a friend's house, then rush home to watch the Nitro replay. and it was awesome.

Anyway, on to the point of the story. I was familiar with Owen Hart through the wrestling videos i had rented and dubbed. I adored watching King of the Ring '94 (how much does that guy weigh?), mainly due to the Owen/Kid and Owen/Razor matches. I always thought he was an above-average wrestler, but after the Hart Foundation split for WCW, he never did anything of note. He wasted away in the midcard, losing most of the feuds he was involved with. It wasn't until the "Canadian Country" (Owen Hart/Jeff Jarrett) tag team formed that i was all-in on Owen again. They had an awesome run with great matches against all sorts of tag foes. Until we came to Over the Edge '99. Now, i never saw this PPV live. you see, my friends & i and tickets to go see the Monday Night Raw taping two nights later, so we were all too broke to fork out $30 or whatever for the event. in the years since, i've both thanked and cursed myself over that.

You see, the death of Owen Hart hit me hard. I had never met him and wasn't even a hardcore fan of his until about 6 months before his demise, but i felt as if i had lost someone very close to me. Until this day, it is the 'celebrity' death that has hit me the hardest.

A few years ago (2012 to be exact) i started watching Nitro (and later Raw) in real time. I'd fallen out of love with current wrestling a few years prior and stopped watching altogether, but i missed it. i decided to return to the Attitude Era, and watch from the beginning, one Nitro a week until it was completed. The dates generally lined up, so if there was a show on July 12, 1996, i watched it on July 12, 2013. At some point, i realized that Over the Edge '99 was something that would happen. i debated over watching it, sometimes with a morbid curiosity, but usually with overwhelming dread. That day was today.

last night i watched the documentary "the Life and Death of Owen Hart" that was filmed alongside Wrestling with Shadows. it was a very negative (and understandably so) look at the events leading up to Owen's fateful fall. It heightened my depression of the entire circumstances and left me somewhat bitter and angry.

i reluctantly popped Over the Edge into my dvd player (i prefer to watch the live PPV broadcasts over the Network versions) this morning, and watched HeAT and the first few matches of the pay-per-view. then the fall happened. JR's announcement comes to be called the "Owen voice". i teared up. i was actually surprised that the show went on as seamlessly as it did. i expected to see more of the wrestling have bad timing, or just look uninterested, but to their credit, everyone seemed to hold their own and turn in decent-at-worst performances. The actual announcement of Owen's death, before the main events, seemed more of a formality than a revelation.

then i watched the Raw is Owen tribute from the following night. it didn't get a little dusty in my living room. i was outright crying. i know it's been 17 years, but i still felt an immense sense of loss. the emotions from the other wrestlers and coworkers was just too real.

i finished up my Owen fest by watching the new WWE doc, "Owen: King of Harts" this evening. it brightened my day by keeping a positive outlook to everything. The positive stories, memories, and recollections really put a new spin on everything. A couple of the stories mentioned during the Raw is Owen broadcast were reiterated, which was an awesome way of tying everything together (however unintentional they may have been). i feel like my own personal focus of this event has been evaporated and that i can finally grieve the death of Owen Hart in a way that i hadn't been able to before and that has festered inside in some sort since 1999.

I'm not familiar with how this dvd set was received, but if anybody got a sort of closure at or near the level of my own, i feel extremely happy for them. Owen for HoF class of 2017 !!!...?

I'm at Raw tonight and that's definitely on my mind. Still can't believe it's been 17 years. Great story. I just remember laying in shock and disbelief when I found out. First wrestling death that hit me hard.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

I think what LU does with the Gift of the Gods being it's own secondary title and MITB wrapped into one (which I think TNA might have also done with the X Division title a few years ago, but I stopped watching TNA regularly by then) is a fresher take on it.

TNA has the X Division Title which can be cashed in for a World title shot at Destination X every year, AND the four Feast or Fired Briefcases which contain title shots for the World, TV and Tag titles (and whoever gets the 4th case gets fired, sometimes IRL). Although in 2015 Magnus won the Tag Title Shot and it ended up being cashed in by Trevor Lee and Bryan Myers somehow. Something to do with Karen Jarrett.

Thanks for clarifying, dude. When I saw that episode of Impact I was half in the bag at a crowded pizzeria, pretending not to watch it, and for some reason thought that's what Hogan was yelling at Austin Aries about. I didn't realize they had four Feast or Fired briefcases. I even thought the Raw/SD ones were too much. I wonder if they'll try to do one for the Women's title at some point

5 hours ago, (BP) said:

Finn painting the demon face on the briefcase would be pretty cool. Hopefully he wouldn't do his full entrance during a cash-in because it would give the champ like 15 minutes to run away. 

He could just do what he did in the buildup to the KO match in NXT and have the lights go out and come back on to reveal him doing a scary face perched on the turnbuckle

but also holding an oversized child's lunchbox this time too I guess

2 hours ago, Mike Zeidler said:

Already been done

CMA9qVOW8AAIGRb.jpg

I look at that picture with a little objective distance and I think "I'm seeing one of the sexy werewolves from True Blood being attacked by a Sasquatch wielding a stick.  Why do I feel the need to add to that by throwing shit at them?"

• Like 2

I'd have Ambrose winning it.

Rollins pursuing Reigns' title. Ambrose still wanting revenge on Rollins. First step of revenge, by screwing Rollins out of MITB like he did two years earlier. Having Reigns' back against Rollins (and the Club), but also the dynamic of Reigns not being able to fully trust him. Ambrose swears that he won't cash in on his best friend. Eventually becomes upset with Reigns' lack of trust, and eventually cashes in on him out of hurt.

Shield three-way at Summerslam.

• Like 3

The potential problems:

Roman talks to much to be Blondie

Dean is too stupid to be Tuco.

Seth works to goddamn hard to be Angel Eyes.  And he talks too much.  And he's too stupid.  And his hair.

But it wouldn't take too many well-booked matches to re-make Dean as a threat to hang with the other two.  It could be really fun if they take turns screwing each other out of things in every possible combination for a few months.  And I think it's better if in the process the other two screw Roman out of the belt so that it's out of the picture for awhile and its just them messing with each other.  Then Seth can screw dean out of MITB and Roman can screw Seth out of his cash-in and on and on.

The tricky part is ppv.  If all three are involved with each other all the time, how do you keep them all on PPV while not side-tracking someone into a different feud?

Somewhere in there, to kill a few months, you can unite them temporarily against another larger foe and then have them go at it again after that.

Perhaps instead of the cash-in, have Roman manipulate Dean into cashing in at the main event of Summerslam so there's no funny business between them, which he later lobbies to have Rollins included as well after Rollins manipulates him in turn by challenging him to find out who really was the dominant member of the Shield, which in turn upsets Dean as he's been screwed out of a fair shot at the title.

Play up Rollins cashing in at Mania and Reigns losing the title without ever being pinned. Roman asks Dean why he never stopped Rollins from cashing in.

Roman never goes straight heel, but still gives people reason to boo him as its obvious he's manipulating and subsequently screwing over his friend to keep the title and get one over on Rollins. Meanwhile, Rollins is just as opportunistic and manipulative, but is happy to be open about it and calls out Reigns on it, whilst trying to drive a bigger wedge between the two.

Out of the blue: On the one hand, you have a work. On the other hand, you have a shoot. And in the middle, you have a worked shoot. But do you also have a shot work? And if so, what falls under that umbrella, New Jack vs Chad Austin and most Rick Steiner vs Virgil matches?

So, between now and 'mania who is more likely to be WWE champion:

- Rollins

- Ambrose

- Owens 

- Styles

I'm wagering that one of those four ends up taking the belt between now and then. Ambrose has the built-in storyline, AJ may get there just on the Daniel Bryan deal where eventually the best wrestler in the world just kind of forces his way there due to performance and crowd reaction, Owens is tailor made as a heel that can be chased and Rollins is going to be a supernova babyface if he's turned. 

Styles. The break-up with Anderson & Gallows is a swerve, he feigns being Reigns' ally and gets the title shot. He could even win the MITB and cash in in a dastardly fashion after A&G lay out RR. Power group on top, Balor does the "will he/won't he". Rollins and Cena can make good babyface chases after the belt. This assumes a dwindling screen presence of the Authority.

Owens is too good at making the secondary titles important. Ambrose is better as a chasing/feuding underdog.

- RAF

18 hours ago, AxB said:

TNA has the X Division Title which can be cashed in for a World title shot at Destination X every year, AND the four Feast or Fired Briefcases which contain title shots for the World, TV and Tag titles (and whoever gets the 4th case gets fired, sometimes IRL). Although in 2015 Magnus won the Tag Title Shot and it ended up being cashed in by Trevor Lee and Bryan Myers somehow. Something to do with Karen Jarrett.

The whole fired thing makes no sense- unless you wanted to be fired.   Also led to the Odarg the Great stuff which was pretty dreadful recently, and I like Grado.