DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Phase III Movie Discussion Thread

RIPPA

8 hours ago, Mike Zeidler said:

There was a whole bunch of onscreen death for a movie marketed squarely at kids.

Given that the Jackson Pollock line in the first one as well as all the other relatively adult bits, I don't know who would mistake this for a kids movie. Hell, even the trailers for this had the 'sexual love' line which you wouldn't be likely to hear in a kid targeted movie.

That's not to say it doesn't have stuff that would appeal to kids, but the MCU is pretty firmly established as aiming for teens and up and this was totally in keeping with that, from promotion to delivery.

• Like 1

I think this might have been my favorite MCU film since Winter Soldier. Some of the comedy was poor but I laughed a lot and it was a beautiful film. It fleshed out the cosmic part of the universe quite well and there was a lot of character development here..   touching scenes,  tons of Easter eggs.   I liked it a lot.  I liked the villain way more than what we got in the first one too. 

One thing about you know who.  

When is dude going to start collecting these stones though? We have 3 movies before Infinity War. I think it'd be a mistake to take time from an Avengers movie to have him collect when they could easily do it in the post-credit scenes

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

One thing about you know who.  

Hide contents

When is dude going to start collecting these stones though? We have 3 movies before Infinity War. I think it'd be a mistake to take time from an Avengers movie to have him collect when they could easily do it in the post-credit scenes

I'm pretty sure Infinity War is going to be about Thanos acquiring the stones, and the sequel is going to be about Thanos ruling with the Gauntlet and how they defeat him.

Saw it a few hours ago with my brother and father. We loved it. I enjoyed it even more than the first. I appreciated the cameos during the credits. And that Stan Lee cameo has to rank up there among his best.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Johnny Sorrow said:

Comedy was poor? Dude, what the fuck are you NOT smoking? That movie was wonderful and all the jokes landed.

bro, Didn't you read where I said I was laughing a lot :lol: 

I didn't care for the penis jokes and the 5th time they did the taser face deal.  that's all.

22 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

bro, Didn't you read where I said I was laughing a lot :lol: 

I didn't care for the penis jokes and the 5th time they did the taser face deal.  that's all.

There was a lot of beating jokes into the ground. Taserface, groot trying to get the fin, etc

They're trying to be all things to all people. The jokes the adults don't like are generally the ones for the little kids (who are too young to understand much of the plot and really shouldn't be in there, but love lil' Groot anyway).

Thoughts (and I'm putting everything in spoilers)

I liked it a lot. I had heard that it was like the old Justice League comics where they split up the team into pairs/trios and they don't all come together again until the end, with the main criticism being that it was a bit of a slog in that, but it all moved far more quickly than I was expecting. It was constantly moving. What made the movie more than anything else was Kurt Russell as a real villain with some meat to him. I think Lee Pace is the best but there was nothing to Ronan. That's basically true for 75% of the Marvel Villains (maybe more). They get great actors and they waste them. That certainly wasn't the case here. Right down to the idea that Ego took the form that he thought Quill would respond best to (which is contradicted by the fact he did sort of chose Kurt Russell with his mother too, but he is his mother's son after all). It kept moving. Mostly all the arcs work. Having a villain to carry things made so much of a difference. I did miss Groot's empathy and wisdom and am glad they're going to keep evolving him. The Yondu/Rocket stuff really hit, the Gamora/Nebula stuff slightly less so but still successfully.

I thought most of the jokes, even the ones run into the ground, hit. During the Groot Goes On a Fetch Quest scene, I laughed as much in a theater over a single bit as I have in years. I didn't mind the Taserface stuff either. The only thing I think really didn't work as well as in the first movie was Drax. You got an inkling of real character from him with the Mantis stuff, but to go too deep in that direction would have gotten in the way of Yondu/Rocket, since it's basically the same idea, just turned down a few notches. In the first movie, he was more balanced by the deathwish/Thanos-revenge arc and that made him dangerous, where here he was just a doofus. 

