DVDVR Message Board

MAY 2016 WRESTLING DISCUSSION THREAD

Hence why he's a "poor man's".

It is a different style today. That hurts the artform a ton for the WWE. But look back at how Austin wrestled before the injury and tell me he wasn't infinitely a better ring performer than most of the guys on the current roster who just do over exaggerated done to death spots. Cena had it called out on him back at ONS 06. 

Even look back at the lower card guys back theN their matches made sense and their offense made sense.  Not like Apollo Crews who needs his opponent to flip over after the gorilla press slam so he can do a standing moonsault for a pinfall attempt. That's absolutely horseshit by anyone's standards.  All Apollo has to do is invert the Press slam so he automatically falls on their back.

Guys like Regal, Orndorff, Double A and Larry Zybisco sucked? It's not nostalgia for their characters... it's nostalgia for the fact that their shit look good, made sense, and could get the crowd involved without shortening their careers or looking like morons with blatant assists to their opponents offense like Kalisto needs.

Any time someone has rose colored glasses about the Attitude Era and the overall talent of the roster, I implore them to go back and watch any of those Royal Rumbles. They were thin. 

Cristobal, was Austin better than Cena? He was cooler, for sure, but I would say that Cena had a better best match, the better top 5 matches, a better peak year, has had better matches with bad opponents, and a better stretch of TV matches with his US Title Open Challenge thing. Austin had a ton of memorable moments and made Raw appointment television, but I'm not sure I agree with the case that he's a better in ring wrestler.

Austin before his body broke down was absolutely a better in-ring wrestler than Cena is today. Even later he used what he could still do to maximum effect. I'm not knocking Cena, either. Steve Austin is pro wrestling.

• Like 5

I'd say Austin was better personally, but when you're comparing two elite guys like that, it's pretty much all gonna come down to personal taste.

Still, does Cena really have a match better than Austin vs. Bret at WM 13? And I'd put Austin in 2001 against any year for Cena (07 probably being his best).

• Like 1

Cena also had the Money In The Bank match with Punk, Extreme Rules against Lesnar, and the series with Owens. I really can't think of any Austin matches I'd put above those or the aforementioned Umaga and Bryan ones.

51 minutes ago, madsplash said:

Cena also had the Money In The Bank match with Punk, Extreme Rules against Lesnar, and the series with Owens. I really can't think of any Austin matches I'd put above those or the aforementioned Umaga and Bryan ones.

Austin vs. Bret- Survivor Series '96. I think that's better than the WM13 match. Austin/Mero from KOTR '96 is one of Austin's more underrated matches.

Cena also had much higher quality opponents than Austin had pre-Bret and pre-injury. Before the Bret matches, Austin was working Savio, no condition to work Jake, and morbidly obese Yoko. 

4 hours ago, Cristobal said:

Austin was better than Cena. Godfather, the New Age Outlaws, and Test were not better than Kevin Owens, Sami Zayn and Cesaro.

What does the merch sales say, because the ratings are likely pointing towards a "they probably were."

Were those guys better works, nope. But I can rattle off multiple things said by Godfather and NAO. Can't say the same for Owens, Sami, and Cesaro. I like all three better as wrestlers, but unless things change, they're not going to be remembered fondly, if at all, outside of by the wrestling geeks. Damn shame too, because Cesaro and Owens should be carrying the company right now.

This is some down-thee-rabbit-hole shite, to compare Austin to Cena. Both are top draws ever and big influences and record setters, to be sure. Both have great charisma, definitely the "it" factor. I could conceive of making an in-ring comparison between the two (in which, in my opinion, Austin dominates) but as complete workers there is a vast gulf separating them. I would be hard pressed to name more then a couple of Cena's angles, feuds or promos that could match Austin's body of work. Austin has worked more styles and shown more versatility, which is more a factor of the times he wrestled in. Cena has had some great "big" matches (his forte') but I would rank Austin's ECW or Hollywood Blondes TV work over the majority of Cena stuff, especially his mic work and RAW/SD matches. Austin's psychology and storytelling are much better. Perhaps it is a generational thing - does the Cena-over-Austin crowd skew younger?

shaking my head,

RAF

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, rzombie1988 said:

Rumors are Cena vs Nakamura in Hawaii. WWE is dumb as fuck. If they paired this with say Itami/Brock they'd sell an easy 35,000 tickets at the Tokyo Dome.

And guarantee an extra 1/2 * from Meltz

• Like 1

5 hours ago, madsplash said:

The Rock matches at Mania (17 and 19)? The 3 stages of hell with HHH?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Cena also had much higher quality opponents than Austin had pre-Bret and pre-injury. Before the Bret matches, Austin was working Savio, no condition to work Jake, and morbidly obese Yoko. 

John Cena got great matches and PPV programs out of Khali and Bobby Lashley. I'm not sure quality of opponent is an argument in favor of Austin.

6 hours ago, Cristobal said:

Cena/Bryan better than Austin/Bret? I thought I was one of the bigger Bryan backers on the board, but I don't see that.

Also: Austin/Steamboat

I love the Daniel Bryan vs. John Cena match at SummerSlam 2013 but Bret Hart vs. Steve Austin at WrestleMania 13 is better. There's so few if honestly ANY match I'd have above it.

• Like 2