DVDVR Message Board

2016 Summer Blockbuster Movie Pool

S.K.o.S.

Player whose box office list is most similar to the average box office list: Kevin Wilson
Player whose box office list is most different from the average box office list: Control
Player whose Rotten Tomatoes list is most similar to the average Rotten Tomatoes list: The Natural
Player whose Rotten Tomatoes list is most different from the average Rotten Tomatoes list: SorceressKnight

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Control said:

That can't be good.

Well to be fair - you didn't have access to 4 movies including the one that almost everyone had 1 or 2 in both their Box office and RT list

Angry Birds was one of the most omitted movies from the box office list, with 10 of 22 people leaving it off, so for most people this won't be a big deal.

I had it at seventh on my box office list, strictly because some kids I know are still pretty into Angry Birds.  SorceressKnight had it at 3rd and Skeeball Wizard had it at 5th; the other 9 people who put it on their list all had it at 11th or lower.

Actually now that I'm looking at the numbers, Angry Birds only did $38 million domestic for the weekend.  Rippa's number might have been the early worldwide estimate?  Looks like they loved it in China.

6 minutes ago, S.K.o.S. said:

Actually now that I'm looking at the numbers, Angry Birds only did $38 million domestic for the weekend.  Rippa's number might have been the early worldwide estimate?  Looks like they loved it in China.

It was the headline of a story that didn't specify.

I was too enraged to click on the link

I feel better now

• Like 1

Alice's RT ratings still blows but it is better than Angry Birds.  That still won't help my ballot.  I thought that even a weird movie under the Disney umbrella could pull off at least a 60%ish Freshness Rating

Review embargos usually mean shitty reviews which will actually pay off for my ballot if the reviews are not terribly horrible.  I still need Angry Birds to be shittier than Warcraft.

The decent reviews for Neighbors 2 are what will kill my ballot.

I am gambling on WARCRAFT being a huge flop.

You know, I usually don't do well in this event, and when I'm down near the bottom of the list, I usually end up looking back at my original rankings and thinking "yeah, that still looks right to me."

Before and as I did my list, I thought complete and utter flop.

Now I'm thinking, with the fanbase and some films being tough to pick up on until hard numbers are out the week of release, it does solid numbers the first week before completely nosediving every week after. 

As for RT, it's going to get savaged by the critics. They will be out for blood and tears on this one.  It's just a question of: Fantastic Four "franchise DOA/Happy Madison Productions" savaged or Tomorrowland "the director tried but what can you do" savaged? That might kill a lot of the people in the contest.

I don't know how to predict Warcraft at the box office so I didn't rank it. I can't imagine based on the ads it's actually good. First of all, the games appear to have the vastly superior soundtrack which should be a big red flag. Second of all to put Warcraft into a movie means cutting bare minimum 99% of Warcraft's story, so... (silly boy, actually thinks Hollywood would stick to the story, these people blew Prince of fucking Persia which has a fool proof movie story)

UPDATE 3 OF 17 - through May 26

Standings
1 [ 3] The Natural - 0 points (0/0, tiebreak n/a)
2 [ 12] J.T. - 0 points (0/0, tiebreak n/a)
3 [ 13] King Leonidas of Sparta - 0 points (0/0, tiebreak n/a)
4 [ 20] Skeeball Wizard - 0 points (0/0, tiebreak n/a)
5 [ 22] Control - 0 points (0/0, tiebreak n/a)
6 [ 2] Paco - 2 points (0/2, tiebreak 0.466)
7 [ 4] The Z - 2 points (0/2, tiebreak n/a)
8 [ 5] Sublime - 2 points (0/2, tiebreak n/a)
9 [ 7] EVA - 2 points (0/2, tiebreak n/a)
10 [- 10] Rippa - 2 points (0/2, tiebreak n/a)
11 [- 11] bazzil - 2 points (0/2, tiebreak n/a)
12 [ 15] Lacelle - 2 points (0/2, tiebreak n/a)
13 [ 17] Elsalvajeloco - 2 points (0/2, tiebreak n/a)
14 [ 18] Kevin Wilson - 2 points (2/0, tiebreak n/a)
15 [ 21] JRGoldman - 2 points (0/2, tiebreak n/a)
16 [ 1] Hail Sabin - 4 points (0/4, tiebreak 0.068)
17 [ 6] ivpvideos - 4 points (2/2, tiebreak n/a)
18 [ 8] DreamBroken - 4 points (0/4, tiebreak n/a)
19 [ 9] Death From Above - 4 points (2/2, tiebreak n/a)
20 [ 14] RossWB - 4 points (0/4, tiebreak n/a)
21 [ 16] S.K.o.S. - 4 points (2/2, tiebreak n/a)
22 [ 19] SorceressKnight - 4 points (0/4, tiebreak n/a)

Box office
1 [- 1] Captain America: Civil War - $314,276,153 (21 days)
2 [NEW] Angry Birds - $47,653,309 (7 days)
3 [NEW] Neighbors 2 - $29,236,580 (7 days)
4 [NEW] The Nice Guys - $15,363,672 (7 days)

Rotten Tomatoes
1 [NEW] The Nice Guys - 156/172 = 91% (7 days)
2 [ 1] Captain America: Civil War - 275/307 = 90% (21 days)
3 [NEW] Neighbors 2 - 92/147 = 63% (7 days)
4 [NEW] Angry Birds - 52/122 = 43% (7 days)

• Like 1

Alice Through The Looking Glass bombed with an estimated $28m for the weekend, down just a tad from 2010's Alice In Wonderland which had a first weekend of $110m.  (Although a $28m first weekend is a better showing than Neighbors 2 or Nice Guys.)

People who had Alice at, let's say, 10th or lower on their box office list: Natural, Rippa, King Leonidas, and Elsalvajeloco.  ivpvideos and Death From Above left it off their box office list.  The rest of us are in varying degrees of trouble.  I personally put it at 4th.

• Like 2

I have it at #2. Might as well throw in the towel now. I already screwed up royally with X-Men and Angry Birds, but my hope was still that everyone else screwed up just as bad as me.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, S.K.o.S. said:

Alice Through The Looking Glass bombed with an estimated $28m for the weekend, down just a tad from 2010's Alice In Wonderland which had a first weekend of $110m.  (Although a $28m first weekend is a better showing than Neighbors 2 or Nice Guys.)

People who had Alice at, let's say, 10th or lower on their box office list: Natural, Rippa, King Leonidas, and Elsalvajeloco.  ivpvideos and Death From Above left it off their box office list.  The rest of us are in varying degrees of trouble.  I personally put it at 4th.

Fuck yeah! 

• Like 1

On 27/05/2016 at 9:24 PM, S.K.o.S. said:

UPDATE 3 OF 17 - through May 26

Standings
1 [ 3] The Natural - 0 points (0/0, tiebreak n/a)
2 [ 12] J.T. - 0 points (0/0, tiebreak n/a)
3 [ 13] King Leonidas of Sparta - 0 points (0/0, tiebreak n/a)
4 [ 20] Skeeball Wizard - 0 points (0/0, tiebreak n/a)
5 [ 22] Control - 0 points (0/0, tiebreak n/a)
6 [ 2] Paco - 2 points (0/2, tiebreak 0.466)

Get the fuck in! Making most of this as it might not last, heh.