DVDVR Message Board

NXT TV - 4/27/2016

RIPPA

Based on the way they tweeted it - it appears that they are only showing the finish of Balor/Joe

They have advertised Asuka/Eva Marie and Nakamura/Drifter on Twitter so it does look like all the leftover post-Mania stuff

Holy shit, that Revival squash is on my short list of favorite squashes of all time. Equal parts violent and funny. 

The commentary was cracking me up all night, too. Phillips being so sardonic about Eva Marie's wrestling ability was genuinely funny. Plus, Graves crediting wanting to get away from this tag team with Mojo as the reason that Ryder was able to find it in himself to win the IC title at WM was maybe the line of the year so far on NXT commentary. 

This show was good and Nakamura was on it, so yeah, fun sixty (fifty-three!) minutes. 

Yeah the Revival squash was glorious. I want to see the big mouth jobber against Joe next.

Eva got way too much offense against Asuka. Eva stinks and it makes Asuka look bad having to sell for her.

That was a really strong showing from Aliyah. I was more impressed by her than I've been with all the other new girls over the past several months.

Main event was what the Asuka/Eva match should've been. Good showing from the Drifter, and Swagsuke is the most entertaining performer in WWE.

Eva vs. Asuka was a lot of fun, largely due to how the crowd reacted and to see Asuka wrestle circles around her at all times. The Revival vs. Jamokes #1 and #2 match perfect. It was EXACTLY what the fucking Bullet Club needed and didn't get. The Nakamura match was a blast, and every single thing he does entertains me since he's so good at the little things. Loved the Revival just kicking ass not only in their match, but after the Hype Bros. one as well.

http://jayreviewsthings.blogspot.com/2016/04/wwe-nxt-4-27-16.html

Screens -

925737480247604.jpg

22c3da480247609.jpg

f70338480247632.jpg

0bad10480247683.jpg

f381f1480247950.jpg

73f312480247962.jpg

6c971e480247970.jpg

01963f480247990.jpg

7384cd480248024.jpg

http://www.imagebam.com/gallery/cd6upgkwsqrvth9mm2qf5h2hah4m58ai

My big takeaway is they either have miracle workers at the PC or all that footage Aaliyah filmed for Breaking Ground was faked.  She looked great for a TV* debut. (*Apart from that Battle Royal)  Revival picked up the "Beautifully Violent" squash ball that Emma dropped when she went up, perfectly.

Aaliyah looks like she has some promise. She already looked way better than Eva, and at worst equal to Carmella.

"Jamoke #2" needs to be a regular jobber. That guy was hilarious and got the crowd into a routine squash.

I'm glad they'll be heading back to Full Sail now, though. These last few shows felt pretty mailed-in and the crowd was bad too, nothing like the Takeover crowd.

Graves was the MVP of this episode. (Thundercats ref helps.)

The heavy in Team Jamoke was a darn good cheerleader, totally would love to see more of him.

Aliyah, another tiny gal who can be a great heel. And, yeah, she looked way more competent than she did during Breaking Ground (she seems to have better ring awareness than Carmella).

Wait... did the Drifter actually look at the camera? Like, I can't remember the last time that happening during a backstage interview in NXT.

Put me in the "no idea who 3.0 are" camp but I thought they were great.  I legit couldn't tell if the Revival were playing off his chants or were just that annoyed by them.

I think that was one of my favorite regular NXT episodes in a long time.  They crammed a lot in an hour and I don't think there was really any dead spots.  Very fun show.

8 minutes ago, sydneybrown said:

I legit couldn't tell if the Revival were playing off his chants or were just that annoyed by them.

I wondered that too, Dawson just unloading on the louder dude once he got tagged in seemed reminiscent of old 80s NWA job matches where you could tell the star of the match was in a surly mood, and Dash just shoving his foot into his chest after the finish. I had in my head for a little bit that I just watched Midnight Express vs. Wee Willie Wilkins for the 2016 generation.

• Like 1

I'm not sure Aliyah is better than Eva Marie yet. She looked better on this show, but I think that might be partially due to their opponents. Wrestling Asuka highlighted a particular weakness of Eva's: how slow she is. 

In order to not fuck up moves, (which I can't remember her doing in this match,) she needs to take it slow, which is extremely noticeable in there with Asuka, who works at a faster pace than any other woman on the roster. There were several times Asuka got herself into position to take something and she had to wait for Eva to catch up. That's not exactly a positive for Eva, but it is progress.

9 minutes ago, Cristobal said:

I'm not sure Aliyah is better than Eva Marie yet. She looked better on this show, but I think that might be partially due to their opponents. Wrestling Asuka highlighted a particular weakness of Eva's: how slow she is. 

In order to not fuck up moves, (which I can't remember her doing in this match,) she needs to take it slow, which is extremely noticeable in there with Asuka, who works at a faster pace than any other woman on the roster. There were several times Asuka got herself into position to take something and she had to wait for Eva to catch up. That's not exactly a positive for Eva, but it is progress.

That's true of all the WWE women outside of Asuka though (and all neophytes regardless of gender). The better ones only really slow down when doing more complex shit (think of the first five minutes of the Mania match, which was sloppy as hell) but the green workers slow down for Irish whips. It's part of my problem with Bayley, the majority of her stuff is done at half speed.

1 hour ago, MarcosLoura said:

When was this stuff taped, was it after the Takeover? The crowd was deeeeeeeaaddddd apart from a few spots.

Apparently this was the very first stuff taped on the Saturday, and there was all sorts of other stuff going on in the hall, so the people who were actually interested hadn't really arrived yet for this.

5 hours ago, Norwegian Rudo said:

Do people really not know 3.0? They're Montreal buddies of Zayn and Steen and have been around on the indies for a long time. They were Chikara regulars off and on for years.

This post needs to be saved for the next time we have to hear "you only like so and so because they were in (insert indy promotion I've never watched here) and want them pushed over homegrown talent".

As for the Aliyah/Eva comparison Aliyah looks a million times more fluid and natural in the ring and is light years better. Eva and Carmella had dog shit chemistry while Alyiah had a decent match with her. Saying Eva looked worse because she was wrestling Asuka(the woman that made Cameron seem competent) is just silly.

She made Cameron look competent? How? That match was nothing but an Asuka showcase, (which is not a complaint, it's what it was supposed to be.) She could have had that same match with Eva if she was going to take 90% of it, but that wasn't the match they set out to have this time.

Asuka is great, but slowing down to match a green opponent is not a skill I've seen from her in NXT. The best matches have been against experienced opponents (Bayley and Emma) or near-squashes where the whole point was to get Asuka over as a badass. I'm not saying she's trying to show Eva up, but that's the effect it had.

On their matches with Carmella, Carmella has improved a lot over the last 9 months, so I'm not sure that's a fair comparison either.

Carmella and Bayley wrestled Eva and Nia not that long ago and it was terrible when Carmella was in the ring. Eva is the worst wrestler in WWE/NXT that gets regular tv time. I usually find her shitiness sort of amusing, but here she drug Asuka to her worst match in her very first appearance as the new champ. I do put some of the blame on the match layout because whoever decided to have the worst wrestler in the company get that much offense in on f'n Asuka needs their head examined.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Norwegian Rudo said:

Do people really not know 3.0? They're Montreal buddies of Zayn and Steen and have been around on the indies for a long time. They were Chikara regulars off and on for years.

I wish 3.0 were still working Chikara, but I would like to see more of them in nxt. I like when they worked as Chad and Brad Badd. The answer to ending their losing ways was wearing denim and acting like bikers.