DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Phase III Movie Discussion Thread

RIPPA

That's a classic case of doubling down on what worked.

Ego explaining the metaphor in Brandy was one of the weakest points, I'll grant you.

But the use of Mr. Blue Sky was so fucking perfect.

13 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

Ego explaining the metaphor in Brandy was one of the weakest points, I'll grant you.

I dunno. I liked him using the things Peter loved as a way to get Peter to see things his way. He's not explaining the metaphor so much as explaining his actions through a medium Peter will understand and connect with emotionally. 

The metaphor was less important in that scene, was my read on it.

• Like 2

On 4/20/2017 at 4:09 PM, The Unholy Dragon said:

Nine days later, the cast is posting pics from the wrap party.

Can't think of a major blockbuster to have so little leak from set recently tbh.

I'm in the movie business here in ATL, and rumor is the NDA's issued for guys that work on these Marvel films, which all filmed here now, are DICKS. You can lose your livelihood for leaking shit, so none of us "below the line" guys are leaking a gotdamn thing....

So, I just found out that an old friend of mine was an extra in Guardians and you can clearly see him in the movie, too. He was one of the Ravagers that were outside waiting for Yondu and you can see him over Yondu's right shoulder when he walking down the steps to confront Stallone(he's tall and rocking a mohawk). Pretty damn neat.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, APO said:

So, I just found out that an old friend of mine was an extra in Guardians and you can clearly see him in the movie, too. He was one of the Ravagers that were outside waiting for Yondu and you can see him over Yondu's right shoulder when he walking down the steps to confront Stallone(he's tall and rocking a mohawk). Pretty damn neat.

Guy I grew up with was Yondu's stand-in. Pretty cool.

45 minutes ago, John Austin said:

I'm not up on my Guardians lore, but  with  the talk of  the "original" Guardians at the end, i thought the originals were set in the future and a guy who had the Captain America shield?

They are. They are more of a tribute to the originals. I mean they represent little of the original team outside of names and races.

I was really hoping that was who Michael Rosenbaum was going to be. I assume they chose not to due to him technically being a mutant and them dropping the future aspect that usually sees him with the shield.

There are still so many characters they haven't used/basically not used in the cosmic/GOTG sphere. Even from the post-Annihilation 2008 team they've loosely based the movies on.

• Like 1

Which makes me sadder about no Vance since he was a part of both teams. I wanted Phyla-Vel & Moondragon though I knew that wasn't happening with Drax's changed history & no Mar-Vell established.

Girls and I watched Guardians 2 last weekend and really enjoyed it. I thought it was better than the first in that it gave each character more time to shine: Drax, especially. My youngest thought the first was better but my oldest agreed with me. We rewatched the first one the other day and I just felt the whole Ronan character was annoying, TBH.

Ronan being dumbed down into just a homicidal maniac was definitely the weakest part of that movie.

The only way they can do Heather and Phyla is too massively change their backstories, but I'd be okay with that. 

I never thought Phyla was actually somebody's favorite. She'd be easy to do, just make her somebody else's daughter. He real story (cloned daughter of Mar-Vell, because Genis faked things to show he wasn't a complete and total maniac) is too convoluted anyways. I always saw her as the very least of the Vell kids.

4 minutes ago, EVA said:

I don't think I've ever enjoyed a movie where I was acutely aware how not good it was while watching it more than GOTG2.

That was my exact experience with both Suicide Squad and Civil War tbh. 

That said, I think GotG 2 mostly manages to be good to great.

• Like 1