As for canon/comics/references, I was fine with the changes to Ayesha. She was never a major character in the comics. I was introduced to her as a 90s-drawn sex symbol to prop up Quasar. This was as fine a take on her as any. I do hope they can get into the Starlin quest for meaning stuff when they bring Warlock in and that this origin doesn't turn him into a single-dimensional villain. The Stan Lee/Watcher stuff was great. Just great. It was so cool to see them like that. Ego ultimately felt a lot like Ego while being completely different. You'd think it'd be hard to make a whole movie around him but it did work. Part of why the Taserface stuff worked for me was that he's such a creature of 90s excess. I love the Valentino book (more on that in a moment) but it's definitely a creature of its time and yes, we should mock it when appropriate. Mantis isn't a character I was ever attached to. I came to her later when she had more of an eastern mysticism going (space eastern mysticism?) so she was fine, though maybe her innocence and Baby Groot's together (though I guess he was more "id) was a bit much. 

As for the direction/tone/samey-ness, I didn't see it. With everything established they were able to go deeper and wider. It felt more stylized (the panning opening with Baby Groot) and more surreal (the warping). I thought they used the music pretty smartly and the death count felt appropriate. I was particularly glad Kraglin made it through. It all felt more gleefully technicolor somehow, if that makes sense. 

Ok, so the Ravagers/Guardians. I cannot underestimate how important Guardians of the Galaxy (Valentino series) was to me as a kid. I don't know WHY I gravitated towards it so much but it, along with the Nicieza X-Force and a couple of years later, the Post-ZH LSH and Wolfman/Perez NTT(In back issues) were the most important comics to me as a young teenager. I came on around infinity war and hunted back issues. I think it was mainly how that series played and extrapolated the MU into the future. It was the ultimate continuity geek-out and that appealed to me at 13-14. I drew Guardians stars in my notebooks when the ADHD was in high effect during class. I had Victory (For Major Vance Astro) in my Prodigy chat name when I got one. And I had the Valentino/Liefeld poster with Major Victory wielding the shield. I even took that with me to college because it was obscure enough I felt I could get away from it  (I was hopeless anyway) and it was a piece of home. That's how a guy down the hall realized he had talked to me every day after school on Prodigy (Even though we were from different states), and he ended up rooming with me the next three years and being my best man at my wedding. We would have probably figured it out without that poster, but it would have taken a damn sight longer. I knew already what they did to Yondu here, and it was great just seeing glimpses of Starhawk and Martinex. I knew that was Charlie the second I saw him and that's about the moment I got emotional for Yondu's death. There was zero in Yondu of comics Yondu, just a look and the arrow, but it still felt like a nod, and if they're going to nod at something I loved from being a kid, then it's awesome that they did it with Stallone, etc. I have no idea how Yeoh's supposed to be Aleta mind you, but whatever. I get that they can't use Vance easily because he's a mutant (or what not). I get that they can't do the future thing. But if they can't do that, what they did do was both completely unnecessary and also well, well appreciated. Even years after the success of the first movie, a character like Martinex or Charlie-27 is 110% obscure, and they didn't have to do that. So I'm glad they did.

Yeah, I thought this whole thing was really strong. A little Drax goes a long way and we had too much of him. It made me wish for better utilized villains in most Marvel movies in general. I had a blast.

• Like 5

The only stuff I was perplexed about with the villain 

If he is a celestial, a God, I'm not understanding why he needed Mantis or how he could succumb to a bomb, like why he wouldn't just be able to flick it away, etc. and he's also supposed to be immortal.  Don't get me wrong, I loved the villain and Kurt Russell.  I thought he was one of the better villains they had. But you build him up as a God and then he doesn't really follow through. But it's a minor gripe, just one that I thought more people would point out

4 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

The only stuff I was perplexed about with the villain 

Hide contents

If he is a celestial, a God, I'm not understanding why he needed Mantis or how he could succumb to a bomb, like why he wouldn't just be able to flick it away, etc. and he's also supposed to be immortal.  Don't get me wrong, I loved the villain and Kurt Russell.  I thought he was one of the better villains they had. But you build him up as a God and then he doesn't really follow through. But it's a minor gripe, just one that I thought more people would point out

He needed Mantis because he couldn't let go of his love for Peter's mother, yet at the same time, he couldn't rest easy knowing what he did to her. He was a hypocrite and weak and instead of dealing with that, he just pushed it away, rationalized it, and had Mantis help him rest. He needed to go through with his plans because he was in so deep and couldn't face his own existence other than with the "purpose" he had decided upon. He ran away from anything more meaningful like interacting with other beings, even one that he loved. That's why he was a bad guy.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Matt D said:

Hide contents

He needed Mantis because he couldn't let go of his love for Peter's mother, yet at the same time, he couldn't rest easy knowing what he did to her. He was a hypocrite and weak and instead of dealing with that, he just pushed it away, rationalized it, and had Mantis help him rest. He needed to go through with his plans because he was in so deep and couldn't face his own existence other than with the "purpose" he had decided upon. He ran away from anything more meaningful like interacting with other beings, even one that he loved. That's why he was a bad guy.

I understand most of that but if he's a God who can create basically anything out of energy and he's also everywhere at all times, how is he unable to "see" what's happening with Rocket or Baby Groot and unable to just flick them away like they are nothing.  Yes, he's occupied with Peter but not the entire time. Also, Peter wasn't really his first and only love, I'm not sure he really cared that much about her. We see murals of him mating with all types of females of different races and species, he was "in love" thousands of times.  However, he did say that he killed her because if he had gone back a 4th or 5th time he would have never left Earth again so maybe..

The idea is that he mated a lot but only fell in love with Peter's mom. Also he had intense powers but it was unclear how omnipresent he was...he definitely knew about the bomb toward the end but he was so occupied fighting Peter (with the same power, and we saw Peter rescue his friends so it's easy to imagine he was preventing Ego from doing anything about the bomb). 

In terms of his godhood, it was played very much like he was a space brain that had an incredible ability to manipulate matter around him. However that brain is still vulnerable which is why he made the shell so tough. When Peter prevents him from defending it, he's toast.

Also the bit where Peter just unloads in him immediately after he says how he killed Peter's mom...I loved that. Felt raw as hell. As I said to a friend, so many movies do like "What?" "Oh, I killed her." "I don't understand." "I murdered her. To death." "What are you saying?" so I appreciated how well they handled it.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, The Unholy Dragon said:

Hide contents

The idea is that he mated a lot but only fell in love with Peter's mom. Also he had intense powers but it was unclear how omnipresent he was...he definitely knew about the bomb toward the end but he was so occupied fighting Peter (with the same power, and we saw Peter rescue his friends so it's easy to imagine he was preventing Ego from doing anything about the bomb). 

In terms of his godhood, it was played very much like he was a space brain that had an incredible ability to manipulate matter around him. However that brain is still vulnerable which is why he made the shell so tough. When Peter prevents him from defending it, he's toast.

Also the bit where Peter just unloads in him immediately after he says how he killed Peter's mom...I loved that. Felt raw as hell. As I said to a friend, so many movies do like "What?" "Oh, I killed her." "I don't understand." "I murdered her. To death." "What are you saying?" so I appreciated how well they handled it.

He said he was a celestial so I'm going by that and his powers appeared to be limitless. Totally agreed on the part where Peter unloads on him, that was cool as fuck. Love it.

I wonder how many superheavyweight cosmic characters you want, now that we have ...

Spoiler

Thanos, celestials, 2 champions, Adam warlock coming. Will the Carol movie introduce mar-vell? Will we get the other Titans? 

1 minute ago, odessasteps said:

I wonder how many superheavyweight cosmic characters you want, now that we have ...

Hide contents

Thanos, celestials, 2 champions, Adam warlock coming. Will the Carol movie introduce mar-vell? Will we get the other Titans? 

I'm not sure what the MCU owns now. FOX has Silver Surfer and Galactus. MCU must have Nova and annihilus.  I'd love him to show up holy shit. 

9 hours ago, odessasteps said:

There was a lot of beating jokes into the ground. Taserface, groot trying to get the fin, etc

The disturbing part of the Groot looking for the fin scenes is the hardest I have ever laughed in a theater, maybe ever. Like it was so hard I barely made a noise and was like that for a good minute or two. That was just so wrong.

1 hour ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I'm not sure what the MCU owns now. FOX has Silver Surfer and Galactus. MCU must have Nova and annihilus.  I'd love him to show up holy shit. 

I really want Annihilation, but its feels too far away with how things are set up and how much it would probably cost. If there is one thing I will always be pissed off about with Guardians its Gunn screwing over the Nova Corp.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

When did Marvel get Annihilus from FOX?