DVDVR Message Board

Good Will Wrestling: The DVDVR Edition

RIPPA

For context (and for those who didn't participate) - PWO is doing a Greatest Wrestler Ever poll.

Dean, Schneider and I all submitted ballots.

Will decided to get us all together to talk about our lists.

Trust me - you wanna listen (And it is less than THREE hours)

Then listen to all of Will's other podcasts

I listen to Will's stuff all the time (and Between the Sheets) on the way to and from work. This is getting a play after I get done with Wait Wait Don't Tell Me tomorrow. These podcasts are always good for helping me to discover something that I haven't seen before. 

I knew about this GWE project and wish that I knew even a hundredth as much as many of the folks posting ballots so that I could post one. As it is, my ballot would be all WWE, '80s JCP and Memphis stars, WoS, Portland, and '00s U.S. indy workers, i.e., stuff that I binged on YouTube and DailyMotion over the past three years, i.e. shitty and incomplete. 

On the other hand, I would have had the only Bryan/Breaks/Regal going 1-2-3 ballot that I never would have been able to intellectually defend, so there's that. 

I've been reading the reveal threads over at PWO and nah, too many people who have seen way more than I ever will. Maybe the next time. 

I love the match listings and arguments though. If anything, this project has sent me to NWA Classics, Youtube, etc., to watch more stuff. 

Looking forward to hearing this podcast. Plus, RIPPA likes a lot of the same things that I like, so I'm interested in his ballot. 

4 hours ago, Smelly McUgly said:

I listen to Will's stuff all the time (and Between the Sheets) on the way to and from work. This is getting a play after I get done with Wait Wait Don't Tell Me tomorrow. These podcasts are always good for helping me to discover something that I haven't seen before. 

I knew about this GWE project and wish that I knew even a hundredth as much as many of the folks posting ballots so that I could post one. As it is, my ballot would be all WWE, '80s JCP and Memphis stars, WoS, Portland, and '00s U.S. indy workers, i.e., stuff that I binged on YouTube and DailyMotion over the past three years, i.e. shitty and incomplete. 

On the other hand, I would have had the only Bryan/Breaks/Regal going 1-2-3 ballot that I never would have been able to intellectually defend, so there's that. 

For what it's worth, I had been following along there for about 9 months and watching stuff, and put in a ballot last minute, and I did it with a top 6 consisting of Regal, Mysterio, Liger, Guerrero, Finlay, and Bryan (not giving away the order) and did it completely unapologeticaly. 

• Like 1

Steve Grey would have been in my top eight. I did a top ten, but went no farther than that because of too many gaps and because I didn't want to explain why I think Rick Martel is the fifth-best wrestler of all-time.

DEAN's defense of his list is the best. Every defense is one of self-evidence. "Why is Dick Murdoch the best wrestler of all-time? Because he is." And it seems so because DEAN said it. Also, he had Judy Martin at like 43, and I've always liked her as the glue guy in '80s WWF women's matches. 

Also, I agree that Jose Lothario is actually really good based on his Houston work and that Ernie Ladd is super-awesome. I've seen maybe five Ladd matches + a bunch of interviews, and that guy was the fucking best. 

MARK HENRAY in RIPPA's top forty is brilliant.

But then Jericho was like five spots above him and I was like oh, that's a downer. 

IMO, RIPPA's 41-50 had a number of people that I see as top fifteen or twenty. 

It's also interesting to see where people put the guys who are really very good, but rarely in great matches. Like, I'd rather watch fifty Tracy Smothers matches over fifty Ric Flair matches or fifty Arn Anderson matches over fifty Kenta Kobashi matches, but it's clear that Flair and Kobashi have more strengths as wrestlers than Smothers and Anderson and were able to reach higher heights on a much more regular basis. But those guys like Anderson, Smothers, Dundee, Eaton are so good at being good that it seems like they're ranked too high and too low all at once.

Someone ranking Scorpio #1 is brilliant. I believe that he's got to be a top twenty guy. Great in WCW, great in ECW, good in WWF even with that stupid dancing pimp gimmick, shows up in random Youtube indie matches from the '00s and is still damned good...top twenty.