DVDVR Message Board

MLB 2016 - MAY

Dolfan in NYC

Five Thirty Eight:

By run differential, the Cubs’ start ties for fourth-best in MLB’s modern era(going back to 1900). But that fun fact doesn’t quite do their dominance justice, because MLB is also currently in an epoch of incredible parity, with the spread of talent between teams smaller than it’s ever been. If you adjust for how bunched-up team run differentials have become in recent years, the Cubs are off to the strongest 24-game start since _at least_ 1950.

Spoiler

south-park-randy-marsh-internet-Over-Log

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sabremike said:

How stupid do you have to be to fail one of these tests? Seriously, anyone with even a cursory knowledge of these things has to know which stuff will get you popped and what won't.

One theory

On the heels of several recent PED suspensions, several additional players are expected to receive 80-game bans as a result of positive tests, according to a report form ESPN.com’s T.J. Quinn. Player identities are not known, but Quinn notes on Twitter that no major names are believed to be involved.

Interestingly, he notes, several of the recently busted players were caught with the steroid turinabol. That substance is known more for its role in pumping up eastern bloc Olympic athletes in the seventies than for cutting-edge performance enhancement.

It’s not entirely clear why that’s occurred, but Quinn notes that advances in testing have almost certainly played a role. While it used to be that turinabol could only be detected within about one week of its use, traces can now be found in a much larger window. With several players caught during Spring Training, when testing would be anticipated, it could simply be that drug handlers were not caught unprepared.

Beyond that link, though, Quinn says the recent run of suspensions — which has included, most notably, Dee Gordon and Chris Colabello — doesn’t appear to revolve around any single nexus, as occurred in the Biogenesis case.

Looking forward, Quinn says that the unnamed players who triggered positive tests have been informed of their pending suspensions and are in various phases of the “administrative process.” While it’s unclear how many of those names currently appear on big league rosters, any 40-man members would have the chance to initiate a grievance to challenge any suspension, potentially adding more delay before any bans are officially applied and announced.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2016/05/additional-ped-suspensions-expected.html

The Marlins - Pirates games that were scheduled to be played in Puerto Rico have been moved back to Miami due to concerns about the Zika virus. 

• Like 1

Manfred says Montreal & Mexico, DF would be the front runners for any expansion in his mind.  Also hinted at realignment for the current teams

I think the closest MLB gets to new Mexico City team is Oakland becoming the Austin Athletics. 

20 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Manfred says Montreal & Mexico, DF would be the front runners for any expansion in his mind.  Also hinted at realignment for the current teams

I think the closest MLB gets to new Mexico City team is Oakland becoming the Austin Athletics. 

How funny would it be if the Raiders move to Vegas and then the A's move there also

It absolutely baffles me that the Jays are a game over .500. I swear that every time I check the score or watch a game, they have lost. If you held a gun to my head, I'd have told you they were 10-20 or so.

• Like 2

The Stros have sent Evan Gattis to AA to refresh himself at Catcher as they are going to start using him their part time at least

2 hours ago, RIPPA said:

The Stros have sent Evan Gattis to AA to refresh himself at Catcher as they are going to start using him their part time at least

He couldn't catch two years ago with the Braves. So now the Astros think he'll suddenly be great at it a couple months shy of 30.

4 hours ago, RIPPA said:

One could say that David Ortiz was not pleased last night

Pablo being gone means Ortiz has to find his own Twinkies.

He'll be eating Panda Burgers soon enough. Image is from Frisky Dingo, so don't bitch. Just imagine Xander Cruz is Papi and the Panda is Sandoval. The tiny Asian people can be interpreters for the Chinese press or something.

OTNqzf5.jpg

I am loving every single thing Yasiel is doing this year, on the field and off. He posted pics of he and Gonzalez fishing the other morning. They landed a couple pretty decent sized fish.

Kershaw does it again today, goes 7, scatters 8 H, allows 2 ER and K's 10. 4 straight games of double digit K's. Now has 64 on the year to 3 BB. K/BB ratio of 21.33!!

Joc tomahawked a Dickey pitch about 435 feet or so. It was goddamn impressive.

Pillar made a motherfucker of a catch, he's pretty fun to watch.

Stripling-Estrada tomorrow, I'm hoping the kid can go deeper than he has in his last 3, he hasn't gotten to the 5th since 4/25.

Now that I'm done rambling, maybe some of you can help me out. I'm watching WAS-CHC, and I see this zip up parka in the booth:

(Sorry for the garbage image, it's the best I could do while feeding the baby and from a weird angle.)

OIlJMj1.jpg

Any chance someone can ID the manufacturer for me? I had an LAD Starter parka just like it in like 1991, and I'd sure like to cop another one. If any of you could figure it out, if be forever in your debt. Unless of course they don't make it for warm weather teams, then I'll just be hella salty that I know who makes it, but can't get one with my squad's name on it.

Edited by grilledcheese
I'm an idiot, forgot to insert the photo.

It sort of looks like this thing, but it's a rain jacket not a parka. Maybe he's wearing thicker clothes under it.

pt2vaXL.jpg

• Like 1