DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Phase III Movie Discussion Thread

RIPPA

Hah! I love the random use of Jon Favreau's character in the poster. So I guess he's back.

Oh wait...Was it ever confirmed that Ice Cube was going to be JJJ?

I know it's kind of obnoxious, but from a marketing standpoint, I kinda can't blame them.  Every Marvel movie that has starred RDJ has made over $300 million.   The only other Marvel films to crack that number domestically are the GOTG movies.  RDJ = money.

So, if you're looking to give a boost to your new take on Spider-Man and distinguish it from the OTHER reboot we just got done with, it makes sense to feature the dude who's presence is guaranteed to get people through the door.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

Just wait until they follow BMB's lead and have Tony join the Guardians.

I actually liked it as a concept. It was just also totally wasted by Bendis & Gillen, for most part.

20 hours ago, EVA said:

I know it's kind of obnoxious, but from a marketing standpoint, I kinda can't blame them.  Every Marvel movie that has starred RDJ has made over $300 million.   The only other Marvel films to crack that number domestically are the GOTG movies.  RDJ = money.

So, if you're looking to give a boost to your new take on Spider-Man and distinguish it from the OTHER reboot we just got done with, it makes sense to feature the dude who's presence is guaranteed to get people through the door.

Said the same things to a best friend of mine.

On 5/10/2017 at 4:22 PM, Brian Fowler said:

That's a classic case of doubling down on what worked.

Ego explaining the metaphor in Brandy was one of the weakest points, I'll grant you.

But the use of Mr. Blue Sky was so fucking perfect.

I think using FLEETWOOD MAC as the big fight song was a bit of a reach, and the Ego planet segment went too long with not enough action, but I liked it. . .

• Dolfan in NYC changed the title to Marvel Phase III Movie Discussion Thread

The only thing that's bothering me right now is Peter vlogging like some sort of YouTube schmuck.  OK, fine. Some of those YouTubers that post all their vlogs have large followings and they are probably making a decent living or getting nice sponsorships by filming themselves gaming or doing whatever online.

But Peter can't exactly vlog and share those vlogs with anyone so...why is he doing it?

Because he's in that generation where they don't think they're living if they aren't filming it (most of them don't actually do that. But a lot of the more visible ones do, so people who are older think they're all like that).  

Much to my disappointment, it really does seem as if middle school to high school kids think their lives should be vlogged. I was at a friend's house and his kids and nephew were having a sleepover. The nephew was in middle school and was just video recording everything until my friend sternly told him to not record another second of video. That ended that.

What's weirder is that you go into Toys R Us and they sell these YouTube kits to record yourself, so it makes kids as young as first graders think they could be YouTubers and they know more YouTube personalities than TV or movie characters it seems like.

So Peter vlogging as Spidey makes sense to me because it's very much a product of it's time. 

5 hours ago, AxB said:

Because he's in that generation where they don't think they're living if they aren't filming it (most of them don't actually do that. But a lot of the more visible ones do, so people who are older think they're all like that).  

That doesn't make sense.  He's a superhero trying to maintain his identity.  So why is he filming himself?  Who is he talking to?  Who is he sharing these videos with?  It's still dumb.

He can't exactly be a YouTuber and maintain a secret identity.

Why not? He's youtubing as Spider-Man. He's still under a mask. His personality under the mask is different than when he's Peter. That's like saying he can't maintain a secret identity while still being in the public eye, except he's very much in the public whenever he's fighting crime. 

Apparently lots of youtubers who don't show their faces still record a lot of things they do, and commentate while doing it... even if they aren't going to share it with anyone in the forseeable future.

6 hours ago, AxB said:

Apparently lots of youtubers who don't show their faces still record a lot of things they do, and commentate while doing it... even if they aren't going to share it with anyone in the forseeable future.

Yeah they can still be identified.  Keep in mind Peter was so freaked about Tony Stark revealing his secret to Aunt May.  Also, he does show his face in his vlogs as was shown in one of those TV spots.  

• 2 weeks later...

Hannah John-Kamen (Black Mirror, Killjoys) has been cast in Ant-Man & The Wasp. No word on what role she's going to play. 

Paul Rudd, Evangeline Lilly, Michael Douglas, and Michael Pena have all been signed to return and Peyton Reed will be back to direct.

On 5/25/2017 at 3:17 PM, Mike Zeidler said:

You're telling me Robery Downey Jr. is going to be in the new Spider-Man movie?  Why haven't I heard anything about this yet?

Personally, I blame the Green Goblin.

I don;t know why everyone is so het up for Peyton Reed to return for the Ant-Man sequel.  He was given pre-comp scenes to mimic and shat on the movie/character during the entirety of shooting, so why invite him back?

They probably brought him back because he was in an unenviable situation and basically delivered for them on the movie.  People thought it would be Marvel's first bomb, and it ended up getting good reviews and it did even better than the first Captain America movie at the box office.

For Marvel, he was arguably reliable.

5 hours ago, J.T. said:

Hannah John-Kamen (Black Mirror, Killjoys) has been cast in Ant-Man & The Wasp. No word on what role she's going to play. 

Paul Rudd, Evangeline Lilly, Michael Douglas, and Michael Pena have all been signed to return and Peyton Reed will be back to direct.

I was just coming on here to tag @J.T. on this. 

• Like 1

I have already gotten the obligatory "that b1tch you leer at on that dumb show on syfy is going to be in a superhero movie." text from my significant other.

I think my "i KNOW, RIGHT~! :)" reply will lead to an argument when I get back from TDY.

• Like 1