DVDVR Message Board

MAY 2016 WRESTLING DISCUSSION THREAD

10 hours ago, Cristobal said:

No one is from Idaho. The state is a lie.

Now I need to produce photgraphic proof. I now have a project for the weekend.

On ‎5‎/‎5‎/‎2016 at 9:55 AM, nate said:

It was mentioned earlier that Sasha Banks could pull off stuffed animals with shutter shades etc., and makeup.  My daughter would love the shit out of this!  Hell, I may make her a Sasha bear just for her enjoyment.

That was me but yeah I just don't think WWE is capitalizing on what they have with the women far as merch goes

So, every once in a while, I'll read through portions of Bret Hart's biography and I always thought the part about Stu Hart loving to bring in the midget wrestlers because they always sold a lot of tickets, which I thought was funny for a family that was such a proponent of serious pro wrestling.

So, last night I attended a local indy wrestling show that featured Mick Foley that was RIDICULOUSLY busy (Several rows of people standing because they had greatly outsold the number of tickets) and everyone was into the matches, and super-into Mick Foley's apperance, and all.  And then they brought out Short Sleeve Samson and Akeem to wrestle for the Midget Championship and the place became UNGLUED.  Chanting for Samson, booing Akeem, popping like crazy for every move, laughing manically at classic midget spots (The guy getting kicked off his opponent and dumped back onto the opponent when he lands in the ref's arms) and absolutely EXPLODING for Samson busting out The Worm.  So, even when the main event came along with Mick Foley using Socko and the like, it was still really loud, but not nearly as big as the noise for the Midget Title.

So, in short, Stu Hart was totally right.

• Like 3

On 5/6/2016 at 3:46 PM, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I'll remember you since you quoted me for your sig.

At least you guys have something. I've been on the board for 16 years and no one knows who I am.

My dad always told me about when he'd watch wrestling with his uncle and how said uncle was always so happy when the midgets showed up (them and the lady wrestlers if I recall correctly).  I think as long as they only show up every so often it is something that just works.

7 minutes ago, nate said:

Hey this just occurred to me: Where the hell have 3.0 (Parker/Matthews) been?  Seems like I haven't seen them anywhere this year.

I think they popped up in at least one match at the NXT tapings in Dallas. Not sure if it's aired yet, though, as I'm pretty far behind on NXT...

55 minutes ago, Shane said:

I think they popped up in at least one match at the NXT tapings in Dallas. Not sure if it's aired yet, though, as I'm pretty far behind on NXT...

I believe it aired 4/27. I watched it, just don't remember the date. I want more 3.0 in nxt. 

3 hours ago, A Guy Named Tracy said:

I can't be the only one who is picturing a bearded 4'6" white dude dressed in African garb wrestling Short Sleeve Sampson, can I? 

No, more like a black guy doing a Prince Nana gimmick.  Wearing a crown, waving to the crowd.  Two separate guys on opposite sides of the hall shouted "Whatchu talkin' bout Willis?" at him and somehow both felt like what they had done was truly original and funny.

7 hours ago, caley said:

No, more like a black guy doing a Prince Nana gimmick.  Wearing a crown, waving to the crowd.  Two separate guys on opposite sides of the hall shouted "Whatchu talkin' bout Willis?" at him and somehow both felt like what they had done was truly original and funny.

001.png

• Like 1

19 hours ago, caley said:

So, every once in a while, I'll read through portions of Bret Hart's biography and I always thought the part about Stu Hart loving to bring in the midget wrestlers because they always sold a lot of tickets, which I thought was funny for a family that was such a proponent of serious pro wrestling.

So, last night I attended a local indy wrestling show that featured Mick Foley that was RIDICULOUSLY busy (Several rows of people standing because they had greatly outsold the number of tickets) and everyone was into the matches, and super-into Mick Foley's apperance, and all.  And then they brought out Short Sleeve Samson and Akeem to wrestle for the Midget Championship and the place became UNGLUED.  Chanting for Samson, booing Akeem, popping like crazy for every move, laughing manically at classic midget spots (The guy getting kicked off his opponent and dumped back onto the opponent when he lands in the ref's arms) and absolutely EXPLODING for Samson busting out The Worm.  So, even when the main event came along with Mick Foley using Socko and the like, it was still really loud, but not nearly as big as the noise for the Midget Title.

So, in short, Stu Hart was totally right.

Seconded - midgets draw for indies like you wouldn't fucking believe, especially if they've had any sort of TV exposure (which is pretty much all of them at this point, since - no pun intended - the talent pool is so small).

• Like 3

I always thought the part about Stu Hart loving to bring in the midget wrestlers because they always sold a lot of tickets, which I thought was funny for a family that was such a proponent of serious pro wrestling.

mqdefault.jpg

HE HAD A FAT WIFE AND NINE KIDS TO FEED, CALEY

• Like 1

It's crazy to me to think of an 11 year old kid starting to watch wrestling today. To that kid who is 11 and watching today's product, the Attitude Era is farther away to him as the Bruno Sammartino Era was to me when I first started watching in the mid-80s. Those Bruno and other early 70's matches seemed ancient to me when they'd pop up on the occasional Coliseum Videos.

• Like 1

That would mean that Ric Flair is the Harley Race of this era. Crazy former wrestler/champion that just speaks borderline craziness.

I'll never forget Harley Race talking down to Ron Simmons leading up to Simmons vs Vader. So incredibly racist.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Wyld Samurai said:

That would mean that Ric Flair is the Harley Race of this era. Crazy former wrestler/champion that just speaks borderline craziness.

I'll never forget Harley Race talking down to Ron Simmons leading up to Simmons vs Vader. So incredibly racist.

Harley may be borderline crazy. Ric blew past borderline a long, long time ago. He's fully certified bat shit insane. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Harley may be borderline crazy. Ric blew past borderline a long, long time ago. He's fully certified bat shit insane. 

Well, of course.  Isn't that why he spent time in the insane asylum?

Spoiler

It's still real to me!!!!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, MonteCarl said:

It's crazy to me to think of an 11 year old kid starting to watch wrestling today. To that kid who is 11 and watching today's product, the Attitude Era is farther away to him as the Bruno Sammartino Era was to me when I first started watching in the mid-80s. Those Bruno and other early 70's matches seemed ancient to me when they'd pop up on the occasional Coliseum Videos.

My oldest 2 kids are 11 and 10.  My 10-year-old LOVES WWE.  After WWE 2k15 (I think that was the one with the Attitude Era stuff), he started watching a few of the matches from that time on the Network.  I don't know how many times he told ne how different it seemed, but that they swore so much it made it seem like no big deal.  I guess in a way the occasional profanity in the PG era puts more heat on a feud like blood did back in the day, at least from a kid's perspective.

12 hours ago, Patrick B. said:

One of my local indies brings in the midgets on a semi-regular basis, even though Beautiful Bobby Dean and Little Kato do essentially the same match every time.  The fans eat it up.

Good for business and a fraction of the cost.