DVDVR Message Board

MAY 2016 WRESTLING DISCUSSION THREAD

14 minutes ago, Pete said:

I broke out the future endeavoring into its own thread on the WWE board.

That thread gets REALLY confusing on the second page, when guys are suddenly saying "When I get banned..." and "You're from Idaho?" a propos of nothing.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

Haha wait why am I Idaho?!

4 hours ago, Ramsey said:

If I ever get Cashed, it will be "who? Oh yeah....Idaho."

I'll remember you since you quoted me for your sig.

• Like 1

My thoughts on the releases:

Wade Barrett - One of the most misused stars ever who went from main eventer to a midcard geek to midcarder with a hot gimmick down to a midcard geek losing every week on Raw. He had everything WWE liked but they did everything they could to sabotage him. Nexus' loss to Team Cena and Cena beating him during his Nexus run were awful booking. I hope NJPW picks him up as he'd be perfect.

Sandow - Another victim of bad booking. Was maybe the 3rd or 4th most over person on the roster at one point but it was squandered after he split from Miz. No follow-up or anything. I think he's your stereotypical WWE guy - Good character wise and passable in ring.

Riley - A 3rd victim of bad booking. Noticing a trend? Was overpushed for a while and when he split from Miz, like Sandow, he was super over. What do they do? Job him and forget him about. Didn't he piss Cena off?

Santino - Was awesome in OVW as Boris Alexiev. I didn't like his initial intro when he won the IC title. I though he did really good and was THE comedy guy for the company. Didn't know he was still employed. I hope he heals up and he should be able to do indies forever. He had a good run.

Cameron - Should have never been hired. An idiot inside the ring and out. Luke, The guy missing his front teeth, Matt Cross and Rima weren't hired from that Tough Enough but she and Silent Rage were. Stupid.

Torito - Was hired for a role and he lost a job when he that role ended. Could have probably done comedy spots and maybe some matches, but he shouldn't have been shocked.

Hornswoggle - Pick the one who gets popped for a drug test failure - 1) Ryback, 2)Batista, 3)Hornswoggle. Yeah, OK. Had a pretty good run for really being nothing special. Overachieved.

Colter - Thought he did well with his role but was of course underused. Would have liked him to have seen him get a chance to be a serious manager.

10 hours ago, Cristobal said:

No one is from Idaho. The state is a lie.

Now I need to produce photgraphic proof. I now have a project for the weekend.

On ‎5‎/‎5‎/‎2016 at 9:55 AM, nate said:

It was mentioned earlier that Sasha Banks could pull off stuffed animals with shutter shades etc., and makeup.  My daughter would love the shit out of this!  Hell, I may make her a Sasha bear just for her enjoyment.

That was me but yeah I just don't think WWE is capitalizing on what they have with the women far as merch goes

So, every once in a while, I'll read through portions of Bret Hart's biography and I always thought the part about Stu Hart loving to bring in the midget wrestlers because they always sold a lot of tickets, which I thought was funny for a family that was such a proponent of serious pro wrestling.

So, last night I attended a local indy wrestling show that featured Mick Foley that was RIDICULOUSLY busy (Several rows of people standing because they had greatly outsold the number of tickets) and everyone was into the matches, and super-into Mick Foley's apperance, and all.  And then they brought out Short Sleeve Samson and Akeem to wrestle for the Midget Championship and the place became UNGLUED.  Chanting for Samson, booing Akeem, popping like crazy for every move, laughing manically at classic midget spots (The guy getting kicked off his opponent and dumped back onto the opponent when he lands in the ref's arms) and absolutely EXPLODING for Samson busting out The Worm.  So, even when the main event came along with Mick Foley using Socko and the like, it was still really loud, but not nearly as big as the noise for the Midget Title.

So, in short, Stu Hart was totally right.

• Like 3

On 5/6/2016 at 3:46 PM, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I'll remember you since you quoted me for your sig.

At least you guys have something. I've been on the board for 16 years and no one knows who I am.

My dad always told me about when he'd watch wrestling with his uncle and how said uncle was always so happy when the midgets showed up (them and the lady wrestlers if I recall correctly).  I think as long as they only show up every so often it is something that just works.

7 minutes ago, nate said:

Hey this just occurred to me: Where the hell have 3.0 (Parker/Matthews) been?  Seems like I haven't seen them anywhere this year.

I think they popped up in at least one match at the NXT tapings in Dallas. Not sure if it's aired yet, though, as I'm pretty far behind on NXT...

55 minutes ago, Shane said:

I think they popped up in at least one match at the NXT tapings in Dallas. Not sure if it's aired yet, though, as I'm pretty far behind on NXT...

I believe it aired 4/27. I watched it, just don't remember the date. I want more 3.0 in nxt. 

3 hours ago, A Guy Named Tracy said:

I can't be the only one who is picturing a bearded 4'6" white dude dressed in African garb wrestling Short Sleeve Sampson, can I? 

No, more like a black guy doing a Prince Nana gimmick.  Wearing a crown, waving to the crowd.  Two separate guys on opposite sides of the hall shouted "Whatchu talkin' bout Willis?" at him and somehow both felt like what they had done was truly original and funny.

7 hours ago, caley said:

No, more like a black guy doing a Prince Nana gimmick.  Wearing a crown, waving to the crowd.  Two separate guys on opposite sides of the hall shouted "Whatchu talkin' bout Willis?" at him and somehow both felt like what they had done was truly original and funny.

001.png

• Like 1

19 hours ago, caley said:

So, every once in a while, I'll read through portions of Bret Hart's biography and I always thought the part about Stu Hart loving to bring in the midget wrestlers because they always sold a lot of tickets, which I thought was funny for a family that was such a proponent of serious pro wrestling.

So, last night I attended a local indy wrestling show that featured Mick Foley that was RIDICULOUSLY busy (Several rows of people standing because they had greatly outsold the number of tickets) and everyone was into the matches, and super-into Mick Foley's apperance, and all.  And then they brought out Short Sleeve Samson and Akeem to wrestle for the Midget Championship and the place became UNGLUED.  Chanting for Samson, booing Akeem, popping like crazy for every move, laughing manically at classic midget spots (The guy getting kicked off his opponent and dumped back onto the opponent when he lands in the ref's arms) and absolutely EXPLODING for Samson busting out The Worm.  So, even when the main event came along with Mick Foley using Socko and the like, it was still really loud, but not nearly as big as the noise for the Midget Title.

So, in short, Stu Hart was totally right.

Seconded - midgets draw for indies like you wouldn't fucking believe, especially if they've had any sort of TV exposure (which is pretty much all of them at this point, since - no pun intended - the talent pool is so small).

• Like 3

I always thought the part about Stu Hart loving to bring in the midget wrestlers because they always sold a lot of tickets, which I thought was funny for a family that was such a proponent of serious pro wrestling.

mqdefault.jpg

HE HAD A FAT WIFE AND NINE KIDS TO FEED, CALEY

• Like 1