DVDVR Message Board

MLB 2016 - MAY

Dolfan in NYC

On 5/28/2016 at 11:46 PM, sabremike said:

Also the idea that someone is an (insert team here) killer is one of these things that becomes a narative despite the fact that it defies logic. Do you think the sight of the Mets uniforms magically makes Utley a better hitter? Do you think what he did 8 years ago against pitchers long gone has a bearing on what he does today? In short the numbers have more to do with random luck than anything. 

Look at Mark Portugal's numbers against the Giants and then against everyone else. Dude was a Giant slayer before he became a Giant.

3 hours ago, Ryan said:

Statistical aberrations are fun.

My favorite was Greg Zaun had a lifetime BA against Greg Maddux of something like .700   

7 hours ago, muhammedboehm said:

Random record question. With NL teams playing in AL parks with the DH how do pitchers hit streaks work. For example an NL pitcher has five starts with five hits then for his sixth game starts in an AL park does that mean his hit streak ends?

That would require a pitcher to have a hitting streak, that probably doesn't happen often enough to warrant finding out.

Edit: That didn't take long. Doesn't answer the question necessarily, but I would assume the DH rule means they just exclude it until he pitches in a game he can hit in again. Also, Carlos Zambrano! 13-game streak!

http://www.baseball-reference.com/blog/archives/9814

5 minutes ago, Ryan said:

That would require a pitcher to have a hitting streak, that probably doesn't happen often enough to warrant finding out.

Edit: That didn't take long. Doesn't answer the question necessarily, but I would assume the DH rule means they just exclude it until he pitches in a game he can hit in again. Also, Carlos Zambrano! 13-game streak!

http://www.baseball-reference.com/blog/archives/9814

with 3 HR no less!

Also kind of amazing, out of 74 pitchers with an 8-game or longer hitting streak, only five happened after 1980.

5 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

My favorite was Greg Zaun had a lifetime BA against Greg Maddux of something like .700   

Greg Maddux had the only stolen base in one month for the Padres in 2008. I believe in July. He also became the oldest pitcher to ever steal a base, I'm not sure if that still holds up, one would think it would unless Jamie Moyer was regularly trying.

2 minutes ago, Ryan said:

Greg Maddux had the only stolen base in one month for the Padres in 2008. I believe in July. He also became the oldest pitcher to ever steal a base, I'm not sure if that still holds up, one would think it would unless Jamie Moyer was regularly trying.

Bartolo Colon has just unlocked a new side mission.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, muhammedboehm said:

Random record question. With NL teams playing in AL parks with the DH how do pitchers hit streaks work. For example an NL pitcher has five starts with five hits then for his sixth game starts in an AL park does that mean his hit streak ends?

Hitting streaks only end when a player has at least one official AB or sacrifice fly in a game but does not get a hit.  So, no, it wouldn't end in your example. 

On 5/28/2016 at 5:22 PM, Infinit said:

What about those Blue Jays? Looks like those bats are finally coming alive. 

I just worry if the bats fully wake up it will coincide with the starting pitching sliding back to where people thought it would be.  We are only a few weeks away from Drew Hutchison, Gavin Floyd or Jesse Chavez being in this starting rotation

• Like 1

Alex Guerrero DFA'd by LAD, Alex Wood to the DL and Urias recalled. I don't see any possibility for Guerrero not to clear waivers, so I assume he will get released and they will eat his deal unless there is an AL team that wants to see if he can be a DH. The only hang up with that plan is that he's only hit like .136 in his rehab starts across three levels in the Minors. Probably not a lot of interest in a DH that looks like he can't actually hit.

I will forever appreciate the bat he displayed until June of last year, but other than that, he hasn't done much beyond getting part of his ear bit off by Miguel Olivo. Not much of a defender at any position they've used him at, and obviously his offense is pretty much non-existent..

I feel bad for Wood, who has seemed to turn a corner starting with his last start in April, it seemed as if he finally had it all figured out and was beginning to look like the pitcher that people have been expecting him to develop into.

7 hours ago, Infinit said:

Grilli had some pretty great years for the Bucs...hopefully he regains that forms. 

Only issue I have is he has lost velocity which is what Drew Storen is going through this year and he gives up a lot of fly balls.  Those have a habit of flying out of the dome.  No complaints it cost nothing really player wise and hardly anything financially.  If he can pitch a clean inning here and there its a win.  Good that they are trying to be proactive about getting some help for the pen.  I dont want to see Ryan Tepera anymore.  Beginning to look like Franklin Morales isn't going to pitch for them this year