DVDVR Message Board

NXT TV - 4/27/2016

RIPPA

45 minutes ago, JCM said:

Carmella and Bayley wrestled Eva and Nia not that long ago and it was terrible when Carmella was in the ring. Eva is the worst wrestler in WWE/NXT that gets regular tv time. I usually find her shitiness sort of amusing, but here she drug Asuka to her worst match in her very first appearance as the new champ. I do put some of the blame on the match layout because whoever decided to have the worst wrestler in the company get that much offense in on f'n Asuka needs their head examined.

It's really strange. They could've  layed it out in a way that made Askua look badass and Eva look resilient and pugnacious. Eva should've just gotten destroyed but kept going until she could use Nia as interference for the cutoffs. Give Eva a short heat segment, Askua comes back and chokes her out. Do it in like 8 minutes. I have no idea how long it went but it was too long.

2 hours ago, Cristobal said:

She made Cameron look competent? How? That match was nothing but an Asuka showcase, (which is not a complaint, it's what it was supposed to be.) She could have had that same match with Eva if she was going to take 90% of it, but that wasn't the match they set out to have this time.

Asuka is great, but slowing down to match a green opponent is not a skill I've seen from her in NXT. The best matches have been against experienced opponents (Bayley and Emma) or near-squashes where the whole point was to get Asuka over as a badass. I'm not saying she's trying to show Eva up, but that's the effect it had.

On their matches with Carmella, Carmella has improved a lot over the last 9 months, so I'm not sure that's a fair comparison either.

That Cameron match was a squash, though.  Cameron at least looked competent in getting her ass beat.  Asuka had to literally stand there for seconds at a time to wait for Eva to get her offense in.  Whoever planned out this match should be suspended for months. (Or whoever told them to plan it that way)  That match was 10 minutes, ffs.

Eva was perfectly fine in the Mania match and I remember it quite clearly because they were chanting "you can't wrestle" as she performed 4-5 moves consecutively without screwing up including a nice looking head scissor takedown.  If you want to say she isn't improving then I have to disagree.

14 hours ago, MarcosLoura said:

When was this stuff taped, was it after the Takeover? The crowd was deeeeeeeaaddddd apart from a few spots.

From what I hear, the crowd wasn't bad at all, it's just that it took place in the middle of a big hall so only the highest of spots registered.

The squash itself was a decent showcase for Asuka, the aftermath with Emma refusing to look at her sold the character perfectly.

It was a competitive squash that involved Dana doing a little more than just standing there and taking moves (which is a skill unto itself anyway). Yeah it probably would've been worse if it was as long as the Eva match, but it still shows Asuka can handle working with green wrestlers. Dana didn't exactly look like the next big thing before this match.

I don't think "having a good match with Eva Marie" should be a standard we evaluate anyone by because as of now, that would mean there are zero good women wrestlers in WWE.

51 minutes ago, Cristobal said:

No one is "evaluating" Asuka, whatever the hell that means in this context, based on this match. It just might have been a bit better if she'd slowed down a bit.

Not sure how she could have slowed down more than being at a complete stop, which is what she had to do.  It's not her fault she trained for years with people that don't have to think about how they're gonna run across the ring.  It's not Eva Marie's fault that WWE continues to put her in a position where the only outcome is her failure, but I'm not gonna throw heaps of blame on Asuka for that either.

• Like 2

Eva Marie is beyond terrible.  She still doesn't know how to sell.  The only time she acts hurt is when she does something that actually hurts, like taking sloppy bumps or getting stiffed.

At one point, Asuka had her in a hammerlock, and she just looked bored.

• Like 1

On ‎4‎/‎28‎/‎2016 at 6:26 PM, Niners Fan in CT said:

Eva was perfectly fine in the Mania match and I remember it quite clearly because they were chanting "you can't wrestle" as she performed 4-5 moves consecutively without screwing up including a nice looking head scissor takedown.  If you want to say she isn't improving then I have to disagree.

Hitting a few spots in a tag match is a lot different than working a 10 minute single match. She looked competent for one minute against Emma in a tag, and got exposed trying to work beyond her capabilities against Asuka.

In all fairness, Eva isn't even the most unimproved person in NXT, I reserve particular contempt for a certain Mr. Alex Riley. When watching Riley's antics convinces me that even with a bad back and no cartilage in my knees, I could probably do a better job at 58 than he does at thirty-something, the only conclusion is that the guy really, really sucks.

2 hours ago, OSJ said:

In all fairness, Eva isn't even the most unimproved person in NXT, I reserve particular contempt for a certain Mr. Alex Riley. When watching Riley's antics convinces me that even with a bad back and no cartilage in my knees, I could probably do a better job at 58 than he does at thirty-something, the only conclusion is that the guy really, really sucks.

BAFAi.gif

• Like 1

With some wrestlers, it's pretty obvious they weren't a fan growing up and if things turned out differently, they wouldn't be in wrestling. Wrestling was something they fell back on. That's the impression I get everytime I see Alex Riley.