DVDVR Message Board

2016 Summer Blockbuster Movie Pool

S.K.o.S.

45 minutes ago, EVA said:

I maintain that the road map to The Movies Formerly Known As Infinity War that Marvel unveiled a year or so ago has actively undermined the box office for these movies.  They're still big, but there's no sense of urgency, that if you don't go to the theater you're going to miss something huge, because people know that nothing really matters until those other movies down the line.  So a lot of people elect to just catch it "whenever," whether that's in the theater or at home.

It has gotten to the point where I am waiting for a movie with Shailene Woodley and Theo James to be called "Detergent".

The X-Men movies still make money, but I think they have lost their juice with the causal crowd now.

I like the idea of The Nice Guys coming in first on the Rotten Tomatoes list, and last on the Box Office list

Do you guys think Finding Dory is going outdraw Zooptopia at the Box Office?  I think it's safe to say it won't beat it on Rotten Tomato scale.

Conjuring 2 isn't my thing, but the commercials have been on point for that sort of haunted house thing. It also has the whole horror market to itself and anytime you can put out a film that has a market temporarily cornered that's probably not a bad thing.

Warcraft looks really bad. Video game movies now are where comic book films were in the 80's. Hollywood is completely tone deaf to the source material and needs an intervention in the worst way.

On 05/06/2016 at 2:54 PM, RIPPA said:

And for the purposes of this contest - Angry Birds won't make $100 million. Thank God

Not sure why this stuck in my mind as something I had to go back to, but it's at $89m right now with 9 days left, and made close to $1m this past Monday.  It could totally get there.

On 6/7/2016 at 11:56 AM, Death From Above said:

Conjuring 2 isn't my thing, but the commercials have been on point for that sort of haunted house thing. It also has the whole horror market to itself and anytime you can put out a film that has a market temporarily cornered that's probably not a bad thing.

Warcraft looks really bad. Video game movies now are where comic book films were in the 80's. Hollywood is completely tone deaf to the source material and needs an intervention in the worst way.

Even then, it seems likely to be the same problem simply because video games have gotten movies for 25 years now, and even getting a new era of video game fans ready to be fair to the source material...the source material may not be GOOD ENOUGH to make good movies.  Even the best video games, by the fact they need to let people play through it themselves, don't have good enough story to be a good movie...and if a movie is good enough story-wise to possibly have one.

It may be getting close to enough time to say it's less "Hollywood is tone deaf to the source material" and into "It may not be POSSIBLE to make a good movie out of a video game".

I'm curious to see how the ASSASSIN'S CREED and UNCHARTED movies turn out.  On the surface, those seem like more story-friendly games that would lend themselves to becoming movies more easily.  But we'll see.

Then again, I thought something similar about HITMAN and that's churned out two pretty dire movies.  (Well, in fairness I didn't see the most recent one, but the trailers looked pretty damn dire...) 

8 hours ago, S.K.o.S. said:

Not sure why this stuck in my mind as something I had to go back to, but it's at $89m right now with 9 days left, and made close to $1m this past Monday.  It could totally get there.

Well why the fuck is it making $1.3 million on a Tuesday?

Fucking future of this country

I am actually not shocked by that as the first sequel on a horror franchise will do well out of the gate, NYSM2 really does seem to come off as the sequel no one wanted and Warcraft was always going to be a coin flip

I am always more surprised when Horror movies do well outside of like October and February

UPDATE 5 OF 17 - through June 9

Standings
1 [ 2] CSC - 0 points (0/0, tiebreak n/a)
2 [ 10] Skeeball Wizard - 4 points (0/4, tiebreak n/a)
3 [ 4] Control - 4 points (2/2, tiebreak n/a)
4 [ 3] The Natural - 6 points (2/4, tiebreak 0.741)
5 [- 5] ivpvideos - 6 points (4/2, tiebreak n/a)
6 [ 1] King Leonidas of Sparta - 6 points (4/2, tiebreak n/a)
7 [ 6] JRGoldman - 6 points (2/4, tiebreak n/a)
8 [ 12] The Z - 8 points (4/4, tiebreak n/a)
9 [ 13] EVA - 8 points (4/4, tiebreak n/a)
10 [ 16] Lacelle - 8 points (4/4, tiebreak n/a)
11 [ 14] DreamBroken - 10 points (2/8, tiebreak n/a)
12 [ 17] bazzil - 10 points (0/10, tiebreak n/a)
13 [ 7] J.T. - 10 points (2/8, tiebreak n/a)
14 [ 19] S.K.o.S. - 10 points (4/6, tiebreak n/a)
15 [ 8] Elsalvajeloco - 10 points (4/6, tiebreak n/a)
16 [ 9] Kevin Wilson - 10 points (6/4, tiebreak n/a)
17 [ 11] Paco - 12 points (4/8, tiebreak 0.374)
18 [ 15] Death From Above - 12 points (4/8, tiebreak n/a)
19 [ 21] Sublime - 14 points (4/10, tiebreak n/a)
20 [ 18] RossWB - 14 points (6/8, tiebreak n/a)
21 [ 22] Rippa - 16 points (4/12, tiebreak n/a)
22 [ 20] SorceressKnight - 16 points (4/12, tiebreak n/a)
23 [- 23] Hail Sabin - 18 points (4/14, tiebreak 0.126)

Box office
1 [- 1] Captain America: Civil War - $381,349,157 (28 days)
2 [- 2] X-Men: Apocalypse - $126,374,195 (14 days)
3 [- 3] Angry Birds - $91,469,623 (21 days)
4 [ 5] Alice Through The Looking Glass - $56,892,611 (14 days)
5 [ 4] Neighbors 2 - $50,968,225 (21 days)
6 [NEW] Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out of the Shadows - $46,239,783 (7 days)
7 [ 6] The Nice Guys - $30,542,192 (21 days)

Rotten Tomatoes
1 [- 1] The Nice Guys - 196/216 = 91% (21 days)
2 [- 2] Captain America: Civil War - 278/310 = 90% (28 days)
3 [- 3] Neighbors 2 - 100/161 = 62% (21 days)
4 [- 4] X-Men: Apocalypse - 123/260 = 47% (14 days)
5 [- 5] Angry Birds - 56/132 = 42% (21 days)
6 [NEW] Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out of the Shadows - 41/121 = 34% (7 days)
7 [ 6] Alice Through The Looking Glass - 57/195 = 29% (14 days)

• Like 1

The one negative review for Finding Dory is from the dude from Hollywood Reporter and it basically is "No sequel to Finding Nemo could ever be good"

On Friday, June 10, 2016 at 4:45 PM, Control said:

Pretty sure my spot is still due to late entry.

that was quite the rise for Skeeball wizard.

Not to worry, my late game free fall is still in the cards. But then, who knows with how this Sumner box office is going, just all over the place weird.