DVDVR Message Board

2016 Summer Blockbuster Movie Pool

S.K.o.S.

Just now, Elsalvajeloco said:

The premiere is tomorrow and it's showing at the Cannes on the 15th.

Ah, okay. I assumed (wrongly!) that there had been screenings already.  Thanks for the update.

7 hours ago, Chaos said:

I forgot to do this last year.

I'll try and get something done tomorrow or Wednesday in time for this week. I hate I missed doing this prior to Civil War, which has probably claimed the #1 slot on RT if not in Box Office.

Would love more players, but keep in mind that it doesn't have to be in this week.  The next movie in the pool doesn't come out until May 20th.

Oh yeah - that Apoclypse score is going to bone a lot of people.

Because that is like 27 reviews already so it ain't reaching the same heights as Days of Future Past

Well good to know I'm already out of this year and only one movie has officially been released

• Like 1

Scott Mendelson called it a "franchise-killing disaster" in a somewhat spoilery review.

Bryan Singer’s would-be trilogy capper is a shocking miss. It is a lifeless and hollow shell of a picture, lacking exciting action, strong character interplay, or compelling storytelling. It is the nadir of the franchise, determined to make you apologize for every mean thing you’ve ever said about Brett Ratner’s rushed X-Men trilogy capper a decade ago. X-Men: The Last Stand is X2: X-Men United compared to X-Men: Apocalypse.

• Like 1

X-Men: Apocalypse is going to fuck up a lot of people, myself included. Fucking hell. I had it high as Bryan Singer was 3-0 with X-Men films, the streak of X-Men films from X-Men: First Class’ return to form to Deadpool and the early review embargo.

On 4/26/2016 at 11:55 AM, S.K.o.S. said:

Returning for its ninth year, it's the Summer Blockbuster Movie Pool!

Below are 20 movies set to be released this summer. You need to make two lists:

List 1: Choose 15 of the 20 movies and rank them from highest to lowest according to the domestic box office gross you think each movie will make through its first 4 weeks (28 days) of release. Note that you're not trying to leave out the 5 movies you think will do the worst; just leave out the 5 that you feel least confident about ranking. Also, you don't need to guess how much money they'll make - just rank them. I'll be using boxofficemojo.com as the source for how much money each movie makes.

List 2: Choose 15 of the 20 movies (doesn't have to be the exact same 15 as your first list) and rank them from highest to lowest according to the rating you think each movie will have on rottentomatoes.com after it's been out for 4 weeks. Again, you're not necessarily trying to leave out the five worst movies.

Scoring: Your two lists will be compared with the actual ranks of the 15 movies, and your score will be the sum of the absolute values of the differences between the rank you gave to each movie and its correct rank. LOWEST score wins.

Tiebreaking: In addition to your two lists, pick any one of the twenty movies and post exactly how much money you think it'll make domestically, in dollars, in its first 28 days of release.  If two or more people end up with the same number of points, the person whose dollar figure is closer to correct (on a percentage basis) will be ranked ahead of the other.  If that still results in a tie, then the person who posted their entry earlier will be ranked ahead of the other. Also, if two or more movies end up tied in box office gross right down to the dollar (pretty much impossible, but just in case), or end up with the exact same rating on Rotten Tomatoes, the ranking of those two movies will be set to whatever is more favorable for each individual person.

BOX OFFICE: 

1- Finding Dory

2- Suicide Squad- $200 million

3- The Angry Birds Movie

4-  Ice Age: Collision Course

5- Ghostbusters

6- Star Trek: Beyond

7- TMNT: Out of the Shadows

8- Jason Bourne

9-  Alice Through the Looking Glass

10- Central Intelligence

11- Independence Day: Resurgence

12- Warcraft

13- The Conjuring 2

14- Neighbors 2: Sorority Rising

15- Now You See Me 2

ROTTEN TOMATOES:

1- Finding Dory

2- X-Men: Apocalypse

3- Jason Bourne

4- Ice Age: Collision Course

5- The Angry Birds Movie

6- Star Trek Beyond

7- Suicide Squad

8- The Conjuring 2

9- TMNT: Out of the Shadows

10- Central Intelligence

11- Neighbors 2: Sorority Rising

12- Independence Day: Resurgence

13- The Nice Guys

14- Warcraft

15- Ghostbusters

It's the most wonderful time, of the year...

Box Office

1. Finding Dory

2. X-Men: Apocalypse

3. Independence Day: Resurgence

4. The BFG

5. Angry Birds

6. Alice Through the Looking Glass

7. Suicide Squad

8. Star Trek Beyond

9. Ghostbusters

10. Ice Age: Collision Course

11. Central Intelligence

12. Now You See Me 2

13. Neighbors 2: Sorority Rising

14. The Conjuring 2 

15. The Nice Guys

Rotten Tomatoes

1. Finding Dory

2. The BFG

3. The Nice Guys

4. Suicide Squad

5. Neighbors 2: Sorority Rising

6. Star Trek Beyond

7. Jason Bourne

8. Independence Day Resurgence

9. Ghostbusters

10. Central Intelligence

11. Alice Through the Looking Glass

12. Angry Birds

13. The Conjuring 2

14. X Men Apocalypse

15. Warcraft

Tiebreaker Now You See Me 2: $56,000,000

Rotten Tomato rankings for upcoming films.

The Angry Birds Movie: 50%

X-Men -  Apocalypse:      53%

Alice - Through The Looking Glass:  22%

Fuck...

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, The Z said:

Alice Through the Looking Glass is at 22% (9 votes). Cold be a contender for the very bottom.

Yes, but I think that most of us were counting on The Angry Birds Movie to be the Complete Shit Film of the Summer, not Alice.

• Like 1

Angry Birds only has 16 reviews - usually when the movie hits wide release and the early reviews are in the middle, it goes down.

Now it might not fall to the 20s where I was hoping it would but 30ish should minimize the damage

Apocalypse climbing to 53% bucks this trend for now

So I am not as panicked about my RT list as I was over the weekend - that could change though

3 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Wait - 22% is a free pass?

I am so confused

He is in the same boat as I am.  Alice being complete shit will hurt our lists far more than Apocalypse being meh will.

Without looking it up, I feel like the bloom has been off that rose for a while.  Dark Shadows didn't do well, and I don't think critics exactly loved the first Alice either.

edit: Okay I see what you're saying.  My two examples were the last two Depp/Burton movies, but everything before that was good.  So you could maybe have argued that those were blips.

RT

1. Finding Dory

2. Jason Bourne

3. The Conjuring 2

4. The BFG

5. Neighbors 2

6. Nice Guys

7. X Men: Apocolypse

8. Central Intelligence

9. Now You See Me 2

10. Tarzan

11. Angry Birds

12. Ice Age

13. Alice Through the Looking Glass

14. TMNT2

15. Warcraft

Box Office

1. Independence Day 2

2. Finding Dory 

3. X Men

4. Alice

5. Suicide Squad

6. Jason Bourne

7. Ghostbusters

8. Central Intelligence

9. Star Trek

10. TMNT 2

11. Neighbors 2

12. Ice Age

13. The Conjuring 2

14. Now You See Me 2

15. Warcarft

Tiebreaker: Finding Dory: 375m

Edited by JRGoldman
Added tiebreaker after SKOS reminded me